Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad News For Duke, Re: Kentucky

Apparently not many people have put it together yet but Kentucky's top pick to replace Tubby is Billy Donovan. With Kentucky and Florida on Patterson's list, if Billy goes to Kentucky, then so goes Patterson.

Some thought this was a good situation for Duke, i.e. Tubby out at Kentucky but it just might be the worst news.

What's the chances that Billy would leave for UK? He didn't play there, but was an assistant under Pitino, right? I think he has little reason to leave the program he's built at UF --- I think he'll use the situation to improve his contract at UF, but my guess is that he'll stay...

I don't know... Patterson's mom seemed to suggest that Tubby's exodus was a poor reflection on the fans of Kentucky. I have no idea if Donovan will end up at Kentucky, but his hire would do nothing about the circumstances of Tubby's departure, which seemingly left a sour impression on the Patterson family.

I guess it's possible that Donovan at UK could be more attractive to PP than Donovan at UF, but that's not a given. If Patterson wants to play for Donovan, he'll play for him. It's not like Donovan is coaching a low-profile school now...

Let's just hope Duke makes Patterson's top 3 first, before we start worrying about anything else! Maybe his top 3 will be UVA, Wake Forest, and Duke and we won't have to worry about UK OR Donovan!

Just read an article that suggests Donovan is the BEST fit for Kentucky. With Donovan there, recruiting will be easier for him (after all it would be Kentucky).

Thus he would be able to get guys like Patterson (and Jai, a good friend of Patterson's) and others to come. Thus, he could sell it to Patterson that he will have a good team around him and being one of the first signees Billy might want to build around him. Thus, Kentucky would look very attractive to Patterson. Not that Duke doesn't but Duke won't build a team around him where in Kentucky Donovan might be able to do that.

And Florida is on his list. IMO, in Patterson's eyes, Donovan + Kentucky might be > than Duke.

There's no way...

There's no way Donovan leaves for Kentucky.

Yes, Kentucky fans might want Billy Donovan, but that doesn't mean they're going to get him. This whole situation reminds me of Indiana and John Calipari last year.

Donovan has just won 1 basketball championship, and is pretty darn close to winning another. Just saying that "it's Kentucky" doesn't cut it anymore. Kentucky fans have to realize that their program has been barely relevant for the past 10 years.

After the way the fans treated Tubby Smith, Donovan would be an idiot to leave. I'm sure he'll get an offer. Florida's a huge state school, they'll beat it, and then he'll go back home. Kentucky fans will cry and they'll have to go search for another job.

IMO, the Michigan and Kentucky jobs are very similar...seemingly attractive on the surface but with huge pressure to win and terrible fans gunning for your throat.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    Just read an article that suggests Donovan is the BEST fit for Kentucky. With Donovan there, recruiting will be easier for him (after all it would be Kentucky).

Thus he would be able to get guys like Patterson (and Jai, a good friend of Patterson's) and others to come. Thus, he could sell it to Patterson that he will have a good team around him and being one of the first signees Billy might want to build around him. Thus, Kentucky would look very attractive to Patterson. Not that Duke doesn't but Duke won't build a team around him where in Kentucky Donovan might be able to do that.

And Florida is on his list. IMO, in Patterson's eyes, Donovan + Kentucky might be > than Duke.
    You may very well be right, IF Donovan went to Kentucky. How soon would that be? Would it be before Patterson needed to make a commitment (April 11)? I'm sure Kentucky would try to get Donovan as soon as possible, but, if Florida won another championship, for example, do you think Donovan would then announce in the next day or two "I'm leaving for Kentucky?" Maybe so. Just wondering about timelines.

Actually I'm hoping Butler knocks off the Gators tonight so that Donovan can make his decision more quickly...
    Last edited by Susan; 03-23-2007 at 01:15 PM.

concentrating energies on the guys we do get

pet peeve of mine:
    Why do people care so much about the guys we go after and/or miss out on? Every year it is the same thing - fans breathlessly awaiting the decision of some 18 yo.

