Can I run for U.S. President in 2012?

Other than being a legal citizen, and older than 35 (is it 35), what law/rule would keep me for running?

I think it would be cool to tell your kids that many people (i.e. 100+) voted for you to be President of the United States.

Shammrog will be my running mate.

Boon/Shammrog '12. - "What's in YOUR wallet?"

-EarlJam

Do you really want the press telling the public all about your past?

You have to be more than a legal citizen; you need to have been born here.

(It is presumed that this extends to those who were born abroad on military bases, although I don't think a court has addressed it).

Also, you can write yourself in but if you are not pre-approved (at least in Georgia) as a write-in candidate your vote does not technically count. I don't know all the technicalities of that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    Do you really want the press telling the public all about your past?
    no.

xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Other than being a legal citizen, and older than 35 (is it 35), what law/rule would keep me for running?

I think it would be cool to tell your kids that many people (i.e. 100+) voted for you to be President of the United States.

-EarlJam
    You might want to make a run for Senator first, you know, to get your foot in the door at least, then you'd have just as much if not more experience than one of the candidates in this years election Go for it EJ, I'd totally vote for the EarlRog ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    You might want to make a run for Senator first, you know, to get your foot in the door at least, then you'd have just as much if not more experience than one of the candidates in this years election Go for it EJ, I'd totally vote for the EarlRog ticket.
    Senator? Foot in the door? Foot in the stall?

My first campaign promise: Free ponies for every American family!

-EJ

eligibility

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You have to be more than a legal citizen; you need to have been born here.

(It is presumed that this extends to those who were born abroad on military bases, although I don't think a court has addressed it).
    I'm not a Constitutional scholar, but I'm pretty sure the requirement is that you are born a legal citizen and not a naturalized citizen. Place of birth is not important if both of your parents are citizens at the time of your birth.

In addition to the requirement that you are 35 years old and were born an American citizen, you would also be disqualified if you've already served two terms as U.S. President.

Have you?

If you meet these qualifications, you could declare yourself a candidate (for 2008 -- why wait until 2012?) and urge people to vote for you. Getting on the ballot is a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. and requires a lot of rigamarole (different in every state), but that never stopped Pat Paulsen or Harold Stassen. Not sure about the write in laws at the various states, but so what if they don't count it -- in Florida, they don't count the votes for guys who are on the ballot.

Make your Presidential run ... good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

-EarlJam
    Run for some office in Minnesota. They'll elect anyone. You're at least as funny as Al Franken.

You also have to be alive to run, and you can't vote if you've been convicted of a felony by the time of the election. So you're kinda being presumptious. on a couple of different fronts.

Edit to add: I think you can still run as a dead person in Louisiana. And John Ashcroft lost his last election in Congress to a dead guy. So there is some wiggle room there.

EJ, Shamm, I think you both have shared too much with us, your adoring fans, to make a run for public office a good idea.

I mean, a campaign always brings out the skeletons in one's closet, and I think we know how many are in EJ's - neighbors, cats, ferrets - it could get ugly. At least BB escaped.

Wink Alaska's new senator

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    EJ, Shamm, I think you both have shared too much with us, your adoring fans, to make a run for public office a good idea.

I mean, a campaign always brings out the skeletons in one's closet, and I think we know how many are in EJ's - neighbors, cats, ferrets - it could get ugly. At least BB escaped.
    Is EJam trying to get his foot in the door by running for office from Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Is EJam trying to get his foot in the door by running for office from Alaska?
    Shoot, that's probably a much harder task than running in Atlanta - there's only 1 house seat for the whole state! EJ'd probably have to sleep with Ted Stevens AND Frank Murkowski just to get a decent endorsement. (Plus, Atlanta's not known for being... picky about its politicians. )

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    Run for some office in Minnesota. They'll elect anyone. You're at least as funny as Al Franken.
    I think Minnesota should institute battle royales to determine their elected officials.
    EarlJam vs. Jesse Ventura. Blind-folded, jello, cage match, live on pay-per-view.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You also have to be alive to run...
    Hi OPK,

Alive? Yes.

Awake? Obviously, not.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Hi OPK,

Alive? Yes.

Awake? Obviously, not.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

TAN, RESTED AND READY.

NIXON '08

Yessssssss

I was looking for another option besides Obama and McCain...

Thanks Earl Jam.

When/Where is the rally event and what type of beer will be on tap?

On several occasions I have threatened to change my name to "None of the Above" and run for political office. The only problem is, I'd probably win.