former WFU pres has died

This is the letter alumni received:

To Wake Forest Alumni and Friends:

We were profoundly saddened to learn a short while ago that President Emeritus Hearn passed away earlier today. His illness, which was diagnosed in 2003, recurred in recent weeks, and worsened rapidly.

Dr. Hearn was one of the greatest leaders in the history of the University. He served twenty-two years with great vision and integrity, and all who love Wake Forest are grateful for his legacy of achievement and the place the institution holds in American higher education.

A memorial service is being planned, tentatively for this Friday afternoon, August 22, in Wait Chapel. We will confirm those plans as soon as we know them. Please consult the Wake Forest website for more information in the coming days. You may send condolences to Mrs. Hearn at Post Office Box 7626, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC 27109; or you may enter messages in a guest book at
    wfu.edu/wowf/guest/hearn.

I know you join me in prayer and deep sympathy for Laura Hearn and all the members of the Hearn family.

Sincerely yours,

Nathan O. Hatch
    President

This email was dated yesterday 8/18/08. I do not believe that it had been made public that his brain cancer had returned. This is the first I've heard of it. Very sad. I met him several times while a student.

President Hearn took great personal interest in his students. The 1Ls at Wake Forest started classes before any of the other graduate or undergraduate schools in way-early August of 1984, and President Hearn noted in his welcoming speech to us that we were the very first group of students whom he had welcomed to campus. Three years later, at our law school graduation, he reminded us of that hot day in August when we were all new on campus together. He personally distributed our diplomas and posed for pictures with each of us at our graduation. I have displayed in my office a picture of me with President Hearn that was taken on my graduation day from Wake Forest. The only other non-family member whose picture I keep in my office is Coach K.

I held President Hearn in the highest regard, and my heart goes out to his family.