K gets plenty of the best talent and even that isnt enough to satisfy some. They want ALL of the best players. Kinda silly.

Wish I had archives to look back and see how many duke fans wet themselves in anticipation of shav or mcroberts or nelson, only to complain when those players dind't realize YOUR absurd expectation levels (quickly enough).

1. Wait til Duke signs a player
    2. trust K
    3. cheer them on.

rant over.

My gut tells me that we're not going to land PP. Duke's recruiting doesn't usually play out this way...

Quote Originally Posted by dbb03 View Post
    rant over.
    Feel better?

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    Apparently not many people have put it together yet but Kentucky's top pick to replace Tubby is Billy Donovan. With Kentucky and Florida on Patterson's list, if Billy goes to Kentucky, then so goes Patterson.

Some thought this was a good situation for Duke, i.e. Tubby out at Kentucky but it just might be the worst news.
    The logical relationship here is flawed. That assertion is predicated on the idea that PP will go wherever Donovan goes. If that's the case, Tubby's departure has no effect on Duke, only on whether PP goes to UF or UK.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

"Just saying that "it's Kentucky" doesn't cut it anymore."

Can this be said about Duke?

And I'm not saying where Donovan goes Patterson goes, but put the two together and that might make it more attractive.

As much as I want Patterson at Duke and I think Duke needs him, I'm not sure Donovan + Kentucky wouldn't be more attractive.

I just hope the current and incoming class will help to get Patterson at Duke cuz I think within 2 years Duke will be at the top again with him.

I agree with the post that says they feel we are not going to get Patterson. On one board I saw him maybe going with Jai Lucas and that would not be Duke. I hope I am wrong but I don't have a good feeling either.

No bad news here for Duke

Hard to see any way that Tubby's departure and the speculation over Donovan's future reduces Duke's chances of getting Patterson (whether it increases those chances is difficult to determine).

And to the extent that Donovan decides to play the Kentucky card to extract more cash from UF, then UF has that much less cash with which to tempt Coach G.

If Donovan goes to Kentucky

and if we have another last second inbounds play to win the game, bet Kentucky covers the guy inbounding the ball!
    Look, I hope Patterson comes to Duke, but I want him to do it because he likes Duke, not because Smith's out or Donovan's moving, or whatever.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
    There's no way Donovan leaves for Kentucky.

Yes, Kentucky fans might want Billy Donovan, but that doesn't mean they're going to get him. This whole situation reminds me of Indiana and John Calipari last year.

Donovan has just won 1 basketball championship, and is pretty darn close to winning another. Just saying that "it's Kentucky" doesn't cut it anymore. Kentucky fans have to realize that their program has been barely relevant for the past 10 years.

After the way the fans treated Tubby Smith, Donovan would be an idiot to leave. I'm sure he'll get an offer. Florida's a huge state school, they'll beat it, and then he'll go back home. Kentucky fans will cry and they'll have to go search for another job.

IMO, the Michigan and Kentucky jobs are very similar...seemingly attractive on the surface but with huge pressure to win and terrible fans gunning for your throat.

Agreed. There is no way that Donovan leaves UF, especially given the fact that he convinced his entire team last year to stay for another run out of loyalty. UF, while always a football school first and foremost, has injected a lot of resources and excitement into its basketball program. Combine that with its location, weather, academics, etc. and it will be a high-profile basketball program for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Feel better?
    tip top. you?

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    My gut tells me that we're not going to land PP. Duke's recruiting doesn't usually play out this way...
    No? How does Duke's recruiting usually play out?

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    What!? We got Kyle Singler to leave Oregon and come across the country, we got Scheyer away from Illinois when Weber's brother was his HS coach, and we got Lance Thomas to come down even though he had natural feelings for Rutgers. Where have you been the past few years?