Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Duke Football Previews

Its that time of year again. Football previews are popping up like summer thunderstorms. Here is one from Techsideline on Duke's team for next year. They also have a Clemson and BC preview up for you football fans.

Cutcliffe Article on recent press conference

Not a lot of new info, but Cutcliffe's enthusiasm is being noticed.

http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/731688.html
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Its that time of year again. Football previews are popping up like summer thunderstorms. Here is one from Techsideline on Duke's team for next year. They also have a Clemson and BC preview up for you football fans.
    I liked his comment on Thad:

Thad Lewis is the best quarterback you've never heard of. Last season he threw for 2,430 yards and 21 touchdowns, with just 10 interceptions. And he was only a true sophomore.
    I hope he can start getting some credit.

Another preview

Here is the College Football News preview of Duke. They mention the possiblity of Duke winning 3 games and the UVA game as Duke's best chance to get an ACC win.

Here is the College Football News preview of Duke. They mention the possiblity of Duke winning 3 games and the UVA game as Duke's best chance to get an ACC win.
    both of the reviews kind of miss. For example the one linked above - on the one hand talks about Cut's offensive schemes, no-huddle, hurry up, and then on the other talks about how our o-line needs to give Lewis a tick or two longer to find Eron Riley, which is incongruous. A click or two longer suggests throwing deep to Eron, which surely will happen some, but Cut's offense will have mostly short passes, many more than last year, so that Lewis does not need as much time. It is a pretty common misnomer to say that the o-line was terrible last year and that this was the (main or only) reason for the sacks, forced throws, fumbles. With the throw discipline of say a Spurrier coached team, whereby qbs get rid of the ball quickly, our o-line would have looked a lot better last year.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    both of the reviews kind of miss. For example the one linked above - on the one hand talks about Cut's offensive schemes, no-huddle, hurry up, and then on the other talks about how our o-line needs to give Lewis a tick or two longer to find Eron Riley, which is incongruous. A click or two longer suggests throwing deep to Eron, which surely will happen some, but Cut's offense will have mostly short passes, many more than last year, so that Lewis does not need as much time. It is a pretty common misnomer to say that the o-line was terrible last year and that this was the (main or only) reason for the sacks, forced throws, fumbles. With the throw discipline of say a Spurrier coached team, whereby qbs get rid of the ball quickly, our o-line would have looked a lot better last year.
    That is true to some extent but when your line is that bad it allows the defense to crowd the line and jump the short passes. When the defense can get away with only rushing 4 and wreaking havoc your offense is going to struggle.

It doesn't matter what type of offense you run -- if the other team controls the line of scrimmage you are fighting an uphill battle.

Having said that, if we could kick field goals the last two years we would be in a less miserable postion than we are. Cut said that was going to be a priority and I look forward to improvement in that area over the next few years.

I agree. There is really no excuse to have a miserable special teams unit. Last year was mind-numbing. If we can turn that around and improve overall discipline, we can start moving in the right direction. Combine that with Coach Cut's impressive recruiting. Throw in a solid portion of better and more creative coaching. Add a dash of better facilities. And, brother, we are on the way to respectability.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It doesn't matter what type of offense you run -- if the other team controls the line of scrimmage you are fighting an uphill battle.

Having said that, if we could kick field goals the last two years we would be in a less miserable postion than we are. Cut said that was going to be a priority and I look forward to improvement in that area over the next few years.
    Actually, what Cut proposes, in his form of no-huddle, hurry-up, is both more challenging and yet easier on o-lineman. It is more challanging because there are more plays for our o-lineman to learn. On the other side of the coin - the mandate is to get rid of the ball more quickly. This means the o-lineman hold for shorter periods of time. The mandate is shorter pass routes, including throwing to tight ends, H backs, backs in general. These short routes pull linebackers away from the line, as they need to hold back to cover these short routes. Since fewer folks can then stack the line, pushing linebackers back, the pass frees up the running game. The hardest thing for o-linemen to support is an offense predominated by long pass plays, which was last season. Qbs of teams with the best o-lines in the pros - the Giants, the Patriots, get rid of the ball quickly on pass plays. We have some pretty talented and intelligent o-lineman. With quicker pass routes, a multitude of plays, you will have a good chance to notice how well these guys can play.

Hopefully, that new freshman kicker Cut bagged will help. According to scout, Paul Asack is the 15th best kicker in the country.

