Maintaining Produce

Tomatoes. I put them on the counter and they go bad in a day or two. Longer life in the fridge though. Bananas. I put them in the fridge and they go bad in a day or two. Room temperature just fine.

Is there a general rule out there for determining which produce items go in the fridge, and which ones remain on the counter after bringing them home from the store?

The wasted squash alone cost me more than $5 last week.

-EarlJam

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Probably can judge by where you find them in the store. Bananas are always stored out of refridgeration, and tomatoes are found both in the chilled produce rack and in the aisle. I usually keep everything in the fridge. Except bananas. Sweetie pie jumped on me for that. I told her I hate bananas and didn't care. She didn't like me much that day.
    Also, those must have been some mighty ripe tomatoes. Even the ones I get out of my garden will last a couple days on the counter. If I buy them from the store, and they are pinkish, I will leave them out on purpose to ripen them up.

If you have floor vents put the 'maters on top of the vents - cooler than the counter warmer than the fridge.

not sure, but there's this bowl that you can buy at your local store that you put on the counter and it supposedly keeps your fruit and veggies good. I've never bought one, but I have friends who say they are awesome.

I would GENERALLY say that fruits with thick skins like bananas and oranges would do better on the counter, while thin-skinned fruits like tomatoes and apples would do better in the fridge... that's just a guess, though.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    If you have floor vents put the 'maters on top of the vents - cooler than the counter warmer than the fridge.
    And watch your step.

Here's a really helpful list for various types of produce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_c..._63068,00.html

Also, we tried some of the new green bags that are designed to keep produce fresher longer in the refrig and I can report that they do in fact work quite well. It seems to be well worth it even figuring in the cost of the bags. Plus, I just hate throwing money in the garbage every Sunday night.

Never keep tomatoes in the refrigerator. Below 50 degrees, the chemicals responsible for giving the tomato its flavor shut down and do not revive.

They, along with many fruits and some veggies, ripen in the presence of ethylene gas so it's best to keep them in a well ventilated area (like a basket that allows air flow all around the fruit. It also the reason for the banana "tree", which also prevents bruising, you often see marketed in the produce area in grocery stores.

Slicing tomatoes (beefsteak, et al) purchased in a grocery store are gonna' go bad fast (because they are picked green and saturated with ethylene gas to ripen them in transit) so only buy what you need. Roma tomatoes (also called "Plum" will last for 5-7 days if rinsed and placed in a wicker basket. Keep an eye on them though because if one goes "bad" it will spoil the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Here's a really helpful list for various types of produce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_c..._63068,00.html

Also, we tried some of the new green bags that are designed to keep produce fresher longer in the refrig and I can report that they do in fact work quite well. It seems to be well worth it even figuring in the cost of the bags. Plus, I just hate throwing money in the garbage every Sunday night.
    Awesome, thanks! Great stuff! I shall print this!

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Never keep tomatoes in the refrigerator. Below 50 degrees, the chemicals responsible for giving the tomato its flavor shut down and do not revive.

They, along with many fruits and some veggies, ripen in the presence of ethylene gas so it's best to keep them in a well ventilated area (like a basket that allows air flow all around the fruit. It also the reason for the banana "tree", which also prevents bruising, you often see marketed in the produce area in grocery stores.

Slicing tomatoes (beefsteak, et al) purchased in a grocery store are gonna' go bad fast (because they are picked green and saturated with ethylene gas to ripen them in transit) so only buy what you need. Roma tomatoes (also called "Plum" will last for 5-7 days if rinsed and placed in a wicker basket. Keep an eye on them though because if one goes "bad" it will spoil the bunch.
    Awesome II! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post

Well stated! I grew up having the privilege of eating fresh produce from the garden. (At the time, I thought we did it to save money.) I realized in recent years that I missed the flavor of truly fresh produce. You didn't ask for this advice, but I'll say it nonetheless. Patronize your local farmer's markets. Not only will your produce taste better, you'll be able to choose from among fruits and vegetables which can last more than two days because they were not picked a week ago and transported hundreds or thousands of miles. You may even find that you feel better!

Look at the choices

EJ:here are a few more thoughts on buying local produce.

When you buy local tomatoes which are plentiful right now, you find a great array of varieties being grown compared with what's in the grocery store. The heirloom tomatoes are wonderful for their different tastes and textures. My current favorites are Cherokee Purple and German Johnson. The heirloom varieties will be oddly shaped and rather bumpy compared to the more even, or symmetrical shapes of the hybrids (most of those in the stores).

There are multiple kinds of "bell peppers." Interesting colors to use in your salads or casseroles.

There is no comparison between fresh green beans and those from a can or even the frozen ones. The fresh ones can be so flavorful you may not even need to season them. Ask the vendors what varieties are available. You may find one that's your favorite.

Want those tender, young summer squash that aren't loaded with seeds? Your local farmers will have those ready right now along with the zucchini and other summer varieties.

The beauty of shopping locally for produce is that your diet will be varied if you buy primarily what is in season. What a great outing for a Saturday!