Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdog923 View Post
    How many schollies do we have for '09? I know we have one out to Boyton, but what about Wilson? If we only have 3 for '09, then I think we should wait to see what Boyton has to say before offering Kelly. If we have 4, then by all means we should offer Kelly. His actions seem to show that he has an interest in coming to Duke, and it would be nice to have the Plums plus Kelly in '09, plus possibly Hairston in '10.
    If we had Kelly, the Plums, and Hairston, we would end up with a backcourt weighing more than our frontcourt and lose every rebound battle in the ACC. Yes this is an irrational statement. but hey, it almost doesn't seem that far fetched.

I say offer Kelly now and let's not end up with a big having Duke second on his final list like the last two out of three years.

Only if he's in the bag

Given where we are at this point in the class, and where the staff is right now, I would only extend an offer to a player if he is in the bag. By which I mean that he communicates that he will accept an offer immediately.

Plumlee and Bonyton (god willing) is/are an ample class right now. Even if we suffered massive attrition this year (Kyle and Gerald), such a class would suffice. Especially because losing both of those guys would probably mean that we had a monster year.

Given who we have or will likely have next year (2010 class), I am fine with not offering any more offers out of a class that is not exactly swarming with players of need for Duke.

Especially to a player like Kelly. I am sure that he is a fine player, but I keep having horrific visions of Shav and McBob about this kid. Tall, skinny, skilled, but not an elite athlete. He looks like Shav all over again. Most of the reports from Vegas that I read were down on the kid. I don't know. I think he was helped by playing with a truly elite PG. When opposing bigs clamped down on him this summer, I heard he collapsed.

Unless one of the elite low post bigs (ie Favors or similiar) gets interested, I say we wait on Boynton and then take our scholly's to the house. After Bejieng K will have monster cred, and the 2010 class is where to use it.

Kelly

I think Coach K will offer Kelly and he will accept. I have been talking to Kenny Boynton on facebook and I am trying to figure out where he is leaning towards. I think Kelly and Boynton will both commit to use. I think Kelly might be a bust though even though he is a very hard worker. My school team plays Ravenscroft this year. I'll tell yhall how he is progressing. For now lets just say I think Kelly and Boynton will both commit to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsim412 View Post
    I think Coach K will offer Kelly and he will accept. I have been talking to Kenny Boynton on facebook and I am trying to figure out where he is leaning towards. I think Kelly and Boynton will both commit to use. I think Kelly might be a bust though even though he is a very hard worker. My school team plays Ravenscroft this year. I'll tell yhall how he is progressing. For now lets just say I think Kelly and Boynton will both commit to Duke.
    Since you speak with Kenny on Facebook I have to say I believe you when you say he will commit

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I do not follow your logic. Boynton is a guard so it seems to me if he doesn't come to Durham we would offer a different guard. Why would an offer to power forward Ryan Kelly be tied to the status of guard Kenny Boynton? Call me confused.
    (This is just my opinion) I was thinking that we would offer the next best player with a scholarship. I don't know why Duke hasn't offered Ryan Kelly yet. I thought that we had plenty of scholarships but if that was the case I think Kelly would have an offer by now. If Kenny Boynton did not commit then the scholarship that would have gone to him would be available. I think that even though Kelly is not a guard, the other guard we would be giving it to is (again in my opinion) Nick Russell. He is not ranked in the top 100 according to Scout.com and Kelly is ranked 13th. While I actually am a big fan of Russell, if the Duke coaches believe these rankings are accurate in terms of the caliber of Kelly and Russell, I think that they would offer Kelly first (again my opinion). So basically I think that because Kelly is supposed to be quite better than our other guard recruit I think he would get priority in terms of recruiting. I don't think that offering to Russell, someone who might not play, would be the right choice. Again I could be completely wrong and I was not trying to insult Nick Russell, I really like that guy.

^sounds logical...the kid is skilled offensively, but (unless he's GP3) he'll be buried on the bench if he can't play defense.

Maybe we should let the strength and conditioning coaches do their job in building up Ryan's new 6'10" body and then let Wojo our bigs coach teach him defense. Coach Billerman, a former Duke captain, I believe, has done a great job with Ryan on the offensive side of the ball and maybe we should let the Duke coaches do their jobs on the other side of the court next year. Ryan is Duke material imo and again I say let's make him an offer he can't refuse, namely playing at Duke for coach K and his staff.

Let me make two fearless predictions about Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly. At least one, if not both, of them will add 20 pounds by the time he plays his first college game, and another 10 once he's in college. At least one of them will be thought of as more of a traditional low-post banger type big by the time he enters college.

The notion that Kelly is too similar to Plumlee that we shouldn't take him just strikes me as silly. These guys are 17, and still growing and developing in their game. Furthermore, if Mason Plumlee's clone were interested in Duke, there would still be room for him and the original Mason on the team. If I told you there were a guard who's almost an exact copy of Kenny Boynton on the team, would you say we shouldn't get both of them? I think not.

It looks like Ryan Kelly really wants an offer from Duke. Kelly is the #17 rated overall player in the country for 09 but I think that is way to high for him. Also Jamal Wilson is still not putting the Blue Devils aside. He has them and Michigan State way up on his list. I think Duke will offer one of these players and most likely it will be Kelly. Reports say that Coach K favors Kelly more than Wilson. More news on Kenny Boynton. It definitley looks like Duke and Florida are in the driver seat but who will he pick? I honestly think he is going to Duke because of Nolan Smith and their relationship. Look for Kenny to commit in the fall!

