Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Thanks for the many updates!

Is that "Dawn of a New Day" poster that Coach Cut is holding in the picture on your site for sale anywhere? I checked goduke and didn't see it.
    Perhaps they'll be on sale at the first game... you could even get it autographed!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Thanks for the many updates!

Is that "Dawn of a New Day" poster that Coach Cut is holding in the picture on your site for sale anywhere? I checked goduke and didn't see it.
    That was a pretty cool picture opportunity. You can probably purchase a poster through the Duke SID office. If you buy a regular price season ticket at the ticket office, you can more than likely ask and get one. ... doing my part to market DFB

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Many HS's (at least the ones my children attended) give an extra grade point for each honors course taken. Consequently, with all honors courses, the potential GPA is 5.0.

sagegrouse
    My daughter is AP and she is on the same grading system

Gpa

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    How the heck does one get a 4.4 GPA? I don't like this gpa-inflation w/ some schools handing out 5.0's or very liberal in their giving of 4.5's.

[/random criticism]
    Honors courses: A=5.0
    AP courses: A=6.0

Grades are then reported as weighted vs unweighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    There's always a job for somebody with a good liberal arts education!
    Amen.

GTH,C. Bring on the season!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Literally. No kidding. You see the size of that guy?
    He's just a little smaller than Vince Oghobaase.... Vince is 6' 6'' and 300 lb.

FB verbals

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He is an honor student with a 4.4 GPA.

And he was offered by Florida State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, South Florida, Central Florida, Syracuse and Stanford. The last time Duke got a kid offered by Florida State was when???

--Jason "even before his first team gets on the field, it is impossible to ignore the ways Cut is making things better" Evans
    Are you sure his GPA is 4.4? We all know now that Coach Cut is looking for speed so I thought maybe it was his 40 yard dash time.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    That was a pretty cool picture opportunity. You can probably purchase a poster through the Duke SID office. If you buy a regular price season ticket at the ticket office, you can more than likely ask and get one. ... doing my part to market DFB
    I'll get my usual Family Plan tickets. Hopefully by next year a regular price ticket will be required to get a good seat!

Smile Happy hunting grounds

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Excepting only Southern Texas and So Cal, you don't need to recruit anywhere else in order to win. The level of Football played in the South East at the HS and College is so far beyond any other states, it is not even funny. Seriously, it is not a joke. It is bedrock fact.
    IMHO (with sagegrouse the "h" is always silent) I also think that we will soon return to our happy hunting grounds in the northeast. During the 20-30 year period where eastern college football consisted of Penn State and occasionally Pitt, Duke was a preferred destination for recruits from that region.

I think it is wonderful to kick butt in our home state, but having a national recruiting program is also good.

sagegrouse
    'Actually NC was a really good historical area for Duke recruiting. Sonny Jurgenson tells the story that after the No Car high school all-star game inthe 1950s, he and the other really good players conferred and all decided to go to Duke -- yay!'

"Actually NC was a really good historical area for Duke recruiting"

Gordon Carver
    Bob Gantt
    Billy Cox
    Jerry Barger
    Roy Hord
    Sonny Jurgensen
    Wray Carlton
    Mike McGee
    Jean Berry
    Stan Crisson
    Bob Matheson
    Al Woodall
    Leo Hart
    Wes Chesson
    Steve Jones
    Billy Bryan
    Troy Slade
    Tom Hall
    Charles Bowser
    Dennis Tabron
    Cedric Jones
    Chris Castor
    Emmett Tilley
    Walter Jones
    Dave Colonna
    Doug Green
    Clarkston Hines
    Quenton McCracken
    Corey Thomas
    Scottie Montgomery

That's off the top of my head and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure I've omitted some worthies. One of my major areas of disagreement with Ted Roof was his insistence that Duke couldn't recruit in-state. I don't know if admissions got tougher or it was just a self-fulfilling prophecy but Duke hasn't competed for recruits in its home state for far too long. I am absolutely delighted to see that change.

A word on GPAs. My children went to Enloe, which is Raleigh's GT magnet school, which means it has lots of AP and Honors classes. My son graduated with a 4.9 and wasn't even in the top 10%. IIRC, his valedictorian had something in the neighborhood of a 5.4.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    A word on GPAs. My children went to Enloe, which is Raleigh's GT magnet school, which means it has lots of AP and Honors classes. My son graduated with a 4.9 and wasn't even in the top 10%. IIRC, his valedictorian had something in the neighborhood of a 5.4.
    That's about what my high school's valedictorian had a few years back, I think. As someone mentioned, the transcript shows both the weighted and unweighted GPA, so colleges get both. Really its a useful tool, should an A in a standard class be the same as an A in an AP? It gets a little cloudier when you ask if an A in a standard class should be less than a B in an AP class, but no system is perfect...

Gpa

Heck, that's a LOW GPA for Enloe or some of the other HS in Raleigh for that matter. Some of our friends' children went to Enloe and a goodly number of students there skipped their lunch time so they could take 7 courses instead of the usual 6 so their GPA would be higher. They also took courses at NCSU so they could get a 6.25 instead of a 6.0 on their transcript if they earned an A in the college course.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    How the heck does one get a 4.4 GPA? I don't like this gpa-inflation w/ some schools handing out 5.0's or very liberal in their giving of 4.5's.

[/random criticism]
    By studying! It's good to see that we're landing stellar athletes without having to sacrifice academic standards. Keep it up Coach!

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Heck, that's a LOW GPA for Enloe or some of the other HS in Raleigh for that matter. Some of our friends' children went to Enloe and a goodly number of students there skipped their lunch time so they could take 7 courses instead of the usual 6 so their GPA would be higher. They also took courses at NCSU so they could get a 6.25 instead of a 6.0 on their transcript if they earned an A in the college course.
    That makes no sense to me, given that GPA is an average. How does adding more classes increase the potential maximum?

I know that back when I was in HS I only got an extra point (5 max) for APs (I went to a school where almost every class I took the last 2 years was an AP). I've never heard of this "6.0" for a class before. Is it just an east coast thing, or is it just new?

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    That makes no sense to me, given that GPA is an average. How does adding more classes increase the potential maximum?
    Adding more classes that are weighted as 5.0 or 6.0 raise your average by counteracting the "dead weight" 4.0's from introductory courses and classes with no AP (physical education, keyboarding, etc).

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post

I know that back when I was in HS I only got an extra point (5 max) for APs (I went to a school where almost every class I took the last 2 years was an AP). I've never heard of this "6.0" for a class before. Is it just an east coast thing, or is it just new?
    I am not going to defend the practice, but the way it works is that an A in an honors course is scored at 5.0 and an A in a non-honors course is scored a 4.0. Similarly for a B. Ergo a 4.4 could mean all A's and two honors courses (out of five). Or 2 A's and 3 B's in all honors courses. (Or some other combination.)

sagegrouse
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 08-19-2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Arithmetic mistake

If you're really that interested in Triangle-area valedictorian GPAs, the link below lists the 2008 folks. The Cardinal Gibbons valedictorian was in the 5.9 neighborhood.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

harding has a relatively high gpa, passed the academic screening for Stanford, a very solid addition, academically oriented to pick Duke over FSU, this kind of recruit makes our admin and our coaches happy = win, win, which of course we hope startes wth JMU!

Nice pick up!