Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Ryan Kelly

We live less than 2 miles from where he plays ball. We will have to catch some of his games this season, hopefully after he decides he's coming to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeddukeblue View Post
    I really hope that we get both of them. Kenny Boynton would fit really good in to the style that Coach K is trying to run.
    That's a no brainer and has been established. What style do you feel Coach K is trying to run? The motion offense is a staple and ran regardless of the roster.

Watzone isn't the only person out there with reliable information. Thanks to everyone who help us with information about the recruits.
    Now, did I say I'm the only one with reliable information anywhere on this thread or in this forum? The answer is no, so why are you coming at me saying calm down? Hey, I simply suggested that a fan not contact prospects. If you care to check out the NCAA By Laws you will know why. No information is worth an infraction and I don't think the staff would like tampering. I certainly understand fans being fans, but it is wise to leave any contact to the staff.

If Coach K thinks that Ryan Kelly is going to help us lets take him.
    I'm sure this will happen if K thinks he will help us

But we still need an athletic Post player that can change a game and we need a very athletic point guard that can break down a defense off the dribble.
    The wish list is long for us followers, but qualifying can sometimes prove to be a difficult factor in certain classes. Any player Duke puts at the PG spot next season with or without Boynton will be athletic. Like you I do hope we get Kenny Boynton Jr. The post player for next season might prove difficult if you are counting on Favors.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 08-16-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by Bsim412 View Post
    Thanks man

For the record, I love your interest and zeal and wasn't trying to be harsh. Young fans are the future.

An aside for others who posted opions. There have been recent cases where fans from other schools posted as fans from rival schools on both Face Book and My Space. I suppose the attempt was to cause havoc in the process. This is especially true with some SEC Football schools where favors of all sorts have been promised. In this age, who is to say it is not the norm to have friends and who are prospects. Still, it has been frowned upon by the big boys. It really is an interesting issue that will seemingly continue. I mean, how do you control it? Also, the prospects seem to like it as well, hopefully, they can figure out who is legit.

I'm 99.99% sure that Cameron was being sarcastic.
    Yes, thank you for noticing. I was beginning to worry about some of these guys a little

N&O: Doreen Kelly

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/prepsn...lt-plans-trips

"Ryan is making a very systematic decision," said Doreen Kelly, his mother. "He isn't going to be swayed by what he likes on a visit. He is going to make the "broken leg" decision — where would he want to go to school if he wasn't playing basketball.

"I am thrilled with the schools he is considering. They all offer him great academics and great athletics."

Then the decission should be clear: It's Duke. All he needs is an offer or for the parents to win the lottery (Duke education before extras $180,000 unless you're smart and need based, very smart and the only applicant from your country, and/or get a scholly).

7. Ryan Kelly Offered?

Looks like it according to Watzone... What do you guys think?

http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by duke5021 View Post
    Looks like it according to Watzone... What do you guys think?

http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/
    I think we could use another big body down low, so its good. He's also supposed to be very versatile, so that's good too. What I worry about, even though I'm not terribly worried, with both him and Mason Plumlee is their ability to score back to the basket and D-up big, bulky centers, which is something we have been missing as of late. I think both are very talented though and when both add a little weight I think that will take care of the defense.

Ryan Kelly, come to duke!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I think we could use another big body down low, so its good. He's also supposed to be very versatile, so that's good too. What I worry about, even though I'm not terribly worried, with both him and Mason Plumlee is their ability to score back to the basket and D-up big, bulky centers, which is something we have been missing as of late. I think both are very talented though and when both add a little weight I think that will take care of the defense.

Ryan Kelly, come to duke!
    Neither of them are traditional back-to-the-basket players.

I put the news up last evening, but folks just got around to seeing it this afternoon with concerns to Kelly. Keep in mind that Duke won two national titles with Laettner in the middle. They disposed of many big bodies along the way, including Shaq at LSU twice. There are but a handful of true dominant centers. Duke's interchangable defensive system is capable of picking up the slack and the fact that Kelly, should he come and the Plumlee's can all float inside and out, draws the bigs. Especially if they hit the three or ten foot jumps shots.

