Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    I missed that one. I'd hate to think I could be accused of plagiarizing such a stupid pun.
    Now now, there are no stupid puns, just stupid people (shamelessly plagiarizing Mr. Garrison)

Smile Paging dukie8

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Cool. I separate technology and conditioning advances somewhat because I think we'll always see a linear progression of year over year improvements across sports from those. What I'm more curious about are the less predictable differences that the venue can have. If that isn't as big a factor as has been discussed, it's a moo point (like what a cow thinks, it doesn't matter).
    There was a time in track and field in which some venues were more prone to record-setting performances ... or at least they were viewed that way. Mexico City (altitude) was ideal for many track&field events. I want to say that Oslo's old Bislett Stadium was viewed that way at one point. Seb Coe broke the 800m, 1000m, and mile there. To me, it seemed that he and others targeted Bislett for such performances. IIRC, one oddity about Bislett was that its track had only six lanes, vs. the standard 8-lane tracks.

COOL: I just found a youtube of Seb Coe breaking the mile record at Bislett.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Swimming

Swimmer A: I broke the world record today.
    B: Wow~~ congratulations on the gold medal!
    A: Nah... I didn't even make it to the final.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Phelps is incredible...I love watching history. #10

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I've heard that depth of this pool is making a big difference. It is deeper than in the past, and therefore lest resistance. Or they all might be that much better on the big stage.

must have something to do with the new speedo as well. They were breaking records here and there just in the qualification games.

MEN'S RELAY DOMINATION!!! My wife said "They could stop for tea and still win"! WOW!

An absolutely dominating performance in the 4 X 200M Freestyle in breaking the World Record by 5 seconds.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    I am more amazed by the effect the new speedo suits supposedly have on the swimming records. I heard that it improves your time by like 2%, which sounds like a lot. This leads me to wonder, should this kind of technology be considered "performance enhancer"? Because, while the pool shouldn't affect the relative performance, not everyone wears the same suit. I heard that some Asian athletes don't wear the newest speedo, not because they can't afford them, but because the new suits just aren't made in that size. What?
    I don't think the solution is to ban the new technology permanently. I think back to when the clap skates became available to speed-skaters; at first, their benefit was questioned, primarily b/c the skaters who tried them in competitions still weren't as good as the top athletes. But, by one olympics (I want to say 1988, maybe it was 1992) they were prominent enough that they were banned for the olympics, so old school skaters weren't at a total disadvantage. By 1998, everyone was using clap skates, they were no longer banned, and world records were shattered.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I don't think the solution is to ban the new technology permanently. I think back to when the clap skates became available to speed-skaters; at first, their benefit was questioned, primarily b/c the skaters who tried them in competitions still weren't as good as the top athletes. But, by one olympics (I want to say 1988, maybe it was 1992) they were prominent enough that they were banned for the olympics, so old school skaters weren't at a total disadvantage. By 1998, everyone was using clap skates, they were no longer banned, and world records were shattered.
    the technology of the suits has gotten out of control and swimming needs to do something to reign it in. tennis regulates the rackets, baseball regulates the bats and gloves and golf regulates the clubs and balls. when equipment gives that much of an advantage, it become not who is the best athlete but who is geared up the most and i don't like that. i say go back to au naturale like it used to be and the suit isn't an issue anymore

Soni was sweet

That Soni race was unexpected greatness!

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    i say go back to au naturale like it used to be and the suit isn't an issue anymore
    That would unfairly penalize the male swimmers who have the biggest, um, anchors.

No other word for it than amazing...

For the second time in a week, swimming had me running around the room screaming like an idiot during a finish. I'm still not even sure how Phelps won -- that last touch was so, so close.

I wasn't screaming but I was running around...trying to talk to someone on the phone at the same time. Thus no screaming, more like yelling.

Phelps = wow. Wow oh wow oh wow.

I'm confused on how they determine who will swim the legs of the medley relay...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'm confused on how they determine who will swim the legs of the medley relay...

The use the best swimmer. Lets take the 100 fly. Phelps won the event at the Olympic trials. He's on the final list for the relay. If someone (Crocker) on the American team beats him they get to swim the finals. In Athens Crocker was supposed to swim the fly leg because he beat Phelps at the trials, but Phelps beat Crocker at the Olympics and could have swum the relay final, Phelps let Crocker keep the slot in the relay.

Also, it is my understanding that all the swimmers who swim a relay leg either in the final or one heats receives any medal the team wins.

Is Chinese water faster?

I was wondering why so many swimming World records are being broken these games. Are swimmers just better athletes now? Better training? The suits and shaving of all body hair make such a difference?

If it's the technology (suits) you'd assume we've reached the peak of records. If not, how "competitive" is swimming and have we going to see a lot more records smashed?

Which sports have reached their peak? Will we ever see a better "Michael Jordan". We the 100m ever be ran in 9.65 seconds? Just curious.