2008 Olympics Thread

Despite not officially opening until 08-08-08, the Olympic competitions have begun!

US Women's Soccer is off to a bad start, losing 2-0 to Norway. Here's to things only going up for them.

Other things I'm looking forward to -- 2,200 hours of online coverage!

And here's a pretty good 1-page schedule of events.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080806/...s_us_flag_dc_1

don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but a former lost boy will be our flag bearer.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm really looking forward to the opening ceremonies. Some tv company leaked footage of a rehearsal, but I'm not going to watch it, I don't want to spoil seeing the real thing. From what I've heard it's very impressive.

Off the cuff decision (i.e., without consulting fellow Mods) : please create a new thread for each Olympic sport.

This thread will work fine for general Olympic discussions, but we'll need a new one for Olympic sailing, track, soccer, fencing, etc.

And please keep the Olympic/China politics on the policy board.

Personally, I'd love to know who's producing the opening ceremony - my old company was invited to produce the Athens opening ceremony, but we decided it was a no-win: you can't make money and everyone criticizes it.

-jk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Personally, I'd love to know who's producing the opening ceremony - my old company was invited to produce the Athens opening ceremony, but we decided it was a no-win: you can't make money and everyone criticizes it.
    -jk
    Hopefully you guys would have left out the monster trucks and the "Hey, Y'all"

Here is a good little snippet about this year's ceremonies. Doesn't say who produces it, but it talks about the director.

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080806/...s_us_flag_dc_1

don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but a former lost boy will be our flag bearer.
    That's pretty darned cool. I say two thumbs up.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Resurrecting this thread to say that Logan Tom of the women's volleyball team is super hot.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Resurrecting this thread to say that Logan Tom of the women's volleyball team is super hot.
    It must be nice to be Bush. edit: Not photoshoped.http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...lleyball_N.htm

~rthomas