Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trash Talkin in Sports

Get a load of what John Coates (President of Australian Olympic Committee) said after Britain won a gold medal in the 400m freestyle: "It's not bad for a country that has no swimming pools and very little soap."

I'll admit that I'm torn between two stances on this topic. I have dished out my fair share of trash talkin while playing sports, mostly in football and basketball. I think it has a time and place, but certainly there are limits to what one should say.

In any case, I think it should be left up to the players on the field, court, pool and that managers, coaches, athletic directors etc. should practice a little restraint. It's one thing to get inside another player's head during the game, but afterwards, with what appears to be very little provocation... that's just wrong.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Trash talking should be reserved for winners, or pre-game. It sounds pathetic coming from the loser.

All true but the soap line was pretty funny...

"The Americans? We're going to smash them" - Alain Bernard before the 400m freestyle relay...we all know what happened after that

"We want the ball and we're gonna score" - Matt Hasselbeck before overtime of a playoff game against Green Bay. He threw a touchdown alright...Pick 6 to Green Bay, ballgame.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    "The Americans? We're going to smash them" - Alain Bernard before the 400m freestyle relay...we all know what happened after that

"We want the ball and we're gonna score" - Matt Hasselbeck before overtime of a playoff game against Green Bay. He threw a touchdown alright...Pick 6 to Green Bay, ballgame.
    Great examples of the pre-game trash talking that I think is just down right foolish. I think it's more fun, and perhaps appropriate, to save the trash talkin for the game. Look for, and react to players and situations where you can exploit your opponents' lack of mental fortitude.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Trash talking should be reserved for winners, or pre-game. It sounds pathetic coming from the loser.
    Bingo.

-EJ

When done properly though it can be such a beautiful artform.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    For example:

"The Mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays" - Scottie Pippen to Karl "The Mailman" Malone during a crucial set of free throws that would have given the Jazz the lead in the '97 (?) Finals (the game was indeed on a Sunday). Malone missed the free throws.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

And when done improperly you come across as an arrogant buffoon.
    There is a special satisfaction reserved for getting into someone's brain, then taking them to school shortly after. There was a corner on my high school football team that would bust out a rhyme pre-snap, then continue while the ball was in play. It was sick how he could sing, run, break up passes, and cream receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    And when done improperly you come across as an arrogant buffoon.
    There is a special satisfaction reserved for getting into someone's brain, then taking them to school shortly after. There was a corner on my high school football team that would bust out a rhyme pre-snap, then continue while the ball was in play. It was sick how he could sing, run, break up passes, and cream receivers.
    You went to high school with Deion Sanders? LOL!!!

A hilarious moment in trash talking history... Greg Newton calling Tim Duncan soft and Duncan responding that Newton was "everyone's All-American." Gotta give Timmy credit on that one.

You went to high school with Deion Sanders? LOL!!!
    Now that was a quality post!

I don't trash talk. It distracts me. I let my playing speak for me and put most of my focus into that. (No mentioning of my losing last night!!!)

I will, however, at times play some friendly head games that are fun on the surface, but quite sinister, devious and well-thought-out underneath...and most of all, affective.

One example:

Tennis - If a person is continually getting his serve in, I'll joke with him and tell him: "Um, you DO know that every you get a serve in a puppy dog dies, right?"

The response is usually a laugh, and quite often, a double fault.

I guess it's a way to trash talk without pissing off the other person. But it works. There are other examples. Perhaps I should right a book.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I don't trash talk. It distracts me. I let my playing speak for me and put most of my focus into that. (No mentioning of my losing last night!!!)

I will, however, at times play some friendly head games that are fun on the surface, but quite sinister, devious and well-thought-out underneath...and most of all, affective.

One example:

Tennis - If a person is continually getting his serve in, I'll joke with him and tell him: "Um, you DO know that every you get a serve in a puppy dog dies, right?"

The response is usually a laugh, and quite often, a double fault.

I guess it's a way to trash talk without pissing off the other person. But it works. There are other examples. Perhaps I should right a book.

-EarlJam
    EJ,

Lord knows I love you, buddy, but if you're going to write a book, you better learn how to spell first.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    EJ,

Lord knows I love you, buddy, but if you're going to write a book, you better learn how to spell first.
    Good Lord. Embarrassing!

I actually do a lot of writing for a living but admit to being a sub-par speller. I have at least two people edit my writings, um, er, rightings.

I also tend to not pay as much attention on e-mails and posts. But still, this was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

-ElramaJ

What about Chad Johnson saying on PTI the other day that he thought he could take Phelps in a swimming race, and that the problem was that Phelps didn't face tough competition in the Olympics? Does that qualify as trash talking?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    What about Chad Johnson saying on PTI the other day that he thought he could take Phelps in a swimming race, and that the problem was that Phelps didn't face tough competition in the Olympics? Does that qualify as trash talking?
    That qualifies as a mix of insanity coupled by an inflated ego; par for the course for Mr. Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    That qualifies as a mix of insanity coupled by an inflated ego; par for the course for Mr. Johnson.
    Are we sure he wasn't kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Are we sure he wasn't kidding?
    Hard to tell with ocho cinco. If he was, I'll happily apologize to him. On second thought, he still comes across an insane egoist.

My position. The only thing more trenchantly lame and childish than trash talk--which is massively lame and childish--is getting indignant over the other guy's trash talk.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine