View Poll Results: How many games will the Jets win now that Farve has joined them

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-3, aka: worse than last year

1 3.23%
  • 4, same as last year

1 3.23%
  • 5-7, better than last season, but not much better

10 32.26%
  • 8-9, almost a playoff team

11 35.48%
  • 10-11, playoff team but not quite division champs

7 22.58%
  • 12+, division champs and strong Super Bowl contender

0 0%
  • Super Bowl champions!

1 3.23%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Ha, ha... (points like Nelson) you just got it wrong too, Mr. Jets fan!

Teach you to buy a jersey out of the back of a truck... is it even #4?
    Oops. I guess I need to spell his name right now!

As for my jersey - always was...and always will be... No. 12!

I have added a poll to this thread, so we can all speculate on how we will think the Jets + Brett will do.

--Jason

I put 10-11, but for the record, I think they were going to be a legitimate playoff contender anyway. That is actually my dream scenario - that the Jets do exactly as well as they would have anyway (one and done in the playoffs) and have to give up a second round pick and screw over a fan favorite (Pennington) to do it.

That being said, I'd take the Jets only having to surrender a 3rd or 4th round pick if it means Favre embarrasing himself during the season after an off season of childish antics.

I'm going to be a skeptic here... I think Frarvrer is toast. He will not deal well with the NY fans showing their vocal displeasure after he throws a few picks into double coverage. Shot QBs at the end of the road rarely do well.

I poked around on http://www.pro-football-reference.co...rs/qbindex.htm for a little bit. Try this list:

John Unitas - San Diego
    Joe Namath - LA Rams
    Ken Stabler - New Orleans
    Ron Jaworski - Miami
    Joe Montana - Kansas City
    Boomer Esiason - Arizona
    Warren Moon - Seattle

(wait, there was another pro football team in LA besides USC? Getoutahere!! Whodathunkit?)

I think only Montana's team was over .500, don't even think about the playoffs.

Some greats know when to hang them up and can do so gracefully (Marino and Elway come to mind); others need to be told when to go away. I'm guessing Frarvrer will be on the list too after this season, and Green Bay will do just fine without him.
    Last edited by Turk; 08-07-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    That said, the Jets ain't trading him and the pundits seem to think this makes the Jets one of the top 4 or 5 teams in the AFC.
    At first, I thought this was pure crazy talk, but then I thought a little more about it, and I suppose it might be possible. Are the Jets with Favre better than Jacksonville, Cleveland and Tennessee? I doubt it, but it will provide an interesting story line this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Some greats know when to hang them up and can do so gracefully (Marino and Elway come to mind).
    Marino most certainly does NOT come to mind. You're forgetting 62-7 to the Jaguars?

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Throaty said they were glad that this will calm the media storm...Farve to NEW YORK??? It's just begun, with a different subtitle.
    There's only one of me, and I was being sarcastic.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    There's only one of me, and I was being sarcastic.
    You contain multitudes.

Oh, god, please don't let's get another Whitman quotefest started. Nerds!

Turk, my memory could be faulty, but I'm pretty sure Montana's two years with KC were very successful, even if he was in decline. I think they even made a conference championship game. I specifically remember him outgunning Elway on MNF, too. Doesn't necessarily undermine your point, and I agree with you that Favre may be in for a tougher year than everyone's expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Marino most certainly does NOT come to mind. You're forgetting 62-7 to the Jaguars?
    HF3, I wasn't thinking about a specific last game. Rather, I was thinking of guys who played their whole career with one team and when it was time to go (or even when it was past time to go), they said, "I'm done, that's it, thankyouverymuch". None of this "I'm retired, nope, changed my mind, nope, changed my mind again" game that Frarvrer has been playing for the last 5 years. And none of this "Even my dog thinks I should retire, but dammit I'm gonna play somewhere until they pry the football out of my cold dead hands!" attitude either. That's what I meant to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Oh, god, please don't let's get another Whitman quotefest started. Nerds!

Turk, my memory could be faulty, but I'm pretty sure Montana's two years with KC were very successful, even if he was in decline. I think they even made a conference championship game. I specifically remember him outgunning Elway on MNF, too. Doesn't necessarily undermine your point, and I agree with you that Favre may be in for a tougher year than everyone's expecting.
    Mal, went back and looked it up - you're right, those KC teams were better than I remembered. 11-5 and lost to Buffalo in conf champ game, then 9-7 and made playoffs Montana's last year.

But it's barely August and I am so sick of Frarvrer. For a long time I enjoyed watching him play and was rooting for them to reach the Supe last year, but now all I want is for him to Please. Go. Away. If it gets any worse, I might even start praying for someone else's QB to go crash his motorcycle through a windshield so the TV bobbleheads can spend all their time talking about something else...

P.S. no worries, I am not a Whitman scholar, though I've been known to nibble one of their samplers once in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    You contain multitudes.
    The scent of these armpits aroma finer than prayer.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

For all the talk of how great Favre was last season, people seem to be forgetting that he's just three years removed from throwing 29 ints. He has lost arm strength and that hurts him when trying to make the types of throws that defined his career. The new offense in Green Bay--a variation of the west coast offense (which is almost a meaningless phrase in football anymore)--hid this problem last year because Favre could throw primarily short passes to set up the long ones.

The Jets run a much more traditional offense and I have a hunch we'll see bad Favre back again this season. Jets had a good off-season, but their biggest pickup (other than BF) was Faneca, an aging O-lineman (is there a better team at knowing when a player is on the way out than the Steelers?). This team overspent to make cosmetic changes that I don't expect to result in wins.

IMO, AFC teams that will finish with better records than the Jets (in no particular order):

New England, Indianapolis, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Jacksonville
    Last edited by rockymtn devil; 08-08-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Forgot about the Jags

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    IMO, AFC teams that will finish with better records than the Jets (in no particular order):

New England, Indianapolis, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Jacksonville
    Traitor! My beloved Broncos (yours too?) are on the comeback trail.

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    Not a Broncos fan. Born and raised a Steeler. Broncos need to improve the defense and find a consistent deep threat for Cutler. And Cutler needs to stop hanging out at the Candlelight Tavern (http://www.candlelighttavern.com/). I see him there more often than a Broncos starting QB should ever be seen there. I think they win 7 games this year, which is where I see the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    I'm with you on the Broncos. Elway forever.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    The Jets run a much more traditional offense and I have a hunch we'll see bad Favre back again this season. Jets had a good off-season, but their biggest pickup (other than BF) was Faneca, an aging O-lineman (is there a better team at knowing when a player is on the way out than the Steelers?). This team overspent to make cosmetic changes that I don't expect to result in wins.
    I understand your point but respectfully disagree. The fact that we run a more traditional offense, with a beefed-up O line and fullback complement, might help BF succeed by taking some of the pressure off him. We have never been a big down-field team anyhow - not with Chad's arm.

I like the Faneca deal, at least in the next few years. We also got better on the D-Line with Chris Jenkins. I look forward to seeing if Ghoulston (sp?) succeeds in the NFL. He certainly looks like an LB. I also like the pick up from the Cardinals at LB.

Let's see. At least it's exciting for us again.

Favre Retiring Again?

Found this article on The Onion. Sounds like Favre is ready to retire yet again

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Found this article on The Onion. Sounds like Favre is ready to retire yet again
    How could anyone care, by this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    How could anyone care, by this time!

Jets' fans hoping to win something finally?