Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't know, guys... but the Doyel article linked at the top, and his own link in the article under "most recently this one" on page 2... I found amusing, and even entertaining. Maybe I don't have the history with him as most of you do... but I just did NOT take those 2 articles seriously... kinda like articles you put in a newspaper or magazine to "take up space"... just one guy rambling on about his own pet peeves, desires, etc. Certainly not a "reporter" kind of article, so just treat is like it is... a back-end filler of some guy that has a problem with something. There's a guy in a computer magazine that kinda does that... always bashing something...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I don't know, guys... but the Doyel article linked at the top, and his own link in the article under "most recently this one" on page 2... I found amusing, and even entertaining. Maybe I don't have the history with him as most of you do... but I just did NOT take those 2 articles seriously... kinda like articles you put in a newspaper or magazine to "take up space"... just one guy rambling on about his own pet peeves, desires, etc. Certainly not a "reporter" kind of article, so just treat is like it is... a back-end filler of some guy that has a problem with something. There's a guy in a computer magazine that kinda does that... always bashing something...
    The thing is, he's not being tongue in cheek. He actually has had it in for K since the book snub. He does, as he admits, deliberately try to, shall we say, liven things up at K's press conferences. He's basically made a large part of his mission as a college basketball writer to cut down Coach K. And he readily admits it. And CBS (and I'm sure a good chunk of his readership) loves him for it. To which I say, "Boooooooo!" (actually, what I have to say doesn't come close to making it past the language filters here).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Hey Doyley! You're ugly.

I kinda like Doyel. Can I still be a Duke fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I kinda like Doyel. Can I still be a Duke fan?
    I think we follow a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in that regard.

Damn, well I screwed that one up then. I'll make sure to never mention it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Damn, well I screwed that one up then. I'll make sure to never mention it again.
    Too late. OPK will be by this afternoon to confiscate your official DBR membership card and to expedite your dishonorable discharge.

Wander, you broke my heart.

Ummm, for the record - I'm quite sure Doyel reads these pages as well. I'm sure he gets a hoot out of this...

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Too late. OPK will be by this afternoon to confiscate your official DBR membership card and to expedite your dishonorable discharge.

Wander, you broke my heart.
    Wander = Fredo.

"You're dead to me."

(Sorry, that's just the way it's gotta be).

If Gregg reads these pages: Dear Mr. Doyel. First time, long time. Listen, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect the fact that you get paid to give yours. Pretty neat job, actually. And I respect the fact that you do not think highly of Coach K. You are entitled to that opinion, in the same way that I detested Dean Smith even though objectively speaking many others would say my burning seething hatred of him was somewhat irrational and clinically pathological. Anywho, if you want to take broad swipes at our coach, our team, our student body, and/or our institution you have every right to do so. But please, pretty please, drop the broad brush with which you paint. If you have a beef, state the facts and let the chips fall where they may. Broad-based swipes do not forward the discussion in any meaningful manner.

Thanks, and go to hell Carolina!

Respectfully, OPK

again...who is this greg doyel?

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    doyel is an idiot. He was on Adam Gold's show this morning basically promoting the article. Everything I read in the article he pretty much covered on the air this morning. I wonder if he has ever badgered Jim Calhoun for the UCONN kid (Burrell??) that slammed Christian's head into the court a couple of times during a game in the early 90's when they got tangled up and went down to the floor as play continued the other way?? That was a dirty play but no one seems to remember that one...
    I think it was Rod Sellers, but you could be right.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

It was Sellers

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    I think it was Rod Sellers, but you could be right.
    Ok. I looked it up and you are correct. It was in fact Rod Sellers. Here is a link. Check the photo out. No doubt an intentional blow, but I am sure doyel would see it as ok..
    http://www.truthaboutduke.com/encyc.php?encycid=13

Unhappy

Does Greg Doyel have a problem with my inherent Duke-ness?

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Ummm, for the record - I'm quite sure Doyel reads these pages as well. I'm sure he gets a hoot out of this...
    In that case...

Mr. Doyel, I don't really care whether you stand for or against Duke. But the fact remains that you are, on a fairly consistent basis, a lousy writer.

Injecting yourself into your writing can be a useful device at times, and can even be a sports columnist's bread and butter. But it only works if people can understand and appreciate your perspective. Your work fails to achieve this basic human level.

Furthermore, you are not separated enough from daily sports reporting to portray the curmudgeon. You write as if you're trying to have it both ways -- being the correspondent and the commentator -- but you really don't succeed in either role.

Do you remember when journalism had standards? Place that memory quickly. You need to employ a different and more effective approach to your writing. Start by focusing on what you like more than what you don't; that way your readers can tell exactly where you fit in the college basketball world, if at all. Then, once your beliefs and opinions are established, feel free to rail against Duke and Coach K all you want.

Until then, stop writing for the sole purpose of encouraging rabid, ugly comments on both sides that show their moronic authors for what they are: amateur versions of you.

Doyel can read?

Really not a fan of Doyle. This type of article just seems completely unnecessary.

"Hello, my name is Greg Doyel and it is Coach K's fault that I'm eating ramen noodles."

I have 7-Up bubbles coming from my nose right now...wooooh!