Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

propanolol

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    Propanolol

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.../1009/SPORTS01

i read that musicians often take it before auditions to steady their hands.
    Before speaking publicly to large (or small) groups, I have known of several people to take this (or similar beta-blocker) to calm their anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    He didn't shoot at the wrong target this time. He did that back in 2004. This time, apparently, his finger slipped while lowering his gun toward the correct target, leading to a way premature shot and a bad score on the 130th and last shot.
    Ooh, I guess just bad luck then. Sucks for him I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Did you catch the pile-up in the water hazard during the women's steeplechase? One went down and about 5 ended up falling over her. Perhaps people only watch this event for the crashes?
    I saw that. Looked like the Spanish girl had a concussion from it, falling everywhere after that... So this is the NASCAR of running?

Question So...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Before speaking publicly to large (or small) groups, I have known of several people to take this (or similar beta-blocker) to calm their anxiety.
    So how many dopers have been caught so far in these Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I heard yesterday that Greece alone had ~15 athletes (weightlifters mostly) who were caught, but judging by that number, I'm guessing they were caught in the pre-Olympic trials, not in Beijing.

not enough.

beta blockers and public speaking

I have no earthly idea-I was just adding/responding to a post about propanolol by dukie8 about musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    not enough.
    I'm genuinely curious, is there any part of the Olympics you enjoy?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I'm genuinely curious, is there any part of the Olympics you enjoy?
    I'd wager that he enjoyed the track&field men's 400m hurdles.

I'd wager that he enjoyed the track&field men's 400m hurdles.
    Yeah, unless he thinks one of them should be caught for doping...

On the 400m, though, great story about the guy who won fighting through injuries and coming back for his second gold 8 years after his first. Shame that our #2 guy seriously stutter-stepped into the last hurdle, but I don't think he was going to track down the leader.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Racewalking

Why?

Racewalking
    Racewalking is a long-distance athletic event. Although it is a foot race, it is biomechanically different from running in that one foot must appear to be in contact with the ground at all times.
    They showed a slo-mo replay of the Russian girl in the lead, and it clearly showed at times both her feet were indeed off the ground, but since the judges only make the call with the naked eye, she's not cheating. I'm sorry if anyone has done this "sport" before, but this is the dumbest "sport" in the Olympics IMO.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Why?

Racewalking

They showed a slo-mo replay of the Russian girl in the lead, and it clearly showed at times both her feet were indeed off the ground, but since the judges only make the call with the naked eye, she's not cheating. I'm sorry if anyone has done this "sport" before, but this is the dumbest "sport" in the Olympics IMO.
    [NOTE: I deleted three confused emoticons after "Why?" in hcd's original quote, so that I could use emoticons.]

As for the judges, having competed in racewalking events before at a lower level, all I can say is the judges I've seen really watch your every step (I imagine sort of like those judges who watch every stroke in a swimming event). They are particularly vigilant in the last 1000m or so in a 10 km race.

Judges of dubious quality in the Olympics... not like we haven't heard complaints about that in other "sports," eh? Outside of the Olympics, I hear there are a few umpire spots available in ML Baseball. Some "sport!" Over in that "sport" the umpires sometimes can't even tell if a ball is foul, or even if it's a home run.

As for racewalking's physical nature, one typically involves more the arms and shoulders than in standard running events, while attaining the same level of fatigue and wear on the legs and hips. The knees attain less fatigue than in a standard distance run event. Some would argue that the hips attain more wear, but I experienced more wear on my hips when I ran cross country than when I racewalked.

As for "dumbest" event in the Olympics, the 1968 men's 20 km race was decided by 1.5 seconds, when the Soviet held off the home country's Pedraza. Often a 20km race will be decided by seconds. It's no "dumber" than, say steeplechase (oh no, not THAT post again) or the 10km run... or perhaps the analogy is best with swimming. Why have events for all of those strokes? Why not eliminate the backstroke, or breastsroke (NOTE: I am NOT advocating this)? Those are different gaits, but just as grueling. Same deal with racewalking vs. running.

Cheers,
    Lavabe