Violation myths (thanks Feldspar) - NO travel

I apologize upfront because I don't have the time right now to include the text from the rule book. But I wanted to share a few violation myths that I think are common misconceptions. I'm a huge bball fan, huge Duke fan, longtime lurker on the boards, but few time poster. I am not a certified referee, however I did start the process and completed the "classroom" portion of the certification. This is where I learned most of these. Here we go:

1. As Feldspar stated from the beginning, Green did NOT travel in the Georgetown game. (ok, yes he did, but it was not at the point in the play that everyone originally claimed). Feldspar listed the rule. It is only a travel if your foot comes back to the ground before you pass or shoot.

2. You CAN move your feet on a spot-throw-in from out of bounds. Most people believe you can't shuffle your feet, i.e. you can't "travel". That's not true. The player throwing the ball in is given a 3 foot box within which he can move. If he breaks the boundaries of that box, it's a travel, but as long as he's in that box, he can do whatever he wants. Think the Duke/Indiana regional. I swore it was a travel because he shuffled his feet. It may have been a travel if he went outside the box, but not because of the shuffling.

3. If a player shoots an airball, he CAN get his own rebound. Most people believe that this would be considered a "pass to yourself" which you can't do. But, if in the judgement of the official, the player takes a "legitimate try for a goal" (or in other words, he really tries to shoot it), he can get the rebound just like anyone else. Think about it. If that were a violation, it would penalize the player for being a poor shooter, it wouldn't make sense.

Would I recommend that you make any of these call when you're playing pick-up ball....probably not. Or if you do, you can expect to be laughed it, but guess what, you'll be right.

Nice job...

Now, did anyone recognize the "controversial play" in the last three minutes of the Vandy-GU game in which a rule was completed conjured out of thin air by Mr. Packer? If you didn't catch that one, you probably think Feldspar has no clue what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    Now, did anyone recognize the "controversial play" in the last three minutes of the Vandy-GU game in which a rule was completed conjured out of thin air by Mr. Packer? If you didn't catch that one, you probably think Feldspar has no clue what he's talking about.
    I didn't catch that, probably because I tune out all commentary relating to the officials that Packer makes. What did he say?

Tip for the casual fan: You would be well off to not trust what the commentators say about the rules. Yes, sometimes they are correct, but more often than not, in my experience, they are basing their statements off conjecture and a misunderstanding of the rules of basketball.