Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke Football Practice Report

I figured this deserved it's own thread. I will be covering Duke Football Practices leading up to the home opener against James Madison.

Here is the first report - http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

This would also be a great place to place links from Bryan Strickland of the Herald Sun who also covers the beat. The N & O has yet to send anyone out since the start of practice. I discuss the changes I saw having watched several coaches practice systems over the years and a few players who seem prepared to help.

I haven't this impressed since the Spurrier era. There is some great coaching, but the same players. As Cut gets more prospects into the the system, the infusion of talent will be a Godsend.

It would be silly to expect too many wins, but one has to feel we have great opportunities to improve and get more wins this season than in the past three.

Good stuff, Watzone. Thanks.

It is nice to hear that we're trying to run a real D-1 program with a coach who knows how to do it. Cut's experience is at a whole different level than what we've had in the last 20 years.

It seems that Cut has toned down the expectations lately, from
    "we're here to win championships" and "we expect improvement sooner rather than later," to now more of a "well, November is when you can start to tell what this team can do." Am I right in that sense?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Good stuff, Watzone. Thanks.

It is nice to hear that we're trying to run a real D-1 program with a coach who knows how to do it. Cut's experience is at a whole different level than what we've had in the last 20 years.

It seems that Cut has toned down the expectations lately, from
    "we're here to win championships" and "we expect improvement sooner rather than later," to now more of a "well, November is when you can start to tell what this team can do." Am I right in that sense?
    I concur! Thanks for the report on practice!

I've taken Coach Cutcliffe's comments to demonstrate a range of vision which is narrowing down. The first comments about winning championships are very general in scope. Subsequent comments become more and more narrowly focused. This is somewhat like a general overview (longterm) followed by more and more detailed comments or observations down to the up close evaluation of progress coming in November.... vision like a zoom lens at a distance, gradually zoom down to November to see how the team performs after various changes have had time to influence outcome.

Thanks Watzone!

I look forward to seeing what he is planning on doing with kicking/extra points after his comments! This should be an interesting season. I have high hopes!

It's a bit of a natural thing for coaches at Duke to tone it down after the hire. Cutcliffe must have genuine support from the Duke Administration to accomplish what he wants to. It has likely been a shock for him to see a football program with such limited interest from the media. That said, it is a bit natural to curb expectations and see how the support and effort comes one step at a time. In pointing to November, he is stating that they have to finish strong at the end to compete or have any chance at a bowl for they require a strong finish for an invite. Talking bowl with the program he was dealt could prove unwise for us as fans but he is up to the challenge. They indeed want tro finish strong and realize implementing a news system sometimes takes time to master on the field.

Duke Practice Report #2

"No feet, defeat"

http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com...duke-football/

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Duke Practice Report #2

"No feet, defeat"

It sounds like all the players have bought in and are excited.

Good stuff, thanks!

Duke Football Practice Reports #3 and 4.

Running backs have become scarce!

Here is a link from GoDuke.com
    http://www.goduke.com/
    Last edited by watzone; 08-12-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Add link to GoDuke.com

Thanks watzone. It might be too soon to tell but, who do you think is in the lead for the starting HB spot if Boyette is out?

How is Asack's little bro doing?

Quote Originally Posted by DDB4208 View Post
    Thanks watzone. It might be too soon to tell but, who do you think is in the lead for the starting HB spot if Boyette is out?
    It's wide open! Look for a possible postition change in the coming week. My money is that Clifford Harris will get the start if healthy (should be). Duke will emply two backs at times this season. The freshman, Hollingsworth has a lot of potential as does a couple of others. Cut is looking for one to step forward and "take" the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    How is Asack's little bro doing?
    Nobody has seen him kick with the exception of the staff. That is one of the most asked questions in media circles. Duke is not addressing or allowing freshman to interview at this point and time.

Secret weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Secret weapon!
    He and Gus the kicking Mule.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Nobody has seen him kick with the exception of the staff. That is one of the most asked questions in media circles. Duke is not addressing or allowing freshman to interview at this point and time.
    Wats, thanks for the info, I got caught up on all your football reports last night. Good stuff, please keep it coming.

As for the mystery kicker, I am praying this guy can kick. If not, surely there is some 5 foot 6 inch soccer star on campus somewhere that can nail 50 yarders effortlessly?? This is the area I worry about the most...

Tielor Robinson chats of switching to TE.

Chris Respress (earned first unit DL) from yesterdays practice -

Duke defensive front looks to play four quarters -

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It seems that Cut has toned down the expectations lately, from "we're here to win championships" and "we expect improvement sooner rather than later," to now more of a "well, November is when you can start to tell what this team can do." Am I right in that sense?
    I think the early comments were based on questions from the media, questions asking when he will start winning. Most first year coaches have a "timetable" for winning that tends to correspond to when their contract runs out. I think he was saying that he doesn't play those games and his focus is to win ASAP.

Meet the Devils Pic Gallery with scrimmage one just below it.