Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back In Black

Back In Black

Maybe its from watching all the episodes of College Football Live, or reading all the Duke football previews.

But I had an idea for Cutcliffe to make a splash.

The Blue Devils come out on August 30th, with Smoke and fireworks goin off, and they come out in all black uniforms, to the opening song- "Back in Black" by ACDC

I thought it was a great idea and would LOVE to see them pull it off, but a loss in the game would make them look reallllllly bad.

But I think it would be a cool thing for Duke to do in there opener this year.

You have to be good to play back in black, then come out in all black uniforms when your main color is blue.

I would bet you all the money in my bank account a college football team that wears black has already done that - and was probably better then the Duke football team.

Back in Black is the official slogan for Wake Forest football this season

True Blue

If Duke football wants to make a splash, at least color-wise, they should come out in Prussian blue, which is after all our school color.

I don't know how we got to royal blue in basketball, and much less to the occasional black uniforms, which IMHO are pretty atrocious.

http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/faqs/duke_blue.html

Our theme should be shut up and play. I think that is the appproach Cut is taking.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

black

Let's see, black unis. At home. Late August game. Summer in NC. Probably still 80-85 degrees at game time, even at 7 PM or so. Nah, probably not a good idea.

If you want to get fans exited for football using a classic rock anthem, there's one that suits Duke perfectly...

Runnin' with the Devil- Van Halen. Actually I'm surprised that the DUMB doesn't already play this.

If they win football games they can wear whatever color they want.

black

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    If you want to get fans exited for football using a classic rock anthem, there's one that suits Duke perfectly...

Runnin' with the Devil- Van Halen. Actually I'm surprised that the DUMB doesn't already play this.
    Yea, but in the last several decades, Sympathy for the Devil would be much more appropriate. I am looking forward to a lot less sympathy/pity/scorn and a lot more respect, starting 8/30/08.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    If Duke football wants to make a splash, at least color-wise, they should come out in Prussian blue, which is after all our school color.

I don't know how we got to royal blue in basketball, and much less to the occasional black uniforms, which IMHO are pretty atrocious.

http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/faqs/duke_blue.html
    Not the "black uniforms are bad" thing AGAIN!

The black uniforms are great. And our winning percentage in them is pretty good, too.

But you have to EARN black when it isn't a primary school color.

Maybe after a few straight winning seasons, we can come up with some black football unis.

Black??

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    You have to be good to play back in black, then come out in all black uniforms when your main color is blue.

I would bet you all the money in my bank account a college football team that wears black has already done that - and was probably better then the Duke football team.

I know Duke's colors are blue and white.

But if you havn't noticed the Men's Basketball team wears black for every away game, so black is a main color by basketball stand points

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yea, but in the last several decades, Sympathy for the Devil would be much more appropriate. I am looking forward to a lot less sympathy/pity/scorn and a lot more respect, starting 8/30/08.
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T . . . bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    I know Duke's colors are blue and white.

But if you havn't noticed the Men's Basketball team wears black for every away game, so black is a main color by basketball stand points
    Exery *other* away game.

I never liked the black uniform thing for any team that doesn't have black as one of its colors. It's a very 1990s look and I wish it would fade for good (I think the bad uniform trend of this decade is football teams wearing single color uniforms--all orange (Clemson) or all yellow (WVU)).

Georgia looked awful last year in their black uniforms. Same for Florida State. Even Colorado--who wears black--looks bad when they wear all black.

Duke has put together a solid, classic looking football uniform. Is it a great as Ohio State's reds or Penn State's whites? No. But it's better than a lot of what the ACC has to offer (I'm looking your direction NCST, Clemson, and VT).

They're only colors...

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I never liked the black uniform thing for any team that doesn't have black as one of its colors. It's a very 1990s look and I wish it would fade for good (I think the bad uniform trend of this decade is football teams wearing single color uniforms--all orange (Clemson) or all yellow (WVU)).

Georgia looked awful last year in their black uniforms. Same for Florida State. Even Colorado--who wears black--looks bad when they wear all black.

Duke has put together a solid, classic looking football uniform. Is it a great as Ohio State's reds or Penn State's whites? No. But it's better than a lot of what the ACC has to offer (I'm looking your direction NCST, Clemson, and VT).
    Many college campuses as well as uniforms of sports teams, bands, etc. display the school colors in numerous ways. For some reason Duke has been slow or reluctant to use blue much. For example, for years the trustees met sitting in black leather chairs, not blue. When the football stadium was painted last time blue was used in limited amounts. (Did blue paint cost more than a neutral color?).

Is displaying your schools colors too pedestrian? Is it too unseemly (whatever that is!)? Is an overt expression of loyalty too common or too much public display of emotion?

The primary functions of school colors are to identify the school and to unify those who feel ties to the school. I can be happy with a ranges of shades of blue from Prussian to royal, but I want to see my school colors displayed more on the campus. I want to see my school colors worn by the athletic teams and the bands. Lots of black and lots of white in the color schemes don't make me think DUKE like lots of dark blue does!

Why? According to the link in the Miramar post, Prussian Blue is the official color of Duke University. Also, there is no color worse than black to be wearing on a hot day in September. Black is only meant for mourning, and for black cocktail dresses for the ladies.

im probably one of the few, but i really love our black uni's. i also liked geogia's last year. to me, it's more of a "we're gonna put you in the grave". its kind of like ny's red uni's: used for special occasions like us kicking Tar Heel butt at the nosedome.

I am old enough to have been around when the DUKE football team wore all white with blue trim (on the road, and at home by choice--per QB's Rappold & Garner). Combine that with the white helmet with the very wide BLUE STRIPE and THAT was a great look.

Bring it back ! (along with the winning years we had with it ! )

Smile What goes with maroon, orange and purple?

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    (I'm looking your direction NCST, Clemson, and VT).
    Hey fellow mountain person:

What would you propose Clemson and Virginia Tech do? Clemson's offical colors are purple and orange. VT's are maroon and orange. Now how would you design the unis to positively reflect on the school, its colors and its athletic traditions?

sagegrouse

Almost forgot ... (well, after all, this IS the D B R ) I like the black uniforms on our hoop team. Football? Not so sure ... please see above. Maybe some of my fellow geezers can comment on our gridiron look in the early and mid-60's ... as I remember, only 1 or 2 other teams in the country had that wide stripe on the helmets.