10 20.41%
  • UNC Charlotte

1 2.04%
  • NC State

6 12.24%
  • Other... please say

4 8.16%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I got a master's degree from ECU, so that was my vote. That said, I was very happy academically there, but otherwise couldn't wait to get the heck out of Greenville.

Is UNC really going to take the gold here?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    Is UNC really going to take the gold here?
    In this situation, I am blameless me hearties

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    In this situation, I am blameless me hearties
    As am I. I'm sticking with my beach theme and chose UNC-Wilmington. No way in the world I would ever attend school in Chapel Hell.

I had a horrible dream where I was watching TV news and they said Appalachian State had been re-named UNC-Boone.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

UNC By-The-Sea!! The Turks have spent many a summer roosting on Holden Beach...

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    UNC By-The-Sea!! The Turks have spent many a summer roosting on Holden Beach...
    It came down to NCSU or UNC-Wilmington for me. UNC-Wilmington for the fun...there's nothing particularly bad about going to a college where, during the summer sessions, the girls are wearing bikinis under their shorts and t-shirts in class. But I took the slightly higher road and went with State. State has a good education and the personality of the students fits me well. I have some deep roots in blue-collar, mill-working Piedmont North Carolina, and, when I took some classes at State wayyyyyy back in 1995-1996, I realized that going to classes at State felt like going to classes with a bunch of my cousins.

FWIW, I also took some classes at UNC at the same time (I did some post bacc work for pre-med) and found two things: (1) UNC was easy...much easier than Duke, and, frankly, no harder than State; and (2) UNC students have no business ever calling Duke students elitist. Spending time on campus at UNC really solidified my distaste for that school.

I said NC State, as it offers a decent education. Yes, Chapel Hill may be better, but I would never go there.

My uncle did go to App St.

I'd have to say UNC (School of Medicine) as we have a daughter there now. She's a brave young lady and a Duke grad so she takes a modest amount of grief but she can serve it back pretty well. Nice tuition, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'd have to say UNC (School of Medicine) as we have a daughter there now. She's a brave young lady and a Duke grad so she takes a modest amount of grief but she can serve it back pretty well. Nice tuition, too.
    My answer for med school would be different than my answer for undergrad. If I had to choose a college other than Duke for getting my bachelor's, it would be State. However, UNC was my first choice for med school, as it's a great med school education AND the price was incredible for in-state tuition. As it turns out, I got accepted by UNC Med school but turned them down because my ex-wife and I both got into Jefferson Medical College in Philly and we obviously didn't want to live apart for four years of medical school.

That ended up being good and bad. By going to Jefferson, which was $25K per year more than Chapel Hill at the time, I accumulated a huge debt for the sake of what turned out to be a failed marriage. On the other hand, after that marriage failed I met my wife, who is a red blooded State girl, and who informed me that, as much as she loves me, if I had a degree from Chapel Hill, even med school, she would never have dated me. The girl has standards.

So in the end, giving up UNC Med school and accruing a big debt burden isn't a whole lot compared to finding the woman of your dreams...

DD - congrats to your daughter for her accomplishment getting into UNC Med school. It's a great school and I'm sure you're proud!

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    My answer for med school would be different than my answer for undergrad. If I had to choose a college other than Duke for getting my bachelor's, it would be State. However, UNC was my first choice for med school, as it's a great med school education AND the price was incredible for in-state tuition. As it turns out, I got accepted by UNC Med school but turned them down because my ex-wife and I both got into Jefferson Medical College in Philly and we obviously didn't want to live apart for four years of medical school.

That ended up being good and bad. By going to Jefferson, which was $25K per year more than Chapel Hill at the time, I accumulated a huge debt for the sake of what turned out to be a failed marriage. On the other hand, after that marriage failed I met my wife, who is a red blooded State girl, and who informed me that, as much as she loves me, if I had a degree from Chapel Hill, even med school, she would never have dated me. The girl has standards.

So in the end, giving up UNC Med school and accruing a big debt burden isn't a whole lot compared to finding the woman of your dreams...

DD - congrats to your daughter for her accomplishment getting into UNC Med school. It's a great school and I'm sure you're proud!
    Thanks! She was fortunate (lucky?) enough to get into WFU also and chose UNC for $$$$ reasons, plus, I think she did not really want to compete/be classmates with her brother (our son) who just finished his first year at WFU School of Medicine, formerly known as The Bowman Gray School of Medicine. The UNC SoM also had ranked consistently above WFU SoM in various categories over the last several years, including research and primary care programs. And, yes, it does pain me greatly to have to type that on a public forum. She'll have next to no debt upon graduation and he will have a large one. Plus, we can only have so many devildeacs in the family.

lives near a number of big white buildings

ommission

No onw nomintated/voted for UNC @Hades

Well, if I was forced to go to a NC school, I'd pick The Arthur Murray School of Dance in Raleigh so my husband could learn to fox-trot.

He's one awful dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Well, if I was forced to go to a NC school, I'd pick The Arthur Murray School of Dance in Raleigh so my husband could learn to fox-trot.

He's one awful dancer.
    Oooh, that's where we go but it is in no way affiliated with unc except having its zip and postal codes here. When you come down here some time in the future, I'll save the second foxtrot of the evening for you because my wife always gets the first one. They also have a new studio at Southpoint in Derm now which is much closer to Duke anyway and our former instructor is the co-owner of that studio. Our current instructor taught at the Arthur Murray Silver Spring studio for about 8 years. Is that anywhere near your house that you could drag hubby to for a few months (years?) of lessons?

This is really easy, and no one else has come up with the right answer: UNC @ Chapel Hill -- because it is closest to Cameron and Wallace Wade.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This is really easy, and no one else has come up with the right answer: UNC @ Chapel Hill -- because it is closest to Cameron and Wallace Wade.

sagegrouse

Hmm - wouldn't that point to NC Central?

-jk