It looks like Ryan Kelly really wants an offer from Duke. Kelly is the #17 rated overall player in the country for 09 but I think that is way to high for him. Also Jamal Wilson is still not putting the Blue Devils aside. He has them and Michigan State way up on his list. I think Duke will offer one of these players and most likely it will be Kelly. Reports say that Coach K favors Kelly more than Wilson. More news on Kenny Boynton. It definitley looks like Duke and Florida are in the driver seat but who will he pick? I honestly think he is going to Duke because of Nolan Smith and their relationship. Look for Kenny to commit in the fall!
    Do you have any links on this or is it speculation or from subscription sites? It's not cool to give out information from pay sites and links are always nice. One more thing, talking to Kenny Boynton on face book as a Duke fan is not a wise idea. Didn't you read about the problems Kentucky had? Seriously, you are treading on shakey turf. Don't get too involved with a prospects recruitment as a fan if that's the case for it can hurt the team you pull for. Please don't talk to prospects as a fan and or at least don't go around sharing it. The only thing saving you from scrutiny might be your age in that you alluded to the fact you were still in high school.

Thanks man

According to Duke.rivals.com, Duke is interested in Kelly. Here's the link, you have to be a member to see the whole article. I'm not a member.

https://secure.rivals.com/barrier_no...tid=&mid=&rid=

Remember that Eloy Vargas (Florida Player) is one of Kenny's best friends (probably better friends than KB and Nolan). And Kenny also is friends with Austin Rivers (Florida commit). So I don't think that his relationship with Nolan is going to be the determining factor. I hope you are right thought about Kenny committing in the fall. And yeah if I were you, I would follow watzone's advice he knows what he is talking about.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by kydevil
    Since you speak with Kenny on Facebook I have to say I believe you when you say he will commit
    I'm not trying to come across as too confrontational or anything, but, man, please back off Bsim. This guy is facebook friends with Kenny Boynton. His Kenny wall posts will more than likely be a huge factor in whether or not the All-American recruit ends up in Durham. Because they are internet buddies, Kenny is clearly lending Bmis an invaluable inside account of the true story.

I for one am thankful we have such an invaluable source reporting the news here. This is not always the case. Usually we just have guys like watzone who are actually connected to the program in some form or another. This new poster is a refreshing change.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I'm not trying to come across as too confrontational or anything, but, man, please back off Bsim. This guy is facebook friends with Kenny Boynton. His Kenny wall posts will more than likely be a huge factor in whether or not the All-American recruit ends up in Durham. Because they are internet buddies, Kenny is clearly lending Bmis an invaluable inside account of the true story.

I for one am thankful we have such an invaluable source reporting the news here. This is not always the case. Usually we just have guys like watzone who are actually connected to the program in some form or another. This new poster is a refreshing change.
    It's not hard to be his friend on Facebook, he adds pretty much everyone. Im not trying to call out Bsim or anything, but let's be for real.

His Kenny wall posts will more than likely be a huge factor in whether or not the All-American recruit ends up in Durham. Because they are internet buddies, Kenny is clearly lending Bmis an invaluable inside account of the true story.
    Getting a post such as "KENNY COME TO DUKE" and "What school are you leaning to?" are not reasons for a player to go that school, let alone a "huge factor". Bism does not know Kenny. He is just a fan who is excited about a recruit. There is nothing wrong with that but we should give Kenny his space you never know how a player will react. There are a lot of posts on his wall from Duke fans and I don't think Duke fans as a whole want to come off as annoying. And Bism didn't tell us news that we didn't know before or that he could just get from Kenny. Anyways this is a forum about Ryan Kelly. Bism didn't do anything wrong and we were just trying to give him advice.

Does anyone have any more recent news about Ryan Kelly? This isn't new but it may spark some conversation. Kelly played with Mason Plumlee on Team USA (U-18) under coach Bob McKillop (Interestingly Kelly is no longer interested in Davidson). The U-18 team got Silver in the FIBA championships.

This guy is facebook friends with Kenny Boynton. His Kenny wall posts will more than likely be a huge factor in whether or not the All-American recruit ends up in Durham. Because they are internet buddies, Kenny is clearly lending Bmis an invaluable inside account of the true story.

Quote Originally Posted by DDB4208 View Post
    Getting a post such as "KENNY COME TO DUKE" and "What school are you leaning to?" are not reasons for a player to go that school, let alone a "huge factor". Bism does not know Kenny. He is just a fan who is excited about a recruit. There is nothing wrong with that but we should give Kenny his space you never know how a player will react. There are a lot of posts on his wall from Duke fans and I don't think Duke fans as a whole want to come off as annoying. And Bism didn't tell us news that we didn't know before or that he could just get from Kenny. Anyways this is a forum about Ryan Kelly. Bism didn't do anything wrong and we were just trying to give him advice.

Does anyone have any more recent news about Ryan Kelly? This isn't new but it may spark some conversation. Kelly played with Mason Plumlee on Team USA (U-18) under coach Bob McKillop (Interestingly Kelly is no longer interested in Davidson). The U-18 team got Silver in the FIBA championships.
    I'm 99.99% sure that Cameron was being sarcastic.

Calm down Watzone!

I really hope that we get both of them. Kenny Boynton would fit really good in to the style that Coach K is trying to run. Watzone isn't the only person out there with reliable information. Thanks to everyone who help us with information about the recruits. If Coach K thinks that Ryan Kelly is going to help us lets take him. But we still need an athletic Post player that can change a game and we need a very athletic point guard that can break down a defense off the dribble.