Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

Text Messaging/Cell Phone Question

I've got a feature on my cell that is driving me freakin' nuts and was wondering, since we have experts on everything here at DBR, if someone might be able to tell me how to turn it off.

When sending a text message my phone tries to predict the next word you are going to enter and automatically enters it for you. You can ignore this and it will go away when you keep entering text manually but it still drives me nuts as sometimes I don't notice it has entered another word and I end up sending a text with an added word. Plus, it is just plain irritating.

I would love to turn this feature off but cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to do so. I even took it back to the place where I bought it and they couldn't figure it out either. If it makes any difference I am using a Samsung M300.

Are you sure it starts in the T9 mode? When I tried creating an SMS on an M300, it seems to start in the "Abc" mode. You can change the text entry setting here: Settings -> Display -> Text Entry

Looks like you can change the "prediction start" to the 5th letter, but I don't see anything that will let you completely turn it off, if it starts with it on your phone. I guess you'll have to (right click)+(2) to put it in Abc mode when you start an SMS otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    I've got a feature on my cell that is driving me freakin' nuts and was wondering, since we have experts on everything here at DBR, if someone might be able to tell me how to turn it off.

When sending a text message my phone tries to predict the next word you are going to enter and automatically enters it for you. You can ignore this and it will go away when you keep entering text manually but it still drives me nuts as sometimes I don't notice it has entered another word and I end up sending a text with an added word. Plus, it is just plain irritating.

I would love to turn this feature off but cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to do so. I even took it back to the place where I bought it and they couldn't figure it out either. If it makes any difference I am using a Samsung M300.
    Colchar - want to trade phones? My texting defaults to the regular alphabet mode and I'd love to figure out how to switch it to default to the predictive dictionary lookup!
    Last edited by DukeUsul; 08-14-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: minor clarification

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Are you sure it starts in the T9 mode? When I tried creating an SMS on an M300, it seems to start in the "Abc" mode. You can change the text entry setting here: Settings -> Display -> Text Entry

Looks like you can change the "prediction start" to the 5th letter, but I don't see anything that will let you completely turn it off, if it starts with it on your phone. I guess you'll have to (right click)+(2) to put it in Abc mode when you start an SMS otherwise.
    When I turn on T9 mode things get even stranger and it keeps popping in words as soon as I punch in a letter. For example, if I press the #4 key to type in the letter H, the first letter that comes up is I and, if I hit that key again, it comes up with the word Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Colchar - want to trade phones? My texting defaults to the regular alphabet mode and I'd love to figure out how to switch it to default to the predictive dictionary lookup!
    Sure, I can always get it unlocked to work on the Virgin network.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of phone do you have?

I'm seriously thinking of buying a Blackberry or one of the phones with the little slide-out keyboard but, as a grad student who has just spent a ridiculous amount of money to spend three months in Britain, I simply cannot justify spending the extra cash right now.

When I turn on T9 mode things get even stranger and it keeps popping in words as soon as I punch in a letter. For example, if I press the #4 key to type in the letter H, the first letter that comes up is I and, if I hit that key again, it comes up with the word Hi.
    Hm... I thought you were having trouble with the T9, but you must have some new feature that I'm not familiar with. BTW T9 is pretty useful. Instead of typing the whole word with multitap (press 2 for A, 2-2 for B, 2-2-2 for C), you can just type once and the phone will figure out which word you are typing. For shorter words it will give you a list to choose from, which is annoying, but for longer words it works pretty great.

I'm seriously thinking of buying a Blackberry or one of the phones with the little slide-out keyboard but, as a grad student who has just spent a ridiculous amount of money to spend three months in Britain, I simply cannot justify spending the extra cash right now.
    It's a Motorola Razr on AT&T. I've been toying with getting a new iPhone, which would eliminate my issue.

It's a Motorola Razr on AT&T. I've been toying with getting a new iPhone, which would eliminate my issue.
    Motorola makes some of the worst phones in the American market. The razr is no exception, time to trade up! Though I must admit that my typing experience on the iPhone has been less than satisfactory. Years of having QWERTY phones really spoiled me. (cue billybreen in 3...2...1... )

Motorola makes some of the worst phones in the American market. The razr is no exception, time to trade up! Though I must admit that my typing experience on the iPhone has been less than satisfactory. Years of having QWERTY phones really spoiled me. (cue billybreen in 3...2...1... )
    Yeah here's my conundrum. We got my wife a 1gen iPhone last December. At the time we had to switch to AT&T. I - being an idiot - switched with her and got the cheapo regular Razr for my plan. And of course I got the discount on it. What an idiot!!!!! Now I don't qualify for the discount on the new iPhone. And I really don't want to pay full price for it - just on principle.

(cue billybreen in 3...2...1... )
    I'm shocked he hasn't jumped into this thread yet. But I read today that Apple has been having problems with the new iPhone so maybe he's keeping a low profile for the time being.

You rang? Typing on the iPhone takes a bit of getting used to, but after a few minutes to an hour it's pretty easy. The key is not to look at what you are typing and trust the software.

Would I prefer to have a physical keyboard? Sure, but I think what you get in screen size is worth the trade-off. I have a secret hope that someone will use the iPhone SDK to build a Bluetooth interface for some sort of innovative (perhaps single-hand) external keyboard. Would take some training to get proficient on it, but I would be willing to make the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    You rang? Typing on the iPhone takes a bit of getting used to, but after a few minutes to an hour it's pretty easy. The key is not to look at what you are typing and trust the software.

Would I prefer to have a physical keyboard? Sure, but I think what you get in screen size is worth the trade-off. I have a secret hope that someone will use the iPhone SDK to build a Bluetooth interface for some sort of innovative (perhaps single-hand) external keyboard. Would take some training to get proficient on it, but I would be willing to make the investment.
    I always thought it would have been a great addition if they made the iphone a side-slider (like this), but I guess then the aesthetics gets messed up and Steve just can't have that happen to his jesus phone

I always thought it would have been a great addition if they made the iphone a side-slider (like this), but I guess then the aesthetics gets messed up and Steve just can't have that happen to his jesus phone
    ICKY!

ICKY!
    ICKY! What a great description of the iPhone - especially its price!!!

ICKY! What a great description of the iPhone - especially its price!!!

You do realize it's $200 now, right? That's comparable with Blackberries and other similar (yet inferior) devices.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of HC and B2, HTC makes some kick-a devices.

My (AT&T) 8525 (very old now) running WM6 (cooked) rocks!

You do realize it's $200 now, right? That's comparable with Blackberries and other similar (yet inferior) devices.
    Saying an iPhone costs $200 is like saying a brand new car costs $2000 because that was your downpayment. Helloooo 2 years of indentured servitude to AT&T. Ok, I'm done bashing the iPhone for today Got it out of the system.

Perhaps, but because of Canada's ridiculous telecommunication laws and severe lack of competition in the marketplace, I only get that price if I buy a three year plan to go along with it - and the price for the plan is ridiculous.

Perhaps, but because of Canada's ridiculous telecommunication laws and severe lack of competition in the marketplace, I only get that price if I buy a three year plan to go along with it - and the price for the plan is ridiculous.
    Oh, my bad. I forgot you were Canadian because you never mention it. The Rogers plan is _absurd_.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of HC and B2, HTC makes some kick-a devices.

My (AT&T) 8525 (very old now) running WM6 (cooked) rocks!
    They look cool but, unfortunately for me, they are not available in Canada.