11. K likes the tempo team USA played and I don't think we will really go after too many back to the basket guys. I love offering Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    I put the news up last evening, but folks just got around to seeing it this afternoon with concerns to Kelly. Keep in mind that Duke won two national titles with Laettner in the middle. They disposed of many big bodies along the way, including Shaq at LSU twice. There are but a handful of true dominant centers. Duke's interchangable defensive system is capable of picking up the slack and the fact that Kelly, should he come and the Plumlee's can all float inside and out, draws the bigs. Especially if they hit the three or ten foot jumps shots.
    I for one am excited about the offer, and wat, I think you're spot on with these comments. Have you got any kind of bead on our chances of landing him?

I put the news up last evening, but folks just got around to seeing it this afternoon with concerns to Kelly. Keep in mind that Duke won two national titles with Laettner in the middle. They disposed of many big bodies along the way, including Shaq at LSU twice. There are but a handful of true dominant centers. Duke's interchangable defensive system is capable of picking up the slack and the fact that Kelly, should he come and the Plumlee's can all float indside and out, draws the bigs. Especially if they hit the three or ten foot jumps shots.
    Love ya Wat, but I find it hard reading anything with Laettner mentioned in the same paragraph with Kelly and Plumlee.

"Love ya Wat, but I find it hard reading anything with Laettner mentioned in the same paragraph with Kelly and Plumlee."

How about when Duke went 37-3 and NCAA runner-up in 1986 with Jay Bilas as starting center, all 6'8" and 7 points and 5 rebounds per game of him. Or 1994, when Cherokee Parks was center and Duke again made it to the NCAA finals. Parks averaged 12 and 7 that year, pretty good but they haven't reserved a spot in Springfield for him.

The point is that Duke has won and won big without aircraft carriers in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "Love ya Wat, but I find it hard reading anything with Laettner mentioned in the same paragraph with Kelly and Plumlee."

How about when Duke went 37-3 and NCAA runner-up in 1986 with Jay Bilas as starting center, all 6'8" and 7 points and 5 rebounds per game of him. Or 1994, when Cherokee Parks was center and Duke again made it to the NCAA finals. Parks averaged 12 and 7 that year, pretty good but they haven't reserved a spot in Springfield for him.

The point is that Duke has won and won big without aircraft carriers in the post.
    Much better. Bilas came back to Duke, I think after his sophomore year, with the biggest triceps on earth. He did a great job of defending the post. Didn't hurt that Amaker and JD locked down every guard they played. Oh man, I LOVED Cherokee. If he had been healthy in the champioinship game in 94, we would have one it all for the third time in four years. If either Kelly or Plumlee could be just that good we would be happy. 12 and 7 out of an actual center would win quite a few games.

And...I understood his point all along but it was Laettner and he was an All-America and Player of the Year that was used for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    Much better. Bilas came back to Duke, I think after his sophomore year, with the biggest triceps on earth. He did a great job of defending the post. Didn't hurt that Amaker and JD locked down every guard they played. Oh man, I LOVED Cherokee. If he had been healthy in the champioinship game in 94, we would have one it all for the third time in four years. If either Kelly or Plumlee could be just that good we would be happy. 12 and 7 out of an actual center would win quite a few games.

And...I understood his point all along but it was Laettner and he was an All-America and Player of the Year that was used for reference.
    Not to worry, Laettner is my all time favorite and I remember the late sixties in hoops history. Actually, I remember the Verga, Lewis years as my start to being a fanatic. The point really is that despite Laettners talent and tenacity, he was not a true center and Duke won big. Duke is developing a good cast of players.

Heck, I think we'll be great this season. Singler is the closest thing I've seen to Laettner since his playing days.

In fairness to Shaq, he had Dale Brown as his head coach and Stanley Roberts ate his pregame meals.

For those clamoring for a traditional center, Josh Smith is still available for 2010.

It seems that Mason, Miles, and Ryan are all very similar in playing style and body type. Would it really be beneficial to use a scholarship on a player that will be like two others on the team?

"It seems that Mason, Miles, and Ryan are all very similar in playing style and body type. Would it really be beneficial to use a scholarship on a player that will be like two others on the team?"

Well, that's the $64,000 question isn't it? Evidently, K thinks that their games are sufficiently differentiated that all bring something distinctive to the table.

Besides, don't all Duke recruits play the 3?

Jim,

As you know, the game has changed quite a bit since 86 and 94. I would prefer other players we are recruting. Doc