Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I asked the old staff that question two years ago and really didn't get an answer. Good move Coach Cut! Maybe it was too logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I asked the old staff that question two years ago and really didn't get an answer. Good move Coach Cut! Maybe it was too logical.
    When I was an undergrad the student section was in sections 23, 24, and 25, IIRC. There even was a platform at the height of the wall in front of section 25 for the head cheerleader to lead us in some pretty good and creative cheers. Freshmen were required to attend every home game wearing their freshman dinks or ribbons, as the case may be. They didn't need to make me go to the games, though. The season before I enrolled at Duke I was stationed at Camp Lejeune. I got in free if I was in uniform and sat in the student section. Ahem, Wallace wade was the head coach then.

Good move Coach Cut. The students belong on the home side.

I agree. Placing the students on the home side is something I wish had happened when I was there. I'm glad Coach Cut has taken care of it.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Be There

For what it's worth I too will be at the game along with my brother. He and I were born and bred to be Duke fans and believe it or not to focus on football over basketball. (If you weren't a Duke fan at my house growing up you didn't eat.) It seems few Duke fans today know of Duke's great history in football and even fewer are alive to remember it. I will be wearing blue as requested. But to be blunt if you live within seventy miles of Wallace Wade Stadium and your butt is not there you should be ashamed of yourself. I don't want to hear, "well I pull for Duke in basketball but in football I pull for St. Mary's School of the Blind". You're either a Duke fan or you aren't. Okay if you have a wedding or funeral, that's a legit excuse. But frankly if you've uttered the words, "Go Duke", you should be there. If you have produced offspring in the last fifteen years, you should bring your kids. I'd bring my ferrets but if the score isn't in Duke's favor at the start of the fourth quarter they might attack the opposing team. I mean seriously, I'm a starving artist and if I can afford to buy a ticket to a football game ANYONE can.

Seriously, this is the start of a new day for Duke football and by all indications it could be the start of something special. One day you may want to tell people you were at Coach Cut's first home game as Duke coach and not have to lie. I hope more and more fans show up over the course of the season. But if you only plan to attend one game and you are in the Durham area the opener should be most important as a message to Coach Cut and most of all the players.

I couldn't agree more, Latta. I will be at the game. I usually go with my son who is in real estate in Durham. This time, though, my wife is going to the game with us. She is a Mizzou alum, but she is a huge Duke basketball fan. I was surprised when she said she wanted to go to the game.

By the way, I have been noticing this new enthusiasm for Duke football, and I mentally tried to compare it with Ted Roof's first season opening. No comparison, I have concluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    For what it's worth I too will be at the game along with my brother. He and I were born and bred to be Duke fans and believe it or not to focus on football over basketball. (If you weren't a Duke fan at my house growing up you didn't eat.) It seems few Duke fans today know of Duke's great history in football and even fewer are alive to remember it. I will be wearing blue as requested. But to be blunt if you live within seventy miles of Wallace Wade Stadium and your butt is not there you should be ashamed of yourself. I don't want to hear, "well I pull for Duke in basketball but in football I pull for St. Mary's School of the Blind". You're either a Duke fan or you aren't. Okay if you have a wedding or funeral, that's a legit excuse. But frankly if you've uttered the words, "Go Duke", you should be there. If you have produced offspring in the last fifteen years, you should bring your kids. I'd bring my ferrets but if the score isn't in Duke's favor at the start of the fourth quarter they might attack the opposing team. I mean seriously, I'm a starving artist and if I can afford to buy a ticket to a football game ANYONE can.

Seriously, this is the start of a new day for Duke football and by all indications it could be the start of something special. One day you may want to tell people you were at Coach Cut's first home game as Duke coach and not have to lie. I hope more and more fans show up over the course of the season. But if you only plan to attend one game and you are in the Durham area the opener should be most important as a message to Coach Cut and most of all the players.
    Very well said, Latta! Very well said indeed. In fact, it sounds like something I'd say.

BTW, my parking pass came in today's mail. The tickets shouldn't be too far behind!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Distant Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    When I was an undergrad the student section was in sections 23, 24, and 25, IIRC. There even was a platform at the height of the wall in front of section 25 for the head cheerleader to lead us in some pretty good and creative cheers. Freshmen were required to attend every home game wearing their freshman dinks or ribbons, as the case may be. They didn't need to make me go to the games, though. The season before I enrolled at Duke I was stationed at Camp Lejeune. I got in free if I was in uniform and sat in the student section. Ahem, Wallace wade was the head coach then.

What I remember is wearing a coat and tie to games, even without a date. I can recall hitch-hiking to Chapel Hill for the UNC game my freshman year in the only suit I owned.

