Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Beijing Opening Ceremonies

These are the best opening ceremonies I've seen. The only one in the ballpark since I've been watching (1984) was Barcelona.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    These are the best opening ceremonies I've seen. The only one in the ballpark since I've been watching (1984) was Barcelona.
    I've never seen a pageant to compare to this! It is an incredible mixing of technology and human performances. NBC is presenting it well, too.

I'm finding myself asking:
    How did they do that?

Really special. Wow.

Yea, these ceremonies are off the hook. I found myself getting crunk during the set with the 2008 drummers.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wow...been awesome so far..plus I get to add to my famous people list. I had no idea what Josh Ramo's been up to since I was a kid, but his parents and mine are good friends. My jaw dropped when I saw him on tv...lol.
    But it's dropped much farther for what the performances have been. Toooo cool, loved the type boxes. (I told my stepson "those are people I bet", he said I was wrong, I won a nickel. HA!)

I missed the names of the China experts. They're adding a lot. I'm kicking myself for missing the opening drums. Hopefully, NBC will run it again.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

The big painting

That thing has been fun to watch evolve. I love how they have the athletes walking across it and leaving their footprints on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    I missed the names of the China experts. They're adding a lot. I'm kicking myself for missing the opening drums. Hopefully, NBC will run it again.
    Suggest you check back here tomorrow -- 2,200 hours of online coverage.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/nbcencore/index.html

If you have Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate, there's also a great way to get Olympics coverage (up to 3,500 hours) downloaded via Windows Media Center.

Smile And the one guy we wanted to see walk in ...

... we caught a little glimpse of Coach K in front of the Redeem Team.

Nice to see Carlos walking in.

Man, I hope they do well.

A great story with the flagbearer of the US team.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Looks like I have the 11 PM slot...the other residents of the house aren't too happy about it though.

Wow

Incredibly amazing ending. I cried...lol. That was awesome.

Smile Well go figure!

Okay, so how did they come up with the torch lighting routine?

Totally "off the hook!"

Looking forward to the cycling, soccer, and swimming tomorrow.

Where's dukemomLA?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I was very dissapointed to see all the fireworks with so many people in the stands. Very, VERY dangerous.

And having a dude "walk on air" to light the ridiculously large flame? Again, wildly irresponsible.

And I just heard they spent more than $100,000 on the ceremonies.

I think the Chinese people should be well ashamed of theirselves.

A clear disgrace.

-EarlJam

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I still give the best torch lighting stunt ever to the dude who shot the arrow into the cauldron from what felt like across the stadium. Was that Barcelona? But these Opening Ceremonies were amazing. I only cried once, when they told the story of the little boy with Yao Ming saving his schoolmates. After all said and done though, I hope the US kicks China's posterior regions every chance they get.

Being on the West Coast, the parade of nations is just starting... no alphabet??? Man, this is going to mess me up. I realize there's a reason the countries are in the order they're in, but to my mind, uhhhhh... random is all I can think of. (Yeah yeah I know it's not but it has the appearance of randomness.) Now how can I go about doing 32 other things while watching? I have to pay attention! (And it's Friday night... and beverages have been consumed...)

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Being on the West Coast, the parade of nations is just starting... no alphabet??? Man, this is going to mess me up. I realize there's a reason the countries are in the order they're in, but to my mind, uhhhhh... random is all I can think of. (Yeah yeah I know it's not but it has the appearance of randomness.) Now how can I go about doing 32 other things while watching? I have to pay attention! (And it's Friday night... and beverages have been consumed...)
    Yeah, I decided to Tivo the rest of the parade of nations, so I can FF through most of it, and just get to the "I declare these games open" announcement.

But, man, just,... whoa. I love Opening Ceremonies, and this is the best I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I still give the best torch lighting stunt ever to the dude who shot the arrow into the cauldron from what felt like across the stadium. Was that Barcelona? But these Opening Ceremonies were amazing. I only cried once, when they told the story of the little boy with Yao Ming saving his schoolmates. After all said and done though, I hope the US kicks China's posterior regions every chance they get.
    That was Barcelona '92...and I agree it was by far the best torch lighting.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    It's in alphabetical order of the host country Notice how you have all the M- countries and B/P- countries walk in in succession, it's just not the order you expect. I didn't even know there was an order in Chinese characters, the only dictionaries I've seen are ordered either in English or # of strokes. Here's the full list from WikiAnswers.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    That was Barcelona '92...and I agree it was by far the best torch lighting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSA9xUUXj6E

i think that it is ridiculous that so many "countries" that aren't countries (eg, puerto rico) participate in the olympics. want not let the state of california in?

I say that the over/under for failed drug tests is 57

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    i think that it is ridiculous that so many "countries" that aren't countries (eg, puerto rico) participate in the olympics. want not let the state of california in?
    California? What about Scotland and Wales?

Already the first failed drug test ... a Greek sprinter. Only 4499 more tests to go!