Actually, what Cut proposes, in his form of no-huddle, hurry-up, is both more challenging and yet easier on o-lineman. It is more challanging because there are more plays for our o-lineman to learn. On the other side of the coin - the mandate is to get rid of the ball more quickly. This means the o-lineman hold for shorter periods of time. The mandate is shorter pass routes, including throwing to tight ends, H backs, backs in general. These short routes pull linebackers away from the line, as they need to hold back to cover these short routes. Since fewer folks can then stack the line, pushing linebackers back, the pass frees up the running game. The hardest thing for o-linemen to support is an offense predominated by long pass plays, which was last season. Qbs of teams with the best o-lines in the pros - the Giants, the Patriots, get rid of the ball quickly on pass plays. We have some pretty talented and intelligent o-lineman. With quicker pass routes, a multitude of plays, you will have a good chance to notice how well these guys can play.
    Thanks, fda. I assume Cut's emphasis on conditioning will also be a positive factor here.

You may be able to address this -- my thought over the last few years is that we have starters who are able to compete in the ACC. The biggest difference between us and some of the powerhouses is that they can go two or three deep at most positions (excluding QB) and they can circulate them in and out while our main guys get worn down. Am I way off on that? (I would not be surprised if I am). Perhaps again conditioning will help solve some of that problem.

Thanks, fda. I assume Cut's emphasis on conditioning will also be a positive factor here.

You may be able to address this -- my thought over the last few years is that we have starters who are able to compete in the ACC. The biggest difference between us and some of the powerhouses is that they can go two or three deep at most positions (excluding QB) and they can circulate them in and out while our main guys get worn down. Am I way off on that? (I would not be surprised if I am). Perhaps again conditioning will help solve some of that problem.
    With the no-huddle, hurry-up conditioning is very helpful, no doubt.

If we get into a rhythm offensively, so that with each pass play our qbs take x amount of time, a shorter amount of time than last year, to throw, our o-line guys ought to stay fresher, stronger longer. Also, if we back up the linebackers with short routes, our guys ought not to be pounded as often (like what tended to happen last season with the emphasis on long passing routes) by linebackers. We will be running more reps on offense (hopefully, with first downs), but stress per rep should be less, and the physical exertion more varied - throwing the running plays in there.

Yes, conditiioning is key, and I think we are pretty good 2 deep in the o-line this year.

With the no-huddle, hurry-up conditioning is very helpful, no doubt.

If we get into a rhythm offensively, so that with each pass play our qbs take x amount of time, a shorter amount of time than last year, to throw, our o-line guys ought to stay fresher, stronger longer. Also, if we back up the linebackers with short routes, our guys ought not to be pounded as often (like what tended to happen last season with the emphasis on long passing routes) by linebackers. We will be running more reps on offense (hopefully, with first downs), but stress per rep should be less, and the physical exertion more varied - throwing the running plays in there.

Yes, conditiioning is key, and I think we are pretty good 2 deep in the o-line this year.
    Thanks. -- OPK

UVA is best chance for a win

followed closely by NC State. I also think UNC will be a close game too. First time poster, long time lurker.

It may be a rough go for Duke in the first season under Cutcliffe but it was definitely a good move in the long. Improvement will be definitely be seen in year two.

My Duke Preview
    http://accsec.blogspot.com/2008/07/d...s-at-duke.html

Quote Originally Posted by accsecblog View Post
    followed closely by NC State. I also think UNC will be a close game too. First time poster, long time lurker.

It may be a rough go for Duke in the first season under Cutcliffe but it was definitely a good move in the long. Improvement will be definitely be seen in year two.

My Duke Preview
    http://accsec.blogspot.com/2008/07/d...s-at-duke.html
    Interesting blog sites, and thanks for the info. The best measuring stick for me about where our program has been: I am a Duke grad but live in Georgia; I know more about SEC football and UGa/USC than about the ACC football teams. I think that's about to change, although it will be a tough road.

Your call of 3 wins may well be true, although I think our improved conditioning and attitude will take us further than that. But a dose of reality is not a bad thing either.

I hope you will join the conversation again as the season progresses.

-- OPK

Duke should beat James Madison, Northwestern, and will have a good chance against the Wahoos, Commodores, and GT is going to be attrocius. Couple that with Miami (FL) having a brand new quarterback and playing tons of freshman and Duke might get 3-5 Wins out of that bunch. Navy will be a tough game, last 4 games against Navy, DUke is 0-4 losing 12-27, 21-28, 13-38, and 43-46 plus they return Kaheeaka-Enhada. VaTech, UNC, Clemson, Wake, NC State, Miami 9just because of the sheer athletes they have) are the only major disadvantage games I see.