I also remember attending a Wake game at home my senior year, and feeling vaguely uncomfortable because I went in a sports shirt and slacks. (BTW, I left early because the game was too one-sided to be enjoyable. Guess which way?)

sagegrouse
    'N.B.: Hitch-hiking was an acceptable mode of inter-city travel among college students and others. This is another story'

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post

Remember the fences?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Remember the fences?
    I do! While in high school I would slip around through the space between the end post and the stadium wall and sit with the students. Couldn't wait to become a Duke student!

Yes, the students and band will be on the home side.
    About damn time!

I am so excited about going to the football games this fall. My parking pass came in the mail this week, and I'm looking forward to the tickets arriving any day. I'm going to be there with my mom, my son, my cousin's son and my mom's friend. We'll all be wearing Duke Blue! I think I'll go out and buy something new to wear.

GO DUKE!

Coach Cut is a normal college guy, dare I say "SEC" guy, who doesn't yet understand our attitude problem about wearing our own school colors. For his sake, I hope he's not terribly disappointed when people show up in no discernable scheme with a bunch of gray tshirts at the first game.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Coach Cut is a normal college guy, dare I say "SEC" guy, who doesn't yet understand our attitude problem about wearing our own school colors. For his sake, I hope he's not terribly disappointed when people show up in no discernable scheme with a bunch of gray tshirts at the first game.
    Frankly, I don't care what color everyone wears, as long as they arrive on time, cheer loudly (and intelligently) for the team, and don't leave early.

My husband has been at KU recently, and there's always a big message board backlash against people who wear red instead of blue, or god forbid, wear a coat that isn't a KU color during a November game. I think it's kind of idiotic, but since the athletic department hands out free blue t-shirts at every opportunity, it's not a hard mandate to follow. It was hard to find blue t-shirts when I was at Duke, even for those willing to pay for them.

Culture's changing

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I used to feel the same way about wearing our colors to games. Thought it wasn't the Duke way to wear the blue. In recent years my attitude has begun to change. I want to wear Duke blue when I go to Duke athletic events. I see more and more people doing the same... including football games before Coach Cutcliffe's arrival. I applaud his efforts to unite Duke employees for a common cause: supporting the football team.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I used to feel the same way about wearing our colors to games. Thought it wasn't the Duke way to wear the blue. In recent years my attitude has begun to change. I want to wear Duke blue when I go to Duke athletic events. I see more and more people doing the same... including football games before Coach Cutcliffe's arrival. I applaud his efforts to unite Duke employees for a common cause: supporting the football team.
    I've been wearing Duke Blue shirts to football and basketball games for years. And I'm proud to do so. I like the idea and fully support the lack of randomness.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I've been wearing Duke Blue shirts to football and basketball games for years. And I'm proud to do so. I like the idea and fully support the lack of randomness.
    I try to wear Duke Blue to games as much as possible, although I have some shooting shirts/jerseys that are black that I will wear sometimes. I do have a football jersey from a couple years ago that I will wear to every football game I attend until they put the new design in stores--then I will cop that one.

I'm trying my best to round up a bunch of Dukies here in the DC area to roll down for the season opener. Some of them want to go to the beach, but I say the beach will be there next week...this season opener could be the start of a new legacy of Duke Football!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Blue

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I try to wear Duke Blue to games as much as possible, although I have some shooting shirts/jerseys that are black that I will wear sometimes. I do have a football jersey from a couple years ago that I will wear to every football game I attend until they put the new design in stores--then I will cop that one.

I'm trying my best to round up a bunch of Dukies here in the DC area to roll down for the season opener. Some of them want to go to the beach, but I say the beach will be there next week...this season opener could be the start of a new legacy of Duke Football!
    My daughter gave me a Duke polo for Christmas last year-it is a very nice AWAY black color () but I will wear it 'cuz I love her. I will also wear the royal blue and white polos my wife has given me for Christmas or birthday gifts over the last couple years also. I love her, too.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My daughter gave me a Duke polo for Christmas last year-it is a very nice AWAY black color () but I will wear it 'cuz I love her. I will also wear the royal blue and white polos my wife has given me for Christmas or birthday gifts over the last couple years also. I love her, too.
    Come on, devildeac, we know the black one is for Wake...

blue

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Come on, devildeac, we know the black one is for Wake...
    Actually, black is for a wake.

Interestingly, after hearing some of the profanity reports directed at Duke fans attending the Duke-WFU game/s in Joel the last several years, my enthusiasm for the Deacs has waned. After all, they are my 2nd school/board name.

Under the previous football regime, when Ted Roof insisted upon playing non-TV games under the blistering September early afternoon sun, the Surgeon General recommended that fans wear whlte colored shirts, especially since the concession stands were known to run out of water at halftime.

Hopefully blue shirts will be comfortable from this year onward.