Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

David Harding commits to Duke

Cutcliffe and company continue their recruiting success by getting a commitment from David Harding an OL from Orlando. He picked Duke over Florida State and South Carolina. Duke now has 22 commitments in 09.

http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com...duke-football/

Great! It's amazing to me how much Duke is recruiting in-region. 20 out of the 22 recruits are from the southeast (NC 9 , SC 3, FL 3, GA 4, VA 1). One is from Cali, and one is from MD.

Thanks, Watzone, for the news, and continued great job by Coach Cutcliffe and his staff. In reading a little about Harding, he seems to be a very highly regarded prospect who had a number of offers. In recruiting parlance, a good get.

He is an honor student with a 4.4 GPA.

And he was offered by Florida State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, South Florida, Central Florida, Syracuse and Stanford. The last time Duke got a kid offered by Florida State was when???

--Jason "even before his first team gets on the field, it is impossible to ignore the ways Cut is making things better" Evans

This is super cool.

Not only is Harding a major get, he's a major get in an area of significant need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Great! It's amazing to me how much Duke is recruiting in-region. 20 out of the 22 recruits are from the southeast (NC 9 , SC 3, FL 3, GA 4, VA 1). One is from Cali, and one is from MD.
    Coach Cutcliffe has said over and over again the top factor in recruiting (for the recruit) is geography and he's proving it as he and his staff outhustle many established programs in the southeast used to easy inroads in recruiting. Coach's connections while at Tennessee and Ole Miss are priceless to our program at this early stage of revival.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He is an honor student with a 4.4 GPA.

And he was offered by Florida State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, South Florida, Central Florida, Syracuse and Stanford. The last time Duke got a kid offered by Florida State was when???

--Jason "even before his first team gets on the field, it is impossible to ignore the ways Cut is making things better" Evans
    How the heck does one get a 4.4 GPA? I don't like this gpa-inflation w/ some schools handing out 5.0's or very liberal in their giving of 4.5's.

[/random criticism]

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Coach Cutcliffe has said over and over again the top factor in recruiting (for the recruit) is geography and he's proving it as he and his staff outhustle many established programs in the southeast used to easy inroads in recruiting. Coach's connections while at Tennessee and Ole Miss are priceless to our program at this early stage of revival.
    Target market = good football prospects who live in NC and other areas of the Southeast, and also have good academics and character?

Who would've thought it?

(And he's finding and connecting with this group!)

Where else do you need to recruit from?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Excepting only Southern Texas and So Cal, you don't need to recruit anywhere else in order to win. The level of Football played in the South East at the HS and College is so far beyond any other states, it is not even funny. Seriously, it is not a joke. It is bedrock fact.

Harding's commitment will hopefully segue into the commitments of a few other OLinemen that we're recruiting.

We have the QB and the HB. Now we just need a line to give them room to work.

Harding is a massive step in the right direction.

What's MOST exciting about this, however, is that we now have a coaching staff that will be able to really develop all this talent. We haven't had that in quite a while, IMO.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Kaufman View Post
    Harding is a massive step in the right direction.
    Literally. No kidding. You see the size of that guy?

Wow.

I don't care now that I have to take a 9 hour trip there and back each way for one game ESPECIALLY if we keep on getting talent like this.

Smile Honors Courses

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    How the heck does one get a 4.4 GPA? I don't like this gpa-inflation w/ some schools handing out 5.0's or very liberal in their giving of 4.5's.

[/random criticism]
    Many HS's (at least the ones my children attended) give an extra grade point for each honors course taken. Consequently, with all honors courses, the potential GPA is 5.0.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Excepting only Southern Texas and So Cal, you don't need to recruit anywhere else in order to win. The level of Football played in the South East at the HS and College is so far beyond any other states, it is not even funny. Seriously, it is not a joke. It is bedrock fact.
    I wasn't arguing there was anything wrong with this strategy. Just pointing it out. Certainly it's probably easier to focus your energies on one region of the country and be successful to get a lot of recruits while maximizing your resources - and it makes sense when that region has tons of talent. Duke basketball, on the other hand, does a much more national recruiting search. But there are far fewer players you have to look at (since the team is so much smaller) and Duke typically looks for very specific players, so they probably have to cast a wider net to find them. Obviously, the logistics for football and basketball are different - and basketball talent is spread more evenly across the country...Anyways, I'm excited!

Coach Cutcliffe is already dispelling Duke football recruiting myths left and right.

If this year's team wins four games or more, watch out! Next year's haul could be something special.

Cutcliffe Fever. I have it.

Say What?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Okay Devil in the Blue Dress, I know you were a teacher and you're smarter than me. But please explain what being able to figure out the particular angle of a triangle given two variables has to do with recruiting. I mean can't potential recruits take geometry most anywhere and isn't that a high school course? I don't care how he does it as long as he keeps reeling in good players and quantity to redshirt some of them. Five year seniors make a HUGE difference.

Hey, Watzone!

Thanks for the many updates!

Is that "Dawn of a New Day" poster that Coach Cut is holding in the picture on your site for sale anywhere? I checked goduke and didn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Okay Devil in the Blue Dress, I know you were a teacher and you're smarter than me. But please explain what being able to figure out the particular angle of a triangle given two variables has to do with recruiting. I mean can't potential recruits take geometry most anywhere and isn't that a high school course? I don't care how he does it as long as he keeps reeling in good players and quantity to redshirt some of them. Five year seniors make a HUGE difference.
    C'mon Latta, use your head.

Clearly, it's a short-hand remark for all of the higher applied math sciences.

(Overlooking the fact that there's a slight difference between geometry and geography. But I was a History major so it's all Greek to me).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    C'mon Latta, use your head.

Clearly, it's a short-hand remark for all of the higher applied math sciences.

(Overlooking the fact that there's a slight difference between geometry and geography. But I was a History major so it's all Greek to me).
    There's always a job for somebody with a good liberal arts education!