Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Question

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Is there any other sport where records are so subject to the environment of competition? Is every Olympic venue in the future going to build slightly deeper and wider pools so that new records can be set?

IMHO, it devalues the notion of a record somewhat since you can't make apples to apples comparisons between venues.
    Example:
    Baseball: I hypothesize that pitchers at pitcher-unfriendly parks would not hold many long-standing records. Cubs? Rockies?

Turning around your question:
    Can you name a sport in which records are NOT subject to the environment of competition?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Example:
    Baseball: I hypothesize that pitchers at pitcher-unfriendly parks would not hold many long-standing records. Cubs? Rockies?

Can you name a sport in which records are NOT subject to the environment of competition?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    shot put?

*edit* though I suppose you could argue that the quality of air (e.g. homeruns in Denver issue) might affect this event as well...

I would also argue that fighting sports such as boxing, judo, taekwondo, and wrestling are not subject to the environment of competition.

It's a question of degrees. While track and field events are subject to temperature, wind, humidity, etc, those factors vary day to day and are out of control of the event planners. This feels more like a systemic weakness of the measurement methodology that venue construction can have such an impact on the records.

Red face umm...

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    shot put?
    I think the authors of this article have been studying environment's effects on shot put:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12020998

EEK!

It's a question of degrees. While track and field events are subject to temperature, wind, humidity, etc, those factors vary day to day and are out of control of the event planners. This feels more like a systemic weakness of the measurement methodology that venue construction can have such an impact on the records.
    Again, for what it's worth, I think the "venue impact" is being dramatically overstated by reporters who have little invovlement with swimming. No doubt the water cube is a "fast pool", but there are many such facilities in the world (and, indeed, world records were being broken regularly leading up to the Olympics this year).

The suits are also a factor, as are rules changes, technique refinements and workout regimines, among other things.

I'll defer to dukie8 on this, but...

don't you think that the changes in track surfaces have had an effect on records? Those are certainly in the control of event planners.

I am more amazed by the effect the new speedo suits supposedly have on the swimming records. I heard that it improves your time by like 2%, which sounds like a lot. This leads me to wonder, should this kind of technology be considered "performance enhancer"? Because, while the pool shouldn't affect the relative performance, not everyone wears the same suit. I heard that some Asian athletes don't wear the newest speedo, not because they can't afford them, but because the new suits just aren't made in that size. What?

don't you think that the changes in track surfaces have had an effect on records? Those are certainly in the control of event planners.
    yeah this is why i didnt include it in my list. I would imagine quality of shoes would be another factor.

It's the shoes.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    It's the shoes.
    ah... shoes, too. well, never mind my argument earlier then. I guess if we want to eliminate all the factors that could enhance performance, then we may have to swim naked and run barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    I guess if we want to eliminate all the factors that could enhance performance, then we may have to swim naked and run barefoot.
    Isn't that what they did in the Olympics in ancient Greece?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    Again, for what it's worth, I think the "venue impact" is being dramatically overstated by reporters who have little invovlement with swimming. No doubt the water cube is a "fast pool", but there are many such facilities in the world (and, indeed, world records were being broken regularly leading up to the Olympics this year).

The suits are also a factor, as are rules changes, technique refinements and workout regimines, among other things.
    Cool. I separate technology and conditioning advances somewhat because I think we'll always see a linear progression of year over year improvements across sports from those. What I'm more curious about are the less predictable differences that the venue can have. If that isn't as big a factor as has been discussed, it's a moo point (like what a cow thinks, it doesn't matter).

No, they swam in ancient grease. It's a lubricant.

from the rut, my favorite Aussie web comic/blog

Talking Shot put?

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    I am more amazed by the effect the new speedo suits supposedly have on the swimming records. I heard that it improves your time by like 2%, which sounds like a lot. This leads me to wonder, should this kind of technology be considered "performance enhancer"? Because, while the pool shouldn't affect the relative performance, not everyone wears the same suit. I heard that some Asian athletes don't wear the newest speedo, not because they can't afford them, but because the new suits just aren't made in that size. What?
    I can't think of a sport that hasn't been affected by technological change that you'd consider a performance enhancer. Tennis rackets, shoes, clothing, etc...

hc5: Don't say SHOT PUT.

Hmm... wrestling? beach volleyball?

beach volleyball?
    Improved sunglasses frames?

I can't think of a sport that hasn't been affected by technological change that you'd consider a performance enhancer. Tennis rackets, shoes, clothing, etc...

I'll yield that today's shot put athletes (shotputter? shotputtist? shotputhlete?) go through a much better training regimen due to technology

Smile

No, they swam in ancient grease. It's a lubricant.
    Ugh! Didn't someone post something like this a while ago in some obscure thread when we were talking about eating Turkey and hunting Wales?

I think you have to consider conditioning enhancements to be technological changes, so volleyball and wrestling aren't immune. But again, I think there's a meaningful difference between steady performance gains from technology and less predictable changes to the environment. The former is in the hands of the athletes and their trainers.

Ugh! Didn't someone post something like this a while ago in some obscure thread when we were talking about eating Turkey and hunting Wales?
    I missed that one. I'd hate to think I could be accused of plagiarizing such a stupid pun.