Sylvan Landesberg

I got a chance to catch a few minutes of the UVa- tech game yesterday and got my first look at the Freshman Landesberg. This kid is very, very impressive. He is a very smooth player and has a nose for the hoop. He is averaging 19 pts, 5.8 rebounds and 2.5 assists. Yesterday in his first ACC game and on the road had 26 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists. This is a star in the making. Mark that down.

Landesberg is establishing himself as the early favorite for Rookie of the Year honors.
    Bob Green

Battle

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Landesberg is establishing himself as the early favorite for Rookie of the Year honors.
    I see a battle coming on Feb 1st at CIS between Landesberg and Kyle Singler. Go Duke!

He'll likely matchup with Henderson or Scheyer but keep in mind his first ACC competition saw him draw Zach Peacock as his defender. He went around Peacock at will last night.

He definitely is a good player and well on his way to picking up the ACC rookie of the year, but I'm not sold that he's a one and done or anything like that.

There's no doubt he can finish, and he knocks down his free throws, but I still want to see him knock down a few perimeter shots. He's shooting just 31% from three point range, so let's see how ACC teams defend him the rest of the season.

Next up he will go to Maryland where he will see his first true ACC environment. Against the Terps he'll be guarded by Eric Hayes who is a legit ACC perimeter defender.

Seen Landesberg twice in person and a few times on TV.
    Starting point is his ability to get to the rim despite neither blinding quickness or incredible athleticism.
    "Nose for the ball" and "ability to absorb the contact" apply here.
    Second point is that UVA's team really requires this freshman to be the go-to guy. Not a knock on Landesberg, but they depend heavily on himbecause the rest of the team has clear limitations.
    Looking forward to defenses with excellent individual and team defenders matching up against him.
    In essence, I see him having a 2-12 line against Duke with many turnovers and some success getting to the free throw line