Thread: Generation Kill

Generation Kill

Anyone watching it? I read the book last year. Great apolitical view of our soldiers in the war. As usual the Wire creators have created a beautiful little miniseries about our most bad a s s soldiers in the watr on terror...

I used to be able to watch wars movies/series but I'm just not able to anymore. When my brother left for his first tour in Iraq the Dear Hunter came up in my Netflix queue; I should've sent it back immediately because it absolutely ruined my week. War movies will have to wait until the brother comes home for good.

I've been watching it and love it. HBO has been doing a pretty good job with their recent mini-series, well...series I guess. I have been going back and watching old episodes to see if I catch stuff that I may have missed the first time around. Seems to be a well put together show though, pretty accurate depiction from what I have heard.

Generation Kill

Without saying too much, and getting this moved over to the Public Policy board, let me just ask how someone would view a TV series written and filmed by reporters from the National Review (i.e., conservative journal) which showed an "insider's view" of the Obama campaign? All those who enjoy reading the National Review would have the view that it would be "apolitical." Those who have a preference for Obama's political view probably wouldn't agree.

Three books stand out in reference to the on-the-ground view of the Iraqi battles. The first I read was Generation Kill, by the Rolling Stones reporter. The second was "One Bullet Away," about the same battles and group of Marines, but written by the Lt. Nathaniel Fick featured in Generation Kill. The third book was "The March Up," written by Bing West & Ray L. Smith. West was a Marine infantry officer in Vietnam, and Smith a rifle company commander in Vietnam, as well as commander of the Marines in Grenada & Beirut. All three are great literature, and worth reading.

Both my twins are currently in the Marines. I bought a copy of "Generation Kill" for each of them, as well as introducing them to the other accounts. Without going into further detail, just suffice it to say the TV version of the Marine Corps in Generation Kill is not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTwinsDad View Post
    Without saying too much, and getting this moved over to the Public Policy board, let me just ask how someone would view a TV series written and filmed by reporters from the National Review (i.e., conservative journal) which showed an "insider's view" of the Obama campaign? All those who enjoy reading the National Review would have the view that it would be "apolitical." Those who have a preference for Obama's political view probably wouldn't agree.
    I meant the book seemed fairly apolitical. I wouldn't expect David Simon to have a little slant in his adaptation -- notice he and Ed Burns wrote the whole thing. Evan Wright didn't do any of the teleplay.

I read recently where a lot of the Marines that were named in the book had trouble advancing up the ranks for one reason or another after it came out. Colbert is one of the exceptions, though - he's apparently on some kind of exchange with the British military.

I need to read Fick's book. He was admirable in Generation Kill and I think they are portraying him well in the miniseries thus far. Sixta is a caracature, but apparently it's dead on. I think the Lt. Col (Godfather) is the one they are making look bad when I didn't think the book did that at all.

Hm... actually, they seem a LOT like a lot of the Marines I know.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTwinsDad View Post

Three books stand out in reference to the on-the-ground view of the Iraqi battles. The first I read was Generation Kill, by the Rolling Stones reporter. The second was "One Bullet Away," about the same battles and group of Marines, but written by the Lt. Nathaniel Fick featured in Generation Kill. The third book was "The March Up," written by Bing West & Ray L. Smith. West was a Marine infantry officer in Vietnam, and Smith a rifle company commander in Vietnam, as well as commander of the Marines in Grenada & Beirut. All three are great literature, and worth reading.

Both my twins are currently in the Marines. I bought a copy of "Generation Kill" for each of them, as well as introducing them to the other accounts. Without going into further detail, just suffice it to say the TV version of the Marine Corps in Generation Kill is not accurate.
    As far as the show being accurate or not, I won't pretend that I have any idea on what really goes on over there in Iraq, so I have no clue if it is or not. I basically just like watching movies/shows/series that focus on the war, and as a television series, I have greatly enjoyed watching this one so far. Another pretty recent movie involving that whole situation that I thought was pretty good was The Kingdom. I've watched that movie several times and I know it's fiction, but I still really enjoy those type of storylines.

Overall, politics aside, I have found the series, thus far, to be outstanding!

The writing, the acting, the cinematography, everything.

Last night's episode, IMO, was the best so far.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Overall, politics aside, I have found the series, thus far, to be outstanding!

The writing, the acting, the cinematography, everything.

Last night's episode, IMO, was the best so far.
    I haven't been able to watch last night's episode yet, but have it on TiVo to watch tonight when I go to bed. If it was better than last week's, I can't wait to see it.

Any of yall watching Hard Knocks too? I hate the Cowboys but love watching that series each year. I like watching what actually goes on behind closed doors in training camp. Im a Panthers fan myself, and couldn't be more happy with the way we played Saturday night. I hope they keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    I haven't been able to watch last night's episode yet, but have it on TiVo to watch tonight when I go to bed. If it was better than last week's, I can't wait to see it.

Any of yall watching Hard Knocks too? I hate the Cowboys but love watching that series each year. I like watching what actually goes on behind closed doors in training camp. Im a Panthers fan myself, and couldn't be more happy with the way we played Saturday night. I hope they keep it up.
    Set aside extra time, there are so many good scenes and sharp dialogue, you'll want to budget rewind-time.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Set aside extra time, there are so many good scenes and sharp dialogue, you'll want to budget rewind-time.
    Sweet, I can't wait. I normally watch the show around 10pm when everyone is in bed but me, and I have found myself rewinding several times over the previous 4 episodes as well. Got it in my schedule now to do tonight at 10 pm