Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My first earthquake

Ok, so we just had an earthquake in LA (I'm downtown). MSNBC is reporting a 5.6 magnitude. It was rolling pretty good (no damage/injuries in my office) and a bit freaky for this Jersey Girl. Everyone in LA/SoCal ok?

Sue71

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    My first earthquake
    Three words I never hope to say.

Glad your fine.

Ok, so we just had an earthquake in LA (I'm downtown). MSNBC is reporting a 5.6 magnitude. It was rolling pretty good (no damage/injuries in my office) and a bit freaky for this Jersey Girl. Everyone in LA/SoCal ok?

Sue71
    Are you okay?

LA quake

Sue71
    I'm downtown too. Our building is on rollers, so we felt it pretty good up high. It was one big jolt followed by 30 seconds or so of rolling. Not that bad for earthquake vets but scary for the newbies. We were due, and it's good when we get these, so long as nobody is hurt of course, as it is thought to extend the time until TBO hits, as it relieves pressure. Supposedly.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

Sue71
    Welcome to the club. Glad your ok. When you wake up in the morning and notice that all the pictures hanging crooked on the wall, that's freaky.

Wow. Watching on the news now.

I echo everyone else's thoughts: GLAD YOU ARE OKAY!

-EarlJam

Glad to hear that you are all ok. I hope the other Dbr folks in CA are fine also. You never forget your first earthquake.

Earthquakes are scary no matter how many you've experienced. Hopefully, everyone is okay and this little one let off a lot of pressure.
    Bob Green

We're all fine here. Native Californians were amused by it. I was a little shaken up (literally & figuratively). It was more of a rolling quake where I am. But like I said, no damage or injuries. Just my "initiation" I suppose.

Glad that you are okay. And I can't resist . . .

"I felt the earth move under my feet
    I felt the sky come tumbling down . . ."

I'm actually sort of jealous. I want to experience a moderate one, if only to say that I have. I remember my mother calling me one day during my junior year at Duke to inform me that there had been a noticeable quake in the Atlanta area, and I was genuinely sorry I missed it. She also told me that, like lots of people say, her dogs really did freak out throughout the several hours before the tremor.

I am not glad your OK (your OK what?). I am, however, glad you're OK. The Grammar Police have several citations to issue in response to this thread alone.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm actually sort of jealous. I want to experience a moderate one, if only to say that I have. I remember my mother calling me one day during my junior year at Duke to inform me that there had been a noticeable quake in the Atlanta area, and I was genuinely sorry I missed it. She also told me that, like lots of people say, her dogs really did freak out throughout the several hours before the tremor.

I am not glad your OK (your OK what?). I am, however, glad you're OK. The Grammar Police have several citations to issue in response to this thread alone.
    San Diego is your place wilson! I felt the quake in my office in Carlsbad, about 80 miles south of the epicenter. We got a good jolt and then 20 seconds of walls, desk shaking; my chair even rolled a smidge. I told Sue this was my third (of this magnitude) in four years.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    San Diego is your place wilson! I felt the quake in my office in Carlsbad, about 80 miles south of the epicenter. We got a good jolt and then 20 seconds of walls, desk shaking; my chair even rolled a smidge. I told Sue this was my third (of this magnitude) in four years.
    Wow! You're 3rd quake in 4 years? I'm sure your getting to feel like they're just another day at the office. Your lucky to have so much action in you're place of work. I'm glad your not injured, and I hope that you're family members are likewise safe.

I've been in the bay area for ~1.5 years now. There have been about 3 quakes that I'm apparently supposed to have felt, but didn't feel any of them. My wife swears she's felt 2 of them, so maybe it's about time I lost some weight...

I'm glad your not injured, and I hope that you're family members are likewise safe.
    That made me smile (emphasis added).
    We get a few every year that make the windows rattle, really no worse than say a dump truck screaming past your window at 60 mph. The really scary one was a few months after the big tsunami hit. There was an earthquake off shore of San Diego, strong enough to shake windows and dishes in the cabinets, and the local media/weather service freaked and issued a tsunami advisory. Not cool.

That made me smile (emphasis added).
    Well, I'm glad that at least your picking up on my sarcasm if nobody else is. I appreciate you're acknowledgement. Some of the posts in this thread are making me cringe.

Smile Your/you're/yer/yore

Wow! You're 3rd quake in 4 years? I'm sure your getting to feel like they're just another day at the office. Your lucky to have so much action in you're place of work. I'm glad your not injured, and I hope that you're family members are likewise safe.
    Wow! William Safire's Gotcha Gang is alive and well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Wow! William Safire's Gotcha Gang is alive and well!!
    Thank you, Lav. It's always good to have at least one other died-in-the-wool nerd around. I'm glad your one of them.

Well, I'm glad that at least your picking up on my sarcasm if nobody else is. I appreciate you're acknowledgement. Some of the posts in this thread are making me cringe.
    I offered to pay a coworker for each correct time he uses "your" and "you're" in an e-mail and/or chat. He refused. I guess it's just too hard of a habit to break.

I offered to pay a coworker for each correct time he uses "your" and "you're" in an e-mail and/or chat. He refused. I guess it's just too hard of a habit to break.
    No, it's not a habit. It's a matter of speaking the language properly. I can not stress this enough (and no, "cannot" is not a word). My students will always lose points for transposing words like your/you're and their/their/they're. Period.
    And I dare anyone to ever hand in a paper to me containing the word "ur". As in, "ur shirt is nice."