Thread: C'mon DBR..

C'mon DBR..

So...I pull up the Interweb first thing this morning and since the DBR is my homepage, I noticed right away the blurb titled "Next up Angola". I read said blurb and it begins by saying "The U.S. takes on Angola tonight at 8 EST". I knew I had to work late, but I thought, hey...this is great, I can still see the game tonight at 8. Obviously, that was incorrect as the game was apparently shown here (a replay, I guess) at 8 AM.

I mean, I know this site is free and a lot of hard work goes into it and I really do appreciate that, but guys...if you're gonna list the game times, please try to be more accurate. Am I the only one who plopped his butt down on the sofa at 8 all ready to see some Olympics hoops? I read the US vs. Angola thread and in addition to the fascinating semantics sub-lesson therein, I was able to discern that the game had already taken place, that the US won and that a lot of other people apparently got the memo that I did not regarding the actual start time of the game. I really don't mean to sound like a whiner here, but I generally put a lot of faith in DBR when it comes to these things. Giuess I'd better double-check next time...

There is a complete schedule of event times here:

http://en.beijing2008.cn/

for just men's basketball go here:

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/...etball_men.asp

and know that Beijing is 12 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time. The 8 am EDT showing was live.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I mean, I know this site is free and a lot of hard work goes into it and I really do appreciate that, but ... I really don't mean to sound like a whiner here, but I generally put a lot of faith in DBR when it comes to these things. Giuess I'd better double-check next time...
    Then quit whining and drop a financial contribution to DBR. If you really cared about the US Team, you would have noticed in any of the DOZEN stories linked by DBR that the game was this morning. The error is certainly understandable as China is 12 hours ahead of us, so 8 in the morning here is 8 in the evening there.

BTW, DBR also showed me how to download ieSpell, a spellchecker that works well with these boards.

So...I pull up the Interweb first thing this morning and since the DBR is my homepage, I noticed right away the blurb titled "Next up Angola". I read said blurb and it begins by saying "The U.S. takes on Angola tonight at 8 EST". I knew I had to work late, but I thought, hey...this is great, I can still see the game tonight at 8. Obviously, that was incorrect as the game was apparently shown here (a replay, I guess) at 8 AM.

I mean, I know this site is free and a lot of hard work goes into it and I really do appreciate that, but guys...if you're gonna list the game times, please try to be more accurate. Am I the only one who plopped his butt down on the sofa at 8 all ready to see some Olympics hoops? I read the US vs. Angola thread and in addition to the fascinating semantics sub-lesson therein, I was able to discern that the game had already taken place, that the US won and that a lot of other people apparently got the memo that I did not regarding the actual start time of the game. I really don't mean to sound like a whiner here, but I generally put a lot of faith in DBR when it comes to these things. Giuess I'd better double-check next time...
    I guess CBSsportsline was down, ESPN.com went bankrupt, and your homepage is set to your FREE DBR where you get your email as well. LOL!

Seriously, who blames a website for missing a game? It's like blaming your alarm for you being late to work.

If I REALLY want to watch a game, I usually check with the actual TV station.

Thanks Bob for the HELPFUL feedback...

The rest of you can kiss the part of my body that plopped down on the sofa at 8pm to watch the game. I guess I struck a nerve with someone. And, for the record, I have contributed to DBR financially in the past, although I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I also don't get your reference to the spell-checker either - I re-read my original post and don't see any spelling errors. Whatever...get over yourselves. If you don't like what I wrote, ignore it, but calling me a whiner is a bit harsh, I think. Forgive me for relying on my favorite site of all time the DUKE basketball report, to give me information related to...ya know...our coach who happens to be at the Olympics. Geez!

Oops! I see now that I did put an extra letter in the word "guess" in my previous post. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?
    Last edited by ChrisP; 08-12-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Clarification

Whatever...get over yourselves.
    Seconded. I'm a little tired of reading comments like some of these responses and those that label something as "the bad post of the month."

However, ChrisP, I'm not validating your original rant. It was a small error on DBR's part; that happens sometimes in published media.

The rest of you can kiss the part of my body that plopped down on the sofa at 8pm to watch the game. ... I see now that I did put an extra letter in the word "guess" in my previous post. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?
    I, for one, can forgive. Realizing how often I screw up - I try not to be so critical. I also try to apologize when I have been a schmuck.

Please forgive if I won't kiss your behind; I find the suggestion offensive. Sad to think that a Duke fan is so poorly spoken. Further response is likely to draw sanction from moderators.

For the record, I wasn't really angry...

It was more like "awwww...man, I missed the game". If I have offended anyone with my comments here, I sincerely apologize.

I forget that some people on this board are so sensitive. I swear, sarcasm and a little smarta** simply do NOT go over well here. Frankly, I find the snarky comments directed my way just...silly. I would imagine that when the haters complain of snobbish Duke fans, you guys are the ones they moan about. I didn't intend to get into a tiff over this with anyone - was honestly just venting some frustration and wanted to see if I was the only one who got messed up by the typo on the front page that implied the game was on at 8pm. Hey, we're all human - we make mistakes...all is forgiven! Peace

It was more like "awwww...man, I missed the game". If I have offended anyone with my comments here, I sincerely apologize.

I forget that some people on this board are so sensitive. I swear, sarcasm and a little smarta** simply do NOT go over well here. Frankly, I find the snarky comments directed my way just...silly. I would imagine that when the haters complain of snobbish Duke fans, you guys are the ones they moan about. I didn't intend to get into a tiff over this with anyone - was honestly just venting some frustration and wanted to see if I was the only one who got messed up by the typo on the front page that implied the game was on at 8pm. Hey, we're all human - we make mistakes...all is forgiven! Peace
    So, what you're saying is that it's okay for you to get indignant and chastise the DBR (sarcastically, of course) for an unintended mistake, but anyone here who makes light of the irony by pointing out your unintended mistake is being "sensitive" and "silly" and "snobbish" and should "get over themselves"?