08 Expectations

Your call of 3 wins may well be true, although I think our improved conditioning and attitude will take us further than that. But a dose of reality is not a bad thing either.
    -- OPK
    3 wins this year would be a purposeful step in the right direction. I am as excited about the future of Duke football as anyone, but I don't think it would benefit the program to have inflated expectation and fall short. After all, there have been no major talent upgrades (on the field) in the past year. Good coaching, conditioning, and attitude/excitement is a great start, but it will take a few years for this extreme make-over, Duke football edition to generate major returns.

IMO, the expectation meter should be something like this ...
    0 wins = same old Duke football we've come to know and tolerate
    1 win = hey, it's better than no wins, but ... when does basketball start?
    2 wins = baby steps
    3 wins =
    4 wins = what's that I see at the end of the tunnel? Hopefully it's not an oncoming train.
    5 wins = Cutcliffe Field at Wallace Wade has a nice ring to it
    6+ wins = I think my Cutcliffe cool-aid was spiked (can I have some more?)

I'm expecting more, because of the weakness of the Coastal Division, we have a lot more possibilities.

@Wake, @GT, Miami, Carolina, State, and UVA are all winnable games by all measures. Wake, we've played closer than we should have given the disparity in everything. GT is rebuilding and if the Paul Johnson offense is failing (i.e, creamed by BC, VT, and Miss St the weeks before our game), it could come out well. Miami is a young, less-experienced team who we've played closer than we should have. Carolina, throw out all the stats and everything else. And see last year. State is predicted 5th/6th in the Atlantic, and it's a home game. And UVA is going to have a massive drop with all of their issues this year. And out of the ACC, Vandy is just a big question mark.

Add those to first 3 games, and honestly, we could start off on a 5-0 run (4-0 is my best guess, but if we somehow pull of the GT upset and then a Miami upset... Vandy is certainly weaker than Miami, and Wake, well... they're Wake). We haven't seen a Duke team start a season with confidence in a long time, and given that Clemson and VT, the only games I would consider absolute losses (barring a miracle), are #10 and #11, there could be a lot to cheer about in Wally Wade come November 29th. I'm not predicting anything close to a 10-2 season, but I think 7-5 isn't unreasonable given our schedule. Mind you, anything over 3 (the number we would've had last year without the Navy and Carolina debacles) would more than satisfy me, but saying we're not a possible bowl team is crazy, given the total weakness of our division. We have the talent. We have the coach. We have the most favorable schedule we will get for a while, with relatively easy OOC games against BCS teams (Vandy and NW being at/near the bottoms of their conferences, Navy in serious rebuilding, and JMU being I-AA, even a good I-AA, with less depth than a I-A has).

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBlue View Post
    3 wins this year would be a purposeful step in the right direction. I am as excited about the future of Duke football as anyone, but I don't think it would benefit the program to have inflated expectation and fall short. After all, there have been no major talent upgrades (on the field) in the past year. Good coaching, conditioning, and attitude/excitement is a great start, but it will take a few years for this extreme make-over, Duke football edition to generate major returns.

IMO, the expectation meter should be something like this ...
    0 wins = same old Duke football we've come to know and tolerate
    1 win = hey, it's better than no wins, but ... when does basketball start?
    2 wins = baby steps
    3 wins =
    4 wins = what's that I see at the end of the tunnel? Hopefully it's not an oncoming train.
    5 wins = Cutcliffe Field at Wallace Wade has a nice ring to it
    6+ wins = I think my Cutcliffe cool-aid was spiked (can I have some more?)
    That chart of yours may be right on the mark. My expectations are slightly higher, though, because I see some on field improvement accruing just by having a more competent coaching staff. Plus this -- the less than talented team of last year can't help but improve based solely on the improved conditioning of the players. I am eager to get the season going. I just love the way Cut's first full recruiting class is building, and it will be nice to be joined by the Manning brothers in the fan base.

I didn't mean to spark a debate on the number of wins. I think we really have to take this game by game and see what happens. It's hard for me to pick a number and say I'll be satisfied with X but not with Y.

James Madison is one of the better D-II teams in the country. Let's start there and work our way down the schedule.

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle...ATCLID=1511878