Thread: Jon Scheyer?

Jon Scheyer?

What did you guys think of him this year? I know i asked this in another forum bu ti thought i would make a thread. I remeber many times the annoucers saying he was the next JJ but i wasnt exspecting that but i thought he could atleast put up the numbers JJ did as a fresh. I mean he looked very impressive against Miami and UNC mid way through the season getting 25&26 points but besides that i wasnt impressed.

Just some comparisons to JJ and Jon's first years at DUKE.(per game averages
    J.J. Redick G 30.7min 41.3FG% 39.93pt% 91.9ft% 2.5reb 2.0ast 1.6TO 1.2stl 0.1blk 15.0ppg
    Jon Scheyer: 33.7min 39.8FG% 36.53pt% 84.6ft% 3.3reb 1.8ast 1.6TO 1.2stl 0.2blk 12.2ppg

So Redick beat him in FG% FT% 3PT% APG and PPG, while Jon beat him in just REB and BLK (by .1). You also have to consider that Scheyer did play more minutes on average than JJ. Also that JJ had to share with Dahntay Jones, Daniel Ewing, Duhon, Shelden, and Randolph. Just some food for thought. Please show your oppinons.

PS: If any of you can find the link of the site that can show me his 21 points in 90 seconds or whatever in highschool I would like it very much.
    Last edited by JJweMISSu; 03-23-2007 at 07:13 PM.

I really think Jon is going to be a terrific all-around player. I do worry that he is constantly compared to JJ, although I know it's a natural comparison. I don't see their games as being all that similar. I think Jon can be a superior ballhandler and defender, and he (nor anyone else) will be the scorer JJ was at Duke. If we have to make comparisons, well, I don't think I can find a good one for Jon. Jon can certainly hit the 3, but while that was JJ's specialty, Jon doesn't really have one yet in my opinion. Let's wait a couple of years-we may be comparing incoming people to Jon.

dukemsu

Thanks for the stats MiSSu. Note that JJ had better scorers around him, so the defense played him differently. Also note that Jon typically was given tougher defensive assignments, so that could have affected his scoring. JJ's first couple of years was the one-trick variety. Jon does a lot of things really, really well. All in all I can't say I'm dissapointed in the least with Jon's performance.

Dave

BTW MiSSU, unless I'm missing the joke, we won't be mad once Singler is here

Dave

Im saying good bye Josh we will miss you, but you will be forgotten once Singler is hear...

O never mind i see what your saying

Quote Originally Posted by JJweMISSu View Post
    Also that JJ had to share with Dahntay Jones, Daniel Ewing, Duhon, Shelden, and Randolph.[/U][/B]
    JJ had a MUCH better supporting cast to deflect attention away from him. I think Scheyer has great upside. He has good height (6'4-6'5) and that at this point he is a better dribbler, rebounder, and has a better mid-range game than JJ did as a freshman. JJ, however, was a better shooter and had that killer instinct as a freshman. Scheyer can still acquire the "ice in his veins" mentality. I'm excited about his potential.

scheyer needs to work on getting his shot off more quickly. he could be awesome by the time he leaves duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer7 View Post
    JJ had a MUCH better supporting cast to deflect attention away from him. I think Scheyer has great upside. He has good height (6'4-6'5) and that at this point he is a better dribbler, rebounder, and has a better mid-range game than JJ did as a freshman. JJ, however, was a better shooter and had that killer instinct as a freshman. Scheyer can still acquire the "ice in his veins" mentality. I'm excited about his potential.
    Scheyer showed the will to win, and the desire to step up, in many of the games this season. I think that more of those games came before he started to wear down, but the ability and desire are both there.

There are a couple key aspects which aren't addressed in the stats which the OP listed. The first, defense, is an area in which Scheyer is much stronger. It's also part of why his offensive numbers may be slightly less, as it takes a lot of energy to play defense, detracting from the energy available for offense. Secondly, Scheyer was a much better ball-handler this past season than Redick was as a freshman.

Let us not forget that Jon had to play min. at the point guard position this season. This is not his natural position. In doing this he was not able to focus on his true game. JJ didn't have to step in to a role like this and didn't have near as much pressure on him as he was surrounded with better talent. Jon is a very smart basketball player and I for one was very impressed with the way he handled what he was delt this year. I feel it was very unfortunate that early in his freshman career he was called on to do so much. I believe that what he had to go through will make him a better basketball player. He was a freshman that had to mature fast and made the transition better than any other in this years freshman class.

[QUOTE=Clipsfan;10188]The first, defense, is an area in which Scheyer is much stronger.QUOTE]
    Not to be bring up bad memories, but his defense against Mannor on that last shot wasn't to spectacular.

Nobody had great defense against Maynor, plus I thought he was a dirty player. But, back on topic, I think Scheyer will become a terrific Duke player.

Anyone know where i can find a video of Scheyer and his highschool miracle?

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Nobody had great defense against Maynor, plus I thought he was a dirty player. But, back on topic, I think Scheyer will become a terrific Duke player.
    Very True!

He played pretty good. he came in real handy as another ball handler and we for sure needed that! i was expecting him to be a deadeye shooter just like JJ was. I think he needs to shoot more. he looks like his first option is to pass. I think next year he needs to think more to score than pass

Anyone know where i can find a video of Scheyer and his highschool miracle?
    It was the damndest thing. He fed all these people in Chicago at a huge wedding. Then he walked over Lake Michigan. I saw it on Youtube before they took it down.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    It was the damndest thing. He fed all these people in Chicago at a huge wedding. Then he walked over Lake Michigan. I saw it on Youtube before they took it down.
    I can't remember... was that before or after he turned the Gatorade to wine?

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I can't remember... was that before or after he turned the Gatorade to wine?
    You're confused. That was MJ.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Just some comparisons to JJ and Jon's first years at DUKE.(per game averages
    J.J. Redick G 30.7min 41.3FG% 39.93pt% 91.9ft% 2.5reb 2.0ast 1.6TO 1.2stl 0.1blk 15.0ppg
    Jon Scheyer: 33.7min 39.8FG% 36.53pt% 84.6ft% 3.3reb 1.8ast 1.6TO 1.2stl 0.2blk 12.2ppg
    Scheyer had a better freshman season than did Redick. While Redick had better scoring numbers, it wasn't significant enough to account for the superior ball-handling, defense, and passing that Scheyer provided.