Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Let me cut you off at the pass (G-Town/Vandy)

It was NOT a travel. Greg Gumbel and Seth Davis just wasted whatever credibility they gained with me last night with that drivel at the end of the game.

Classic up and under move. Clutch shot. Great win.

Interesting, because after watching it a few times I came away thinking it wasn't a travel, too. Looked like he really hadn't re-established enough after loosing the ball to say definitely that his right foot was his pivot foot. I thought it was a solid up-and-under move as well. It was so bang-bang I would have been much more upset had they called that a travel.

Gary

It was a travel

Look at the replay. After he lost his dribble, he moved all his feet several times, some type of dance move shuffle. He hit a tough shot, but traveled a few times over before the ball left his hands.

Say what?

Could you please explain. To my eye, it looked like the Georgetown player changed his pivot foot.
    Tom Mac

I did look at it. Several times.

He established his pivot foot. He stayed with that pivot foot, picked it up and did not put it back down before he relased the ball.

Completely legal. Read the rule book.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    It was NOT a travel. Greg Gumbel and Seth Davis just wasted whatever credibility they gained with me last night with that drivel at the end of the game.

Classic up and under move. Clutch shot. Great win.
    I'm not sure what you came where watching, but in a classic up-and-under move the player fakes and steps through maintaining the same pivot foot. Green turned to the right and up-faked using his right foot as his pivot then shot off of his left foot while his right foot came off the ground. Looked like a travel to me.

Obvious travel.

You guys are so wrong it's sad.

NCAA Rule 4-4-a:

Art. 4. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:
    a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court,
    before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;

Yeah, that was definitely a travel. You can't switch pivot feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph-Wiggum View Post
    Yeah, that was definitely a travel. You can't switch pivot feet.
    Again, NCAA Rule 4-4-a.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Again, NCAA Rule 4-4-a.
    Quoting the rule in this instance is irrelevant. Green switched his pivot foot and thus it touched the floor again. It was a travel.

NCAA Rule 4-4-a:

I don't know the rulebook front to back but doesn't this apply to a player lifting his pivot foot in the act of jumping off of it. The reason Green's pivot foot doesn't hit the ground before he releases the shot is because he switched his pivot foot to his left foot.
    Last edited by tbyers11; 03-23-2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: got my pivot feet mixed up like Jeff Green

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Quoting the rule in this instance is irrelevant. Green switched his pivot foot and thus it touched the floor again. It was a travel.
    He did NOT switch his pivot foot.

Rule 4-48-1

A pivot takes place when a player who is holding the ball steps once
    or more than once in any direction with the same foot, while the other foot,
    called the pivot foot, is kept at its point of contact with the playing court.

NCAA Rule 4-4-a:

all that rule says is that you can shoot a jump shot after picking up your dribble (otherwise you wouldn't be able to jump to shoot the ball after picking up your dribble). it DOESN'T say that you can move BOTH of your feet after picking up your dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    all that rule says is that you can shoot a jump shot after picking up your dribble (otherwise you wouldn't be able to jump to shoot the ball after picking up your dribble). it DOESN'T say that you can move BOTH of your feet after picking up your dribble.
    No, what that rule says is that you can pick up your pivot foot as long as you do not return it back to the floor before releasing the ball.

This isn't even close to a travel.

It seemed like an obvious walk. Hard to call, I guess, but not much doubt about it.

I am interested in this debate... I want a definitive answer. I personally thought it was a travel when I first saw it and after seeing the replays. Does someone with extensive (non-amateur) basketball playing/refereeing experience know for sure?

No, what that rule says is that you can pick up your pivot foot as long as you do not return it back to the floor before releasing the ball.

This isn't even close to a travel.
    i think that we are saying the same thing. once you establish your pivot foot, you can lift it but you have to get rid of the ball before you come down (either by shooting it, passing it or turning it over). i have to see the replay again, which i am sure cbs will playing nonstop at halftime of these games.

Yea, you guys are acting like you think a player can't lift their pivot foot before shooting. You can and he did (I guess I'll concede it was his pivot foot). The only thing that makes it look funny is that he put the left foot down just before lifting his pivot foot then jumped. Normally on those up and unders you end up lifting off both feet at the same time. He didn't so folks think he changed his pivot foot, but I don't think he did because he never brought the right foot down before shooting. Just looked a little unorthodox. But in the strict sense I don't believe it was a travel.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    i think that we are saying the same thing. once you establish your pivot foot, you can lift it but you have to get rid of the ball before you come down (either by shooting it, passing it or turning it over). i have to see the replay again, which i am sure cbs will playing nonstop at halftime of these games.
    He had his left foot established as the pivot. He put his right foot down (legal), lifted his pivot foot (legal) and jumped off his right foot (legal).

Easy call. No travel. I'm anxious for calltheobvious to come along and help me out because I don't know how to better explain it.