E-Mail comparison

Since I've read so many positive things about Elliot Williams on these boards, I'm wondering if anyone who has seen him play can make a comparison to any past Duke players. I am not expecting that when someone says E-Mail's game is like that of Johnny Dawkins that they are saying he will be as good as JD. We have already hashed and re-hashed whether or not he will start or be great etc. I'm simply asking for a realistic comparison of his playing style versus that of known entities. For example, is he most like Daniel Ewing, Thomas Hill or Joe Cook ?

Inquiring minds want to know.

E-Mail?

I donīt hae a clue what Elliot is up to (as per the point of this post), but i just wanted to say that E-Mail is a terrible nickname. Does anyone even know if he likes e-mail? The kid is a basketball player not a web-site designer. What he does has absolutely nothing to do with electronics, the internet or e-mail. Can we please retire this nickname, it is lame. What is wrong with EWill? I mean his name actually includes an E and Will, much like JWill, was Jason Williams.

Actually it is what Elliot was called in HS. I think he actually embraces the name....an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQNv_7IiqXk

E-Mail delivers

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I donīt hae a clue what Elliot is up to (as per the point of this post), but i just wanted to say that E-Mail is a terrible nickname. Does anyone even know if he likes e-mail? The kid is a basketball player not a web-site designer. What he does has absolutely nothing to do with electronics, the internet or e-mail. Can we please retire this nickname, it is lame. What is wrong with EWill? I mean his name actually includes an E and Will, much like JWill, was Jason Williams.
    I would think it would be pretty apparent that it's "e-mail" as in his name is Elliot and he "delivers" - sort of like the Mailman and nothing to do with e-commerce other than a double-entendre of sorts. But perhaps you thought the Mailman was a lame nickname as well.

I didn't see him do much yesterday but my boys say he is very similar to Jason Williams in the fact that he will go to the hole and out of nowhere - bang on you!

I've heard he has a game like Michael Jordan, except he can jump higher and is more "clutch."

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    I've heard he has a game like Michael Jordan, except he can jump higher and is more "clutch."
    ha ha. wouldn't that be nice?

I actually really like the nickname. There are so few players who have real nicknames anymore (not variations of their name). All I can think of in recent years was Shelden.

Plus I always looked at it as a remark about his quickness, As in " When you email someone, the mail automatically shows up in there inbox. When Elliot gets sent, you automatically see him in your inbox (ie. basket, preferably dunking)" Am I corny for thinking that? I like what someone else pointed out too. He always delivers. HAHA

Thumbs up

Elliott is quick with the ball and an excellent defender. His shot (in my opinion) needs some work, on his free throws he falls off the line too much and the rotation is not what it should be. He is an amazing athlete and should play a lot of minutes this year. A defensive backcourt of Elliott & Nolan would be hard to beat. If i had to compare him to a former Duke player, it would be a quicker Thomas Hill but without Thomas's shot. In my opinion he's going to be an All American before he leaves Duke.

Talking Elliot Williams, are you reading this?

Dear Elliot,

As Duke fanatics and CamCrazies, we would like to know what you personally would like as a beloved nickname. If you like E-mail, let us know. If you like EWill, that's okay also.

And...if you want EarlJam to start a poll, or have us submit suggestions -- and then start a poll......let us know. Sincerely, DBR regulars

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Dear Elliot,

As Duke fanatics and CamCrazies, we would like to know what you personally would like as a beloved nickname. If you like E-mail, let us know. If you like EWill, that's okay also.

And...if you want EarlJam to start a poll, or have us submit suggestions -- and then start a poll......let us know. Sincerely, DBR regulars
    This idea would be great. It might turn out that he likes Elliot!

...but i just wanted to say that E-Mail is a terrible nickname. Does anyone even know if he likes e-mail? The kid is a basketball player not a web-site designer. What he does has absolutely nothing to do with electronics, the internet or e-mail. Can we please retire this nickname, it is lame. What is wrong with EWill? I mean his name actually includes an E and Will, much like JWill, was Jason Williams.
    Yours is evidently a very literal world.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    I've heard that too. Additionally, my sources tell me he's going to shoot 105% from the field, foul out Tyler Hansbrough in seventeen seperate games, and win the Heisman.

good lord....i need an I-nap...

Quote Originally Posted by verga View Post
    Elliott is quick with the ball and an excellent defender. His shot (in my opinion) needs some work, on his free throws he falls off the line too much and the rotation is not what it should be. He is an amazing athlete and should play a lot of minutes this year. A defensive backcourt of Elliott & Nolan would be hard to beat. If i had to compare him to a former Duke player, it would be a quicker Thomas Hill but without Thomas's shot. In my opinion he's going to be an All American before he leaves Duke.
    Pretty accurate assessment although I'm not quite with you on the Thomas Hill comparison. I think he has a better handle with the ball, drives better, and is more explosive around the rim than Thomas was. And, as you noted, Williams' shot isn't near Hill's yet.

compairson

Believe it or not I think the closest player we had to compare him to might be the one that just graduated. Demarcus Nelson just not as stong and maybe alittle quicker and better a better ball handler.

I don't like that comparison as much. Nelson was a tremendous rebounder for his size. EWill is unproven in that regard, especially against ACC competition. Also, while they both like to take it to the hoop, their style is very different. Markie would put his head down and drive into traffic like a bull; EWill is s-m-o-o-t-h. Markie had a very nontraditional shot; EWill's isn't perfect but at least looks like the standard form.

You're probably right about strength, but don't count EWill out yet. A lot of what we see on Markie's current physique was added during those well-known summer training sessions.

I see you point but the consistance with the shoot is about the same. I think that email williams will be better if he can avoid injuries. If his jump shot was better you could compare him to Daniel Ewing.

Thanks for the input

Hey everybody - thanks for the thoughts. I know it's just a summertime digression into conjecture, but it's good fun nonetheless. BTW - I liked the comment about fouling out Hansblow 17 times and winning the Heisman. Those two things alone could guarantee us that elusive double billing: national championships in both basketball and football (actually I think we have a better chance of Hansblow fouling out 17 times in 2-4 games with the Tar Heels than we do of winning a NC in football).

Quote Originally Posted by bleeddukeblue View Post
    If his jump shot was better you could compare him to Daniel Ewing.

Agreed