Football captains named

FYI,

From Duke press release.

"Re'quan Boyette, Vincent Rey, Tielor Robinson and Michael Tauiliili have been named captains for the 2008 Duke football team, announced on Monday by head coach David Cutcliffe.

The selection process included a vote by members of the team.

“Although it was clear cut who the top four people were, I was really pleased that so many different people got votes,” said Cutcliffe. “We had numerous other candidates but those four separated themselves. They have taken on a role on the field and are continuing to try and grow and understand their role off the field as they learn how to be captains. I think it is a great tribute to Re’quan Boyette to be hurt at this time and still have his teammates trust in him and believe in his leadership.”

Boyette, a senior running back from Wilson, N.C., is out indefinitely with a knee injury. He led Duke in rushing in each of the past two seasons and has 1,072 career rushing yards to his credit.

"We picked four guys who want to go out and lead on and off the field," Boyette said. "We want to go out and do the right thing on and off the field. To take something from Coach Cutcliffe, leading and winning is an 'all-the-time thing'."

Rey, a junior linebacker from Far Rockaway, N.Y., is the leading returning tackler for the Blue Devils after carding 111 stops a season ago. In 2007, Rey ranked fifth in the ACC and 47th nationally in tackles per game (9.25) and was tied for second in the league with three caused fumbles.

Robinson, a tight end from Greenwich, Conn., was granted a sixth season of eligibility prior to the 2008 season. He has played in 38 career games at both Army and Duke and enters the year with career totals of 678 rushing yards and 445 receiving yards along with 11 touchdowns.

Tauiliili, a senior linebacker from Houston, Texas, is the ACC's active leader in both career tackles (294) and tackles for loss (33.0). A preseason All-ACC pick by several publications, he has secured over 90 tackles and 10.0 tackles for loss in each of his first three seasons as a Blue Devil."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    A good group. Sort of surprised to see Tauiliili in there. Not because he's not deserving, just because of his problems last year with his arrest. Did he get those compeletly taken care of?
    Anyways, it's obvious he has the team's backing, and these are 4 people we will need on the field this year. It's unfortunate about Boyette, hopefully his recovery goes well.

Four deserving guys. Or, more appropriately, four guys who have earned the distinction.

Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sort of surprised to see Tauiliili in there. Not because he's not deserving, just because of his problems last year with his arrest. Did he get those completely taken care of?
    I asked Al Featherston that question on Saturday while sitting next to him at the scrimmage. He said the charges were plead down to a misdemeanor, and that whatever really happened was blown out of proportion initially. Case is closed. That's obviously second hand information, so take it for what it's worth, although my source is excellent.

We also played a little "what if". What if Del Donne hadn't been caught DUI underage and hadn't been suspended for two weeks? He might have started that next game (when Zack Asack did), and he might be our quarterback today, and his sister (who has been written about in her own thread as she didn't enroll at UConn) might have committed to Duke. We'll never know. Of course, if he had started, we might have won some games the last couple of years and we might still have Ted Roof as coach. We decided we're better off long run with things working out the way they did.

Congrats to our new captains!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Thanks for the update and I totally agree with your closing arguments. I think not only will Duke be the better team for it, but specifically on Asack, he will be a better man for it, regardless of whether he starts again. He seriously impressed me by his attitude during the year he was gone and since he's been back.