Thread: Fly Fishing

Fly Fishing

I had never been fly fishing until the last two weeks. My son and I went out with a guide in the Rockies two weeks ago, and I went in a local river today with a friend. I do not own any fly fishing equipment ( way too much other fish stuff though), but am now "hooked". Anybody on here have any advice for a novice?

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    I had never been fly fishing until the last two weeks. My son and I went out with a guide in the Rockies two weeks ago, and I went in a local river today with a friend. I do not own any fly fishing equipment ( way too much other fish stuff though), but am now "hooked". Anybody on here have any advice for a novice?
    What kind of advice you seeking? If you're looking to get a rod, I'd base my suggestions on a price point.

For my money, Orvis and Sage make the best fly rods available (with my personal preference leaning towards Sage; both my trout rod and my bonefish/tarpon rod are Sage).

The Sage VT2 is a very good rod and a good value as far as Sage goes, but it runs at around $400 (and this doesn't include a reel). That rod will, however, last you as long as you need it to (it will hold up and you'll never outgrow it in terms of skill) and Sage will replace it easily if, by chance, it breaks during the normal course of fishing.

On the Orvis side, the Streamline series is a great option for someone looking to purchase a quality rod to learn on. They run under $100 (not including reel) and, again, should be easily replaced if broken in the course of fishing (I broke an old Orvis Green Mountain series rod a few years ago and, despite that rod not being made for years before I broke it, they replaced it with the "newer" model, no questions asked). This is a rod that, if you continued with the sport, you'd probably find somewhat limiting and would eventually replace, but would be perfect to learn on.

No matter what kind of rod you purchase, I'd suggest getting a 5-weight. It'll be strong enough to handle any trout/bass you'll hook, but light enough to make it a fight.

Hey, this is the kind of info I am seeking. Thanks.

I echo rockymtn's praise for Sage rods and his recommendation of a 5-weight for your first purchase. I actually lost the tip section of a rod I'd had for better than 5 years and they replaced it no questions asked. This fall I'm planning on purchasing a 2-weight TXL for fishing the trout streams of the Virginia foothills.

All of my fly fishing has been on the east coast in the mountains of Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee, although I'm about to remedy that when my brother and I take our dad on fly fishing trip to Montana next summer. Can't wait.

Good luck and make sure you share some of your fishin' stories.

Hey, this is the kind of info I am seeking. Thanks.
    Where in the Rockies did you and your son go?

mph, I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on using the 2-weight. My trout rod is a 4, and that'll handle just about anything I hook out here (I avoid the Tiger Muskies). I've contemplated getting a 2-weight to fish cutthroat, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Wow, I never realized people went fishing for flies...

J/K

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Where in the Rockies did you and your son go?

mph, I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on using the 2-weight. My trout rod is a 4, and that'll handle just about anything I hook out here (I avoid the Tiger Muskies). I've contemplated getting a 2-weight to fish cutthroat, but haven't taken the plunge yet.
    We fished in the Big Thompson outside of Estes Park. We were staying there (Estes) for a family reunion and my son and I decided to fish. A very good decision. We each caught (and released) five rainbows.

We fished in the Big Thompson outside of Estes Park. We were staying there (Estes) for a family reunion and my son and I decided to fish. A very good decision. We each caught (and released) five rainbows.
    Sounds like a great day of fishing. Glad to hear you enjoyed it enough to look into taking up the sport. Don't get me wrong, I love throwing a worm into a lake and drinking beer while waiting for a large mouth to hit, but there's something very rewarding about searching the stream/lake/flat for clues of what the fish are eating, switching to a stone fly and landing a 20-inch rainbow.

My guess is that if you're fishing lakes and ponds in Ohio you'll be very successful using hoppers, damsel flies, and wooly-buggers. That's kind of the holy trinity of lake fishing flies.

The Orvis site is great--a glossary for people like me is a part of the site --answered and/or confirmed a lot of things for me--there are rivers and ponds around here just waiting for me to throw money into them!! I can not wait.

The Orvis site is great--a glossary for people like me is a part of the site --answered and/or confirmed a lot of things for me--there are rivers and ponds around here just waiting for me to throw money into them!! I can not wait.
    In line with this, you may look into buying a beginners guide to fly fishing. I'm sure Orvis makes one, and I know LL Bean makes a very good introduction book. It may seem like a dumb thing to spend time reading, but the LL Bean book has just about everything you need to know--from knot tying, to what you should look for in equipment, to how to "fish" various flies. My dad got me the LL Bean book was I was 13 or so (and was given the old Green Mountain rob that eventually split at the base) and it still sits on my bookshelf. Great resource.

Good advice--I wonder if there is a "Fly Fishing for dummies" book? I am going to a local river this evening to fish for smallmouth. I bought a five weight rod/reel combo at Bass Pro a couple of days ago--.

Your line is ever bit as important as the weight rating of the rod you choose. Many suggest that you become familiar with Level floating line first, then progress to Weight-Forward line.

I had another great time tonight. On one level, this is simple. On another, I can see there is SO much more to learn and practice--a sport you can enjoy from the start but get better at as you receive advice.

Good advice--I wonder if there is a "Fly Fishing for dummies" book?
    Several:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...ishing+dummies

I will own one of these books soon. In as much as I am self taught, I need to see and learn the correct way of doing things.