Olympic Soccer (Futbol)

How many of the women's soccer players come from unc? If it's a lot, I consider that a GOOD start.

Smile Two teams to watch in the soccer tourney

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Despite not officially opening until 08-08-08, the Olympic competitions have begun!

US Women's Soccer is off to a bad start, losing 2-0 to Norway. Here's to things only going up for them.

Other things I'm looking forward to -- 2,200 hours of online coverage!

And here's a pretty good 1-page schedule of events.
    See also the news I posted on the soccer thread.

Remember also that former Duke player Rebecca Smith is a defender on the New Zealand women's soccer team. I'm pulling for both the US and NZ, but sadly, the US are in the same group as the Football Ferns. Given the US loss today and the NZ tie, it'll be hard to watch a game between the two teams.

Here's a link to a recent story on Smith: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/event/stor...ectid=10525303

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Thumbs up US Men

US 1-0 over Japan.
    We'll take it!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

I wake up this morning to find I started a thread on DBR about women's soccer!? That must have been some night last night.

Thumbs up Yeah!!

US Women 1-0 over Japan this morning.

It must have been some night for Lavabe too, he apparently had a little issue with gender identification.

Red face US WOmen win

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    It must have been some night for Lavabe too, he apparently had a little issue with gender identification.
    Whoops!!

The women sure had a good defense going, but the offense just didn't click as well as I expected.

At this point, I expect a few I Heart Hope Solo posts.

New Zealand (w/Rebecca Smith) next. The Ferns lost to Norway 0-1. The goal was a header in the eighth minute.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

US Men versus the Netherlands right now. US just scored a second goal in about the 68th minute. If they can hold on they will be through...

Holland just put in a couple big guns, or at least one -- Makkay. Let's hopethey can hold on.

Edited to say -- I hope Jozy Altidore can be that cold blooded goal scored the US has never had.

Well, they screwed the pooch on a free kick outside the box...that changes things immensely.

Ugh...so close!

After playing so well the second half, a free kick in stoppage time for the Dutch. Now, Nigeria and the U.S. are tied atop the group with 4 points, and the Dutch have 2 (Japan has 0). A win against Nigeria will secure the group, and a tie could open the door for the Dutch.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Thumbs down Umm...

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Ugh...so close!

After playing so well the second half, a free kick in stoppage time for the Dutch. Now, Nigeria and the U.S. are tied atop the group with 4 points, and the Dutch have 2 (Japan has 0). A win against Nigeria will secure the group, and a tie could open the door for the Dutch.
    Bradley and Adu picked up their second yellow cards of the group stage of this tourney. Doesn't that knock them out of the next game?

Yes, it does...Bradley got his trying to stall the game. Kind of dumb if you ask me. Marcelo Balboa was okay with it, but in retrospect it only makes sense to me if you have a two goal lead. Why? If someone wins USA-Nigeria, they are through. Netherlands will likely beat Japan, so now you have 3 teams for two slots and have to go to tiebreakers. All this could have been avoided by winning this match.

The mitigating factor is that Nigeria had two starters get red cards last game...

It's really humid in China...

I know it sounds basic, but I hope both our teams will proactively drink plenty of fluids during their Olympic run. Many teams seem to be running out of gas toward the end of the games I have watched, with the oppressive heat and humidity.

You may have seen this, but someone recently shared the following link with me to illustrate the benefits of proper hydration for soccer athletes. Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=edd8ItSpRMs

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Ugh...so close!

Actually the US are through to the knockout stages with a win or draw vs Nigeria. The Dutch could overtake Nigeria if we draw with them, but the US would go through. We were SOOOOOOOO dang close to pulling that one out and looked like the better team from about the 20th on. Missed opportunity for sure.

Oh, and I HEART Hope Solo!