Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Phelps 100m Butterfly

Did he really just win that race?

Even on the replay it looked like he lost by a split second.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Did he really just win that race?

Even on the replay it looked like he lost by a split second.

-EJ
    i don't think he won that either.

You can only tell in slo-motion. Heck, he only won by one one-hundredeth of a second.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    You can only tell in slo-motion. Heck, he only won by one one-hundredeth of a second.
    yeah, but the other guy's hands were on the wall before phelps's hands. time for swimming to use instant replay.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    yeah, but the other guy's hands were on the wall before phelps's hands. time for swimming to use instant replay.
    I thought they used some kind of high tech to tell when the wall is touched.

Touchpads, and if you don't finish strong, you lose.

To me, from the underwater slo-mo camera, it looked like Phelps right hand touched before the 2nd place guy.

Either way, one amazing thing to me is that the announcers aren't calling this out as a controversy. Is it not? Maybe not.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    To me, from the underwater slo-mo camera, it looked like Phelps right hand touched before the 2nd place guy.
    That's a little bit damning, since in fly your hands have to touch simultaneously...

Oh, it is destined to be controversial...

im pretty sure its not human decisions, but as someone said, touchpad sensitive - unless you are claiming the touchpads were rigged.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    im pretty sure its not human decisions, but as someone said, touchpad sensitive - unless you are claiming the touchpads were rigged.
    touchpads can screw up. the cyclops makes mistakes all the time in tennis. i'd like to see a slow-mo on that finish from above.

there is zero controversy about this. its electronic. the other guy was coasting, phelps went in full bore. he won, clearly -- even in the replay.

Quote Originally Posted by DGood View Post
    there is zero controversy about this. its electronic. the other guy was coasting, phelps went in full bore. he won, clearly -- even in the replay.
    there was nothing clear about that finish so i don't know why you are proclaiming it to be so. electronics can make mistakes too.

Oh no, we are now sounding like the EK and PPB boards...

Quote Originally Posted by DGood View Post
    It's like sliding into first base vs. diving into first base. But still, even if the dude "coasted" into the touch pad, touching it softly a hundredth of a second before Phelps "slammed" into it; well, the "second place dude" should get the win. He was there first.

-EJ, a Phelps fan

Just looked at multiple replays. I, a Phelps fan, still think Phelps lost that race.

-EJ

It's like sliding into first base vs. diving into first base. But still, even if the dude "coasted" into the touch pad, touching it softly a hundredth of a second before Phelps "slammed" into it; well, the "second place dude" should get the win. He was there first.

-EJ, a Phelps fan
    well the serbs are filing a protest. i think that they have a good case.

Just looked at multiple replays. I, a Phelps fan, still think Phelps lost that race.

-EJ
    really? from the underwater replay it looked like a tie to me (which it essentially was)

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    touchpads can screw up. the cyclops makes mistakes all the time in tennis. i'd like to see a slow-mo on that finish from above.

Not disagreeing with you in that touchpads can screwup, but pressure plates and photooptics are very different...