Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This is a bit of a tangent, but that's a lot of Italian names on the Argentinian team:
    • Nocioni
    • Ginobili
    • Oberto
    • Prigioni
    • Porta (mother's name is Pernigotti)
    • Delfino (maybe? listed as one in wiki)

And Scola isn't a very Spanish sounding name either, though his wiki page lists that he's Spanish.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    This is a bit of a tangent, but that's a lot of Italian names on the Argentinian team:
    • Nocioni
    • Ginobili
    • Oberto
    • Prigioni
    • Porta (mother's name is Pernigotti)
    • Delfino (maybe? listed as one in wiki)

And Scola isn't a very Spanish sounding name either, though his wiki page lists that he's Spanish.
    There are lots of Argentineans of Italian descent. In sections of BA, you'll hear more Italian spoken than Spanish.

http://www.usabasketball.com/seniorm...0Scores/34.pdf

A couple of quick observations after looking at the Greece/Argentina boxscore (didn't see the game, and haven't seen an Argentine game in the Olympics, so I welcome other insights):

1. Argentina relies heavily on 3-point shooting; they shot over 50% of their FG attempts from 3-point range, and hit a good percentage. We'll need to defend that aspect and not leave shooters open. They got to the line only 5 times, so they must not look for the drive very much.

2. They have a pretty thin rotation with 6 guys playing the great majority of minutes (and now Nocioni is hurting?). US depth, which comes in waves, could be decisive.

I saw the game roywhite and I think you're mostly right. I'd add though that Greece left Argentina open for threes all night, so there wasn't really too much of a reason for Argentina to look to drive too much. It's the only time I've seen them play, though. And, yes, Nocioni was hurt, but if I remember correctly he still played at the end of the game.

By the way, everyone always talked about how some of the teams wouldn't reveal all their tricks in pool play. Totally knew Coach K would throw a lineup of guards and small forwards with no big man on the court as one of his own tricks... I bet Singler was very proud of Lebron.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I saw the game roywhite and I think you're mostly right. I'd add though that Greece left Argentina open for threes all night, so there wasn't really too much of a reason for Argentina to look to drive too much. It's the only time I've seen them play, though. And, yes, Nocioni was hurt, but if I remember correctly he still played at the end of the game.
    Good point about Argentina getting open 3's. I think Greece decided that they were going to defend the lane and make Argentina beat them with outside shots, which they did. One other observation...I've never seen 2 teams complain SO MUCH about the officiating. There were certain fouls that looked like they could have been intentional, and the player would be arguing that it wasn't even a foul.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    In the spirit of Grammar Day, I believe you mean 'eminently reasonable.'
    Getting called out like that is really imbarassing.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    http://www.usabasketball.com/seniorm...0Scores/34.pdf

A couple of quick observations after looking at the Greece/Argentina boxscore (didn't see the game, and haven't seen an Argentine game in the Olympics, so I welcome other insights):

1. Argentina relies heavily on 3-point shooting; they shot over 50% of their FG attempts from 3-point range, and hit a good percentage. We'll need to defend that aspect and not leave shooters open. They got to the line only 5 times, so they must not look for the drive very much.

2. They have a pretty thin rotation with 6 guys playing the great majority of minutes (and now Nocioni is hurting?). US depth, which comes in waves, could be decisive.
    Greece is also the worst team in the tournament (statistically speaking) at defending the three. Also, it helps when you have Carlos Delfino deciding to channel Steve Kerr, but you are right. Argentina takes a lot of threes. However, it might surprise you that the US and China are the only two teams who have attempted more threes. I'm not so sure about the not-driving thing. Throughout the tournament Ginobili has been taking it to the hoop. I think maybe the foul CALLS were just scarce this game.

Manu gets no respect down under

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Never heard of Ginboli.

Nocioni vs. Kobe/D-Wade/Melo? I'll take the U.S. of A by a lot.
    During the opening ceremonies, The Australian TV announcers, when they weren't busy taking pot shots at the host nation, showed a disturbing lack of knowledge of sporting stars from other nations. Manu was the standard bearer for Argentina and they introduced him as "Emmanuel GIN-o BILL-y. he's one of their basketballers." Meanwhile the American media constantly gets slammed for being myopic.

Ginobili better pack a lunch. 40 minutes of Kobe/D-Wade is going to be tough to handle. It must be refreshing for our guys to reverse rolls - they spend 82 NBA games every year having to carry their teams offensively with other teams throwing waves of fresh defenders at them. A friend of mine made a great point when he told me to imagine what our opponents think when they cross half court with the ball and then see James, Bryant, and Wade pulling up their shorts to get in position to defend. Intimidating sight for sure.

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    In the spirit of Grammar Day, I believe you mean 'eminently reasonable.'
    "reasonably imminent?"

I hereby declare GRAMMER DAI over. Enough!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I hereby declare GRAMMER DAI over. Enough!!!!
    Which would be seasonably preeminent

mgtr- You are very funny.

Anyways, I say USA. By a lot.

We're going to kill them

This team hit it's tipping point sometime in the Spain game when they realized that their defense alone made them dominant over the most elite FIBA teams. With all due respect to the remaining teams, I truly expect us to thrash Argentina and whomever we play in the gold medal game. We're too deep, playing too hard, and too hungry. The World is getting our best and deserve the credit for bringing it out in us.

Ginobli is a great player,but having Kobe Dwayne and Tayshaun coming at him for 40 minutes is going to wear him out! Its going to be fun to watch.

110 - 78...however, I'm kinda hoping someone will give the US a good game...keep it within 12 or so.

Since there was some interest in the betting line in the USA---Australia game (for entertainment purposes only), I thought I'd pass along the Las Vegas line on the USA---Argentina game:

USA is favored by 19.5 or 20 points in the sources I've seen. A little closer than I expected, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Since there was some interest in the betting line in the USA---Australia game (for entertainment purposes only), I thought I'd pass along the Las Vegas line on the USA---Argentina game:

USA is favored by 19.5 or 20 points in the sources I've seen. A little closer than I expected, actually.
    Fear of Ginobli.

Rotation of 6, Lots of threes

sounds like vintage Bobby Cremins-era Georgia Tech teams to me.

I like our chances.

Tipoff

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    What is the date/time of the game? Doc
    Tipoff is 10:15AM EDT Friday morning (22:15 Beijing time) per official site