Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Olympic Basketball- Angola Thread

Rather than using the pre-olympic thread to discuss all the games, I figure it would be better to have different threads for each game... so, I am starting the thread for the Angola game here.

They look like a really small team, so I guess we will see an awful lot of zone. Angola continually qualifies by winning the FIBA Africa games every four years, but they continually get last or second-to-last in the olympics. In other words, this should be a blowout. There are really only two players of note on the team, Cipriano (the all around athlete) and Mingas (the sharpshooter).

--Look for Deron Williams and whoever is playing down low to have big games. Williams has shown a great ability to break zones and get to the basket, while our big men should have a significant size advantage n the boards.

Note-- Nobody on Angola plays professionally outside of Africa

Previous Result- Germany 95- Angola 66

I'd like to see Carmelo Anthony get untracked. Seems like his shot is not falling; he has very positive international experience but has not been playing at the level of LeBron, Kobe, and Dwayne Wade. Seems to me I saw or heard a dig at his conditioning?

Agree with the take on Deron Williams. He and Chris Paul are both playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Previous Result- Germany 95- Angola 66
    Interesting result... for whatever it's worth, Angola did beat China earlier in July...

Thanks for the info on Angola, BlueInTheFace. I hadn't heard any digs at 'Melo's conditioning, but I would be suprised if he doesn't have a very good showing for us tomorrow morning.

I'd like for us to get up a nice lead in the first quarter.

Based on the fact that our dunks were getting huge cheers when we were playing China, I have to think that we will be sort of the home team alternate from here on out.

Hi,

What's game time (EST)?

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Hi,

What's game time (EST)?

Best regards,
    Jeffrey
    Tuesday, Aug 12

US v Angola

2:30 a.m. Live (NBC)

8:00 a.m. Replay (USA)

Another question - who will deliver the traditional cheap shot? Chris Paul, your country needs you.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I'd like to see Carmelo Anthony get untracked. Seems like his shot is not falling; he has very positive international experience but has not been playing at the level of LeBron, Kobe, and Dwayne Wade. Seems to me I saw or heard a dig at his conditioning?
    Pet peeve... <grammar nazi>untracked is semantically incorrect. You mean get back "on track".</grammar nazi>

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Another question - who will deliver the traditional cheap shot? Chris Paul, your country needs you.
    Dammit! I thought I would be the first to mention Chris Paul and chucking spears...

Agree with the take on Deron Williams. He and Chris Paul are both playing well.
    Well, I certainly hope Melo doesn't lose a track off of his tank or earthmover...

But I agree with you roy, I'd love to see Melo get back to where he was a few weeks ago. He looked pretty so-so in the game vs. China.

FYI, as an aside, here's an interesting historical analysis of the use of the word untracked in this context.

P.S. Dang you hc5, you beat me to the punch.
    Last edited by DukeUsul; 08-11-2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: added PS

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    But I agree with you roy, I'd love to see Melo get back to where he was a few weeks ago. He looked pretty so-so in the game vs. China.
    His recent lackluster play in the exhibitions leading up to the Olympics is the only reason I did not start him over Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    His recent lackluster play in the exhibitions leading up to the Olympics is the only reason I did not start him over Wade.
    In the "Who would you start" poll thread, I mean.

Seems to me I saw or heard a dig at his conditioning?
    \

One of the announcers in either the Australia or China game mentioned it. It was just a sentence or two, and the other announcer did not pick up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Pet peeve... <grammar nazi>untracked is semantically incorrect. You mean get back "on track".</grammar nazi>
    Pet peeve . . . "untracked" is a common phase, and the previous poster used it correctly. Please explain how it is "semantically incorrect". You might as well take issue when someone calls Nate James a bad I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. No one thinks he is actually a misbehaving donkey.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Pet peeve . . . "untracked" is a common phase, and the previous poster used it correctly. Please explain how it is "semantically incorrect". You might as well take issue when someone calls Nate James a bad I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. No one thinks he is actually a misbehaving donkey.
    "Bad I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this." is a common phrase. "To get untracked" is a common mistake/malapropism/egg-corn, where the correct version "to get (back) on track" has been changed, much like "irregardless." Sorry to hijack, I don't want this to turn into another discussion of "could/couldn't care less"

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    "Bad I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this." is a common phrase. "To get untracked" is a common mistake/malapropism/egg-corn, where the correct version "to get (back) on track" has been changed, much like "irregardless." Sorry to hijack, I don't want this to turn into another discussion of "could/couldn't care less"
    Unless you missed it, "untracked" is a common phrase as well. Yesterday's "malapropism" is today's colloquialism. Language evolves, and in this case, the usage has become more common in the three years since the date of the blog post you linked. Either way, I'd say the usage was semantically correct, since there is a commonly understood definition to the phrase, and the poster used the phase in accordance with that commonly understood definition.

Unless you missed it, "untracked" is a common phrase as well. Yesterday's "malapropism" is today's colloquialism. Language evolves, and in this case, the usage has become more common in the three years since the date of the blog post you linked. Either way, I'd say the usage was semantically correct, since there is a commonly understood definition to the phrase, and the poster used the phase in accordance with that commonly understood definition.
    you're semantically correct.

The phrase to me has always been "on track." "Untracked" means the exact opposite, and is just intuitively wrong.

On a related note, the beginning of football seasons means bball season is almost here and months of inane posting will finally beget...well...more months of inane posting. But at least it will involve our team playing basketball.

Smile

Whether or not "untracked" is properly used in this situation, I thought you meant to write "get back on track," which would be appropriate in meaning the return of Melo to a high level of play.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Whether or not "untracked" is properly used in this situation, I thought you meant to write "get back on track," which would be appropriate in meaning the return of Melo to a high level of play.

sagegrouse
    Thanks for the lesson in semantics, guys.

Did I mention I'd like to see Carmelo hit a few shots?

Unless you missed it, "untracked" is a common phrase as well. Yesterday's "malapropism" is today's colloquialism. Language evolves, and in this case, the usage has become more common in the three years since the date of the blog post you linked.
    Just because a lot of people are using the term doesn't make it correct. See: irregardless, than/then, alot/a lot, awhile/a while, etc..

Either way, I'd say the usage was semantically correct, since there is a commonly understood definition to the phrase, and the poster used the phase in accordance with that commonly understood definition.
    I said it's semantically incorrect because, as it stands, the sentence means the poster would want to see Carmelo Anthony become "untracked", whereas he presumably intended to say he wants to see Carmelo get back on track. The sentence is grammatically correct, syntactically correct, but didn't convey the intended meaning - therefore, semantically incorrect.

Again I apologize for the detour of the thread. I didn't mean to single out roywhite, and as cato pointed out, it's a common mistake.

Two thoughts. First, put me in the camp that doesn't really like the use of "untracked" today, yesterday or tomorrow (sorry for even adding to that part of this thread). Also, you count me as a guy that doesn't really feel the need to see CA get back on track. He is probably my least favorite person on the team and as deep as we are, I'd enjoy the games more if he was sitting and guys I enjoy watching were playing. Of course, the clunker in that is the implied...as long as we are winning. If getting CA going is the difference between winning and losing, by all means get that young stud back on track!

I had an odd thought watching yesterday's game. Aside from a little more size, the one thing I thought the team could really use is a spot up 3 point shooter. I said to my wife "I know this is going to sound crazy but this team could really use JJ Redick...or someone like him that can really drain the 3 all day". We have so many scorers, we could use a shooter (and yes, I realize that several of our scorers can really shoot as well). I worry that teams are going to pack the lane and make us shoot 3's. Then, like Duke, we'll have a night where we are off from behind the arc and get upset.