Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

    Check out breakfast.
    When Phelps retires from swimming he can enter the Coney Island Hot Dog Eating Contest and REALLY make a name for himself.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Or maybe more than 10,000 calories a day!

    http://www.nypost.com/seven/08132008...rge_124248.htm

    Check out breakfast.
    Any chance this is all a ruse? Sounds impossible – like he’s trying to play head games with the competition. I heard he also smokes three packs of cigarettes a day and downs a fifth of vodka.

    FWIW, I believe it. But damn. Just dayyyyyyyyyyyyymn!


    -EarlDayyyyyyyyyyyyymn

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    When Phelps retires from swimming he can enter the Coney Island Hot Dog Eating Contest and REALLY make a name for himself.
    Indeed. Seriously, good point!

    Dude's putting up Elvis-type numbers with the calories.

    Years from now, we'll be comparing his to the legendary colon of John Wayne.

    -EJ

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Unhappy What of Phelps' endorsement future?

    I sure hope it doesn't happen, but I have a nagging feeling that Phelps will be a judge in the next Miss Universe competition. In the 70's, he'd also be a cameo in an episode of Love Boat.

    I hope he gets gobs of endorsements, but I suspect his star power won't be longlasting.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I heard he also smokes three packs of cigarettes a day and downs a fifth of vodka.
    Well, you may be right about the vodka.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wake Forest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I sure hope it doesn't happen, but I have a nagging feeling that Phelps will be a judge in the next Miss Universe competition. In the 70's, he'd also be a cameo in an episode of Love Boat.

    I hope he gets gobs of endorsements, but I suspect his star power won't be longlasting.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    It's my understanding he's doing about $5M a year right now. That will only go up, especially if he get's eight. Although I doubt to "Jordan-esque" standards.

    But, how much to you need?
    “Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."- Mark Twain

  7. #27
    Well, apparently Cincinnati Bengal wide receiver Chad Johnson thinks he's overrated. He said on PTI the other day that he could beat Phelps in a swimming race. Sure, so could I. If it was the 100m freestyle and I had about a 75 meter head start. And I'd still be trying to "out-touch" him at the wall.
    Last edited by bjornolf; 08-14-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: accuracy...
    LET'S GO DUKE!

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Well, apparently Cincinnati Bengal wide receiver Chad Johnson thinks he's overrated. He said on PTI the other day that he could beat Phelps in a swimming race. Sure, so could I. If it was the 100m freestyle and I had about a 75 meter head start. And I'd still be trying to "out-touch" him at the wall.
    Chad Johnson could not beat me in any swimming race and I haven't swam competitively for a while. And I could kick his a** in golf. From a Steelers prospective.
    ~rthomas


  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Galveston, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I heard he's also Patrick Davidson's cousin.
    Ah, yes. That explains everything.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Chad Johnson could not beat me in any swimming race and I haven't swam competitively for a while. And I could kick his a** in golf. From a Steelers prospective.
    Chad Johnson could not beat me in any swimming race and I CAN'T SWIM!
    2003-2004 HLM

    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  11. #31
    I about fell out of my chair reading a Chicago Tribune article this morning about how Michael Phelps isn't even in the top 5 Olympians of all time and that swimming is pathetically easy next to track and field. The rationale? That swimmers can compete in more than one race in a day, but running takes so much more out of you.

    I gotta think this guy hasn't ever gotten in a pool without an inner tube in his life.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wake Forest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I about fell out of my chair reading a Chicago Tribune article this morning about how Michael Phelps isn't even in the top 5 Olympians of all time and that swimming is pathetically easy next to track and field. The rationale? That swimmers can compete in more than one race in a day, but running takes so much more out of you.

    I gotta think this guy hasn't ever gotten in a pool without an inner tube in his life.
    That's the beauty of our modern day "Commentators/Columinists/Bloggers, you don't actually have to have done the "thing" on which you comment and/or write about, you just have to have an opinion, no matter how asinine.

    Back in the mid-80s, during the heady days of New Wave, I used to wear a button that said: "Nothing clever to say, just somewhere to say it."

    How apropos of "news" outlets today...
    “Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."- Mark Twain

  13. #33
    See his finish at the end of the 100 Fly...overexposed, maybe? Overrated? Defintely not.

    Where'd all the Kleenex go?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I about fell out of my chair reading a Chicago Tribune article this morning about how Michael Phelps isn't even in the top 5 Olympians of all time and that swimming is pathetically easy next to track and field. The rationale? That swimmers can compete in more than one race in a day, but running takes so much more out of you.

    I gotta think this guy hasn't ever gotten in a pool without an inner tube in his life.
    What a crock! I played football, was on the swim team, and ran track in high school. I found football to be the most demanding of the sports, both physically and mentally, swimming came in a very close second for the physical demands and I found track to be the second most mentally challenging sport. No way in the world I could put in the hours in a pool, that I put in on a track.

  15. #35
    JLo thinks so:

    Lopez, who appeared on "Good Morning America" Aug. 18 to discuss her preparations for the Malibu Triathlon, was overheard saying after the segment that she “couldn’t understand why everyone is talking about that swimmer,” according to a GMA source. “She couldn’t come up with (eight-time gold-medal winner Michael) Phelps’ name, and then she yammered on about how she was the one training for a triathlon just six months after giving birth, and how that was the big story right now, not ‘the swimmer.’ ”

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    JLo thinks so:

    Lopez, who appeared on "Good Morning America" Aug. 18 to discuss her preparations for the Malibu Triathlon, was overheard saying after the segment that she “couldn’t understand why everyone is talking about that swimmer,” according to a GMA source. “She couldn’t come up with (eight-time gold-medal winner Michael) Phelps’ name, and then she yammered on about how she was the one training for a triathlon just six months after giving birth, and how that was the big story right now, not ‘the swimmer.’

    So apparently the world no longer revolves around Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan. We have a new center of the universe.

Similar Threads

  1. R.I.P. Michael Debakey
    By OZZIE4DUKE in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 06:39 PM
  2. Mark your calendars...Digger Phelps at Regulator
    By weezie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 04:43 PM
  3. Was The ACC Overrated ?
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 06:29 PM
  4. ACC overrated?
    By Bay Area Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 12:42 PM
  5. Was the ACC overrated this year?
    By patentgeek in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 09:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •