Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wow, this is geeky

I just walked past a couple of server rooms in my office that have been under construction the past month. I just now noticed that someone taped a piece of paper to each door labeling the rooms as Nebuchadnezzar "Neb" and Logos.

I want to laugh, but it's a bit too sad for that.

Perhaps I should scribble on the paper "there is no spoon"

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I just walked past a couple of server rooms in my office that have been under construction the past month. I just now noticed that someone taped a piece of paper to each door labeling the rooms as Nebuchadnezzar "Neb" and Logos.

I want to laugh, but it's a bit too sad for that.

Perhaps I should scribble on the paper "there is no spoon"
    I worked in an office where the conf rooms were all named for famous pets: Lassie, Scooby-Doo, Rin-Tin-Tin, etc. I always got a laugh when I had meetings in the "Mr. Bigglesworth" room.
    "There can BE only one."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Naming servers is one of the fun parts of the my job. One of my larger clients is a security firm, they now have 5 servers, up from one only a year ago. Since they are in the security guard business, I named the first server Robocop, the second one Murphy (robocop's human name), and the third Lewis (Murphy's partner). Dentist's offices are prevalant here too. The last server I set up in one of those offices I named Einhorn, after the guy who invented novocaine. Since I live at the beach, I've named a bunch servers around town after pirates. It's also fun coming up with administrator names. (Any good tech knows rule 1 of a server is to change the admin name from "administrator") My favorite is ButrosButros, after the ex UN leader.

At my first job, we had file cabinets in every cube. My first two accounts were BellSouth Mobility and Solutia Carpets. There were three drawers in each cabinet, I labeled them:

1) BellSouth Mobility Files

2) Solutia Carpets Files

3) The Rockford Files

-EarlJam

Ours are browsers. The biggest room is IE. Second largest is Firefox (I'm in it now). Lynx is way small.

Batman is the main server all of our customers use.
    Robin is the high availability backup.
    Alfred is our development server.

At RPI, our CS servers were (the ones I can remember anyway):
    Monica
    Ashley
    Mary-Kate
    Barbara
    Jenna
    Patty (haven't figured out what this is)

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Patty Duke perhaps?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Patty Duke perhaps?
    Probably should have clarified -- RPI = Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, where I got my M.S. So I'm guessing no

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Patty Duke perhaps?
    Peppermint

A previous company named its network printers after mountains.

Everest was on the top, 6th, floor; going down, there was McKinley (5th) , Kilimanjaro (4th), Fuji (3rd), and Old Rag (2nd).

We used to have a server farm for a project:

Enterprise
    Voyager
    DS9
    Delta Flyer
    Excelsior

The admin passwords were always of the form: Janeway001, Sisko001, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    We used to have a server farm for a project:

Enterprise
    Voyager
    DS9
    Delta Flyer
    Excelsior

The admin passwords were always of the form: Janeway001, Sisko001, etc...
    LOL..That's awesome. The community college I went to IT staff named their top 2 servers Kodos and Kang. Gotta love geeks. Proud to be one, by the way!

When I set up networks in our apartment, I used to use mathematician names. Euler, Fermat, Descartes...

My wife kept complaining and mispronouncing Euler. So now it's "vaio", "compaq dinosaur" and the SSID is the street name where we lived in Europe.

I like Kang and Kodos.

I like it when people have fun with publicly broadcast SSIDs. A few that have made me laugh include "Free Virus," "Steve and Marks House of Fun," and "dontUdare."

My SSID is snrub, of course.

Smile The Bouviers

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    At RPI, our CS servers were (the ones I can remember anyway):
    Monica
    Ashley
    Mary-Kate
    Barbara
    Jenna
    I'd have thought Selma would be next after Patty (Simpsons reference).

But Monica?
    Last edited by Lavabe; 07-25-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Monica

We had development servers a few jobs ago that were

Luke
    Vader
    Solo
    Chewie
    Obi
    Yoda

---
    we had a new CSR who asked why if we had a 'Luke' we didn't have Laura...she was never heard from again

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I like it when people have fun with publicly broadcast SSIDs. A few that have made me laugh include "Free Virus," "Steve and Marks House of Fun," and "dontUdare."
    I spent 6 weeks living in a corporae apt in downtown DC. One of the open wireless networks there was named: "Brendayoureallyshouldsecureyourwirelessconnection "

It worked out well that Brenda didn't, since I was there for just 6 weeks and didn't want to buy a wireless modem, I just used her signal...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Those are fun too. My last one was "lots_of_viruses_here", my current one is "GoAwayYouLeech"