Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Except that Spain beat Greece by 15.
    It is all about match-ups. Spain undoubtedly has the most individual talent, but they play like the US does. They will play man-to-man (though theirs will sag a few feet) against us, and rely on making and exploiting matchup advantages on offense.

Greece will throw zones and junk defenses at us (which we have struggled with). They will also run the pick and roll to perfection (which we struggle defending). Finally, they have a bevy of spot up three point shooters to make open shots from distance (which we tend to give away pretty easily). Finally, they have beaten us before so the intimidation factor won't play as large a roll there.

The best way to describe it is-- Spain speaks the language of international basketball fluently (zones, back screens, etc...) because their players have played in these systems most of their life, but they speak the same language as the Americans in terms of execution (matchup exploitation, outside-in emphasis, etc..). They know both languages pretty well, but prefer to speak NBA on the court. Because they KNOW both, they are able to beat all the European teams (like Greece). Unfortunately, we don't know International Basketball that well. All we know is "Hello", "Goodbye", and "Where's the toilet?" Therefore, we can get really confused and turned around against Greece who is arguably the best at the "International style," while we should be able to handle the Spaniards. They are speaking our language, but we speak it much better.

That was a terrible analogy, but hopefully I conveyed my point somewhat.

The full game is available on the NBC site and the best part: no commentary! Lebron's volleyball block is right at the 40:00 mark in the video.

I don't have much to add in terms of critique of the US team's play. It's been obvious since the exhibitions that the team's clear advantage is in transition and scoring off of steals (K really has them working the passing lanes). It will be interesting to see how that works against teams that have more professionals playing at the guard/wing spots.

One other comment on D

One thing that really bothers me is when Kobe (or anyone) comes off his man outside to double the post. I've noticed our opponents ready for this as they quickly kick back out and around if necessary to find the wide open 3. If our guards would stay home and not cheat down, we'd avoid a lot of open 3's by opponents. Frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    One thing that really bothers me is when Kobe (or anyone) comes off his man outside to double the post. I've noticed our opponents ready for this as they quickly kick back out and around if necessary to find the wide open 3. If our guards would stay home and not cheat down, we'd avoid a lot of open 3's by opponents. Frustrating!
    This was something I noticed today, too. I think our guards are too quick to double team when the ball moves inside. Granted, we are going for strips and such, but it does lead to a number of open 3s where the shooter is "in rhythm" (one of the phrases being battered to death). I do think we should allow our bigs to defend one on one when the ball moves inside to see what happens. Considering that FIBA ball doesn't feature traditional post play, I am guessing that these big men lack traditional post moves (sweeping hook shots aside) and are usually looking for the kick out.

Beating the "in rhythm" concept some more...we don't get a lot of IR 3s. I haven't charted these games or anything like that, but I am guessing that the lack of IR 3s could be because when we throw the ball inside or beat the guards off the dribble, we usually go for that high percentage 2 rather then kick it out for a 3. I notice that the rest of the world will often pass up a potential 6 foot and in shot in favor of the kick-out. So, our foes would rather take an IR 3 then a mid range jumper or slashing lay-up where we are the opposite...maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    This was something I noticed today, too. I think our guards are too quick to double team when the ball moves inside. Granted, we are going for strips and such, but it does lead to a number of open 3s where the shooter is "in rhythm" (one of the phrases being battered to death). I do think we should allow our bigs to defend one on one when the ball moves inside to see what happens. Considering that FIBA ball doesn't feature traditional post play, I am guessing that these big men lack traditional post moves (sweeping hook shots aside) and are usually looking for the kick out.

Beating the "in rhythm" concept some more...we don't get a lot of IR 3s. I haven't charted these games or anything like that, but I am guessing that the lack of IR 3s could be because when we throw the ball inside or beat the guards off the dribble, we usually go for that high percentage 2 rather then kick it out for a 3. I notice that the rest of the world will often pass up a potential 6 foot and in shot in favor of the kick-out. So, our foes would rather take an IR 3 then a mid range jumper or slashing lay-up where we are the opposite...maybe?
    I definitely agree with this sentiment for games against Angola and China, but just wait until Germany marches out their full roster of 7 footers. haha.

Kaman

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I definitely agree with this sentiment for games against Angola and China, but just wait until Germany marches out their full roster of 7 footers. haha.
    I cannot wait to see what kind of greeting Team USA has for Kaman.

Doug Collins

I didnt watch the USA game until last night on DVR when I got home from work so I'm just now reading all the posts in the thread and I am really kinda surprised to see no mention of Doug Collins CONSTANTLY talking about the '72 olympics and the soviets.

I think doug collins is a great man and a great announcer, but is no else annoyed that he won't stop talking about the one time he got to play in the olympics??

Wait... Doug Collins played on the '72 Olympics and played the Soviet Union? I hadn't heard any mention of this.

Next you're going to try and tell me that the US lost that game or that there was some sort of controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I didnt watch the USA game until last night on DVR when I got home from work so I'm just now reading all the posts in the thread and I am really kinda surprised to see no mention of Doug Collins CONSTANTLY talking about the '72 olympics and the soviets.

I think doug collins is a great man and a great announcer, but is no else annoyed that he won't stop talking about the one time he got to play in the olympics??
    Hopefully he'll get untracked during the Greece game.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    It is all about match-ups. Spain undoubtedly has the most individual talent, but they play like the US does. They will play man-to-man (though theirs will sag a few feet) against us, and rely on making and exploiting matchup advantages on offense.

Greece will throw zones and junk defenses at us (which we have struggled with). They will also run the pick and roll to perfection (which we struggle defending). Finally, they have a bevy of spot up three point shooters to make open shots from distance (which we tend to give away pretty easily). Finally, they have beaten us before so the intimidation factor won't play as large a roll there.

The best way to describe it is-- Spain speaks the language of international basketball fluently (zones, back screens, etc...) because their players have played in these systems most of their life, but they speak the same language as the Americans in terms of execution (matchup exploitation, outside-in emphasis, etc..). They know both languages pretty well, but prefer to speak NBA on the court. Because they KNOW both, they are able to beat all the European teams (like Greece). Unfortunately, we don't know International Basketball that well. All we know is "Hello", "Goodbye", and "Where's the toilet?" Therefore, we can get really confused and turned around against Greece who is arguably the best at the "International style," while we should be able to handle the Spaniards. They are speaking our language, but we speak it much better.

That was a terrible analogy, but hopefully I conveyed my point somewhat.
    I actually thought this was quite a good analogy. I also agree with your assessment of the two teams. Something else that has come to mind is that the leading Spaniards (Gasol, Delfino, et al) are rather familiar to Team USA, because they play in the NBA. Greece doesn't have any NBA regulars, and that lack of familiarity seems to pretty clearly affect our boys at times.