Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    No, it's not a habit. It's a matter of speaking the language properly. I can not stress this enough (and no, "cannot" is not a word). My students will always lose points for transposing words like your/you're and their/their/they're. Period.
    And I dare anyone to ever hand in a paper to me containing the word "ur". As in, "ur shirt is nice."
    According to Wiki, "Ur" was an ancient city in southern Mesopotamia . . .

I'm not sure if the people of Ur wore what we consider shirts, but if they did would they be Ur shirts?

Wilson - you made me go back and check my post to be sure that I had my your and you're correct. I think I passed. Whew!

Smile But really, has anyone heard from Mom?

No, it's not a habit. It's a matter of speaking the language properly. I can not stress this enough (and no, "cannot" is not a word). My students will always lose points for transposing words like your/you're and their/their/they're. Period.
    And I dare anyone to ever hand in a paper to me containing the word "ur". As in, "ur shirt is nice."
    Depending on your style guide and dictionary, "cannot" exists. For example, see Webster's New World College (4th ed). I believe Grammar Girl had a segment on it. Then again, I don't give in on split infinitives, but many grammarians say it's perfectly fine.

Likewise, "publicly" is the preferred spelling in Webster's New World; I have also found some dictionaries that allow your use of "publically."

Have fun grading the its/it's at Emory!!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. Fish80: Emory's Carlos Museum had an exhibit of the treasures from Ur.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    That made me smile (emphasis added).
    We get a few every year that make the windows rattle, really no worse than say a dump truck screaming past your window at 60 mph. The really scary one was a few months after the big tsunami hit. There was an earthquake off shore of San Diego, strong enough to shake windows and dishes in the cabinets, and the local media/weather service freaked and issued a tsunami advisory. Not cool.
    That wasn't a dump truck, it was a series of tubes.

not sure if you're joking, but I've always learned that "can not" is incorrect (or less preferred), and it should always be written as "cannot"

"cannot" is not a word
    This is the first time I have ever heard anyone claim this. I think you're wrong about it, but I'd love to hear your explanation as to how or why "cannot" isn't a word. Isnot, maynot and couldnot I agree are not words. Yet I have never heard anyone (or is it any one?) make this claim. Google a bit and you will find yourself in the minority on this one - and "cannot" apparently dates from the twelfth century (scroll to last comment) - so it's an old word.

Ur is the city where Abraham was born.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    not sure if you're joking, but I've always learned that "can not" is incorrect (or less preferred), and it should always be written as "cannot"
    Both "can not" and "cannot" should be banished from our lexicon.

We are DBR. We are "can" people.

Yes we can!

Sorry to threadjack the established grammar threadjack, but on the subject of earthquakes, I have been in so many that I remember at one time being mostly annoyed because I was trying to write a letter and it made it hard to write!

I lived in Japan for almost three years. They have tons of quakes. Only two of them scared me severely. In one, I was on a platform at a train station. The plaster from the overhang was falling down like a gentle snowfall as the platform moved what seemed to be 3 feet in one direction, then back again. Finally, a sign about 10 feet wide by 6 feet tall and about 9 inches thick came off its moorings and crashed down onto the platform, sending up the plaster in tidal waves on all sides. Shortly thereafter, the shaking stopped. It was deathly silent for what seemed an eternity.

On another occasion, I was working in the nursery at a hospital in Tokyo, in a room easily 20 feet tall, located on about the 14th floor of a big building. One entire wall was nothing but plate glass windows. When the quake began, all I could see in my mind's eye was the glass raining down on the newborn babies in their bassinets. I pushed as many as possible together and then draped my body over them to the best of my ability and waited for the shards. The windows made lots of noise, but held up, and the shaking eventually stopped.

Almost forgot, thanks to everyone for the thoughts!

I am not glad your OK (your OK what?). I am, however, glad you're OK. The Grammar Police have several citations to issue in response to this thread alone.
    You're my hero, Wilson.
    Love, Ima

This thread is just asking for a throatyquake.

We were rockin' and rollin' here too! Nothing broken or damaged, and all is well.

...sure has scared those folks coming into town on Friday though!

I'm glad everyone is okay. How about you DukeMomLA?

I suppose I stand corrected on "cannot," but I have had multiple English instructors over the years tell me to avoid it like the plague. At the very least, it's an either/or kind of situation.
    But "your" never right when you compose sentences like this.

I suppose I stand corrected on "cannot," but I have had multiple English instructors over the years tell me to avoid it like the plague. At the very least, it's an either/or kind of situation.
    But "your" never right when you compose sentences like this.
    ur just jealous u don tlk like, idk, my bff jill? ㅋㅋㅋ

(/hijack) Supposedly people could feel the quake in San Diego, and as far away as Vegas... crazy stuff. While we're in Nevada, have those quakes in Reno from earlier this year stopped? I'm wondering if those could be related, but since I know nothing about seismology and geology, that could be a really stupid question.

(/hijack) Supposedly people could feel the quake in San Diego, and as far away as Vegas... crazy stuff. While we're in Nevada, have those quakes in Reno from earlier this year stopped? I'm wondering if those could be related, but since I know nothing about seismology and geology, that could be a really stupid question.
    Yes, you could feel it quite distinctly in San Diego. Here's a very helpful website that I go to whenever I feel a quake/tremor. It may have an answer on the activity in Reno. That said, I suspect that there would be little to no connection, since the faults are very far apart from each other.

Definitely was felt in San Diego. I was in Carlsbad and it shook my office chair with me in it, that's quite an amazing feet! I also have a friend that works downtown and she felt it too. Fun day!

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    ... it shook my office chair with me in it, that's quite an amazing feet!
    Ha! Good one!

...that was intentional...right?

[emphasis added]

Grammar Police

I'm listening to an investor call, and the CEO just said " . . .this remains a top priority for myself as well as the rest of the management team . . ."

I'm a numbers guy, but it seems better to say ". . . a top priority for me". Was his use of "myself" incorrect?

Appreciate ur thoughts, wherever ur at.

My sister-in-law lives in LA and reported that she didn't have any damage to her place. She did note the amusing comments in the LA Times.com story on the quake. People wrote things like, "I felt it as I woke up"... or "it shook me out of bed." Keep in mind it happened at 11:42 a.m.