Thread: Insomniacs

Insomniacs

Any other DBR Posters suffer from insomnia?
    If so, what works for you? I typically go through phases every month or so where I can't sleep for a few days. I usually crash out after the third day or so. Right now, I'm on about a week bender; barely getting any sleep and when I do, it's interrupted constantly.

Insomnia sucks.

Exclamation Not insomnia per se, but ...

During high-stress times, I'm lucky if I can get past 4 hours of straight sleep. With moderate stress, I'm at about 4-5 hours of sleep. During low stress times, I can get a normal 7-8 hours of sleep. Unlike you, I can fall asleep, but it's too often interrupted easily.

My stress has been work related, but normal family battles between my daughter and wife will also do it to me.

Air quality affects me big time. Pollen isn't nearly as bad as ozone.

Exercise during the day has helped somewhat with some of these factors.

Rich foods also interrupt my sleep: ice cream anytime after 4PM during the day, pizza for dinner, and sugar cookies. Two years ago I eliminated ALL caffeine from my diet, and that has also helped.

Some dark brews actually help my sleep. On the other hand, pilseners hurt my sleep. Ymm... beer!

Definitely get looked at! Lack of sleep will wear you down in many ways.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 07-24-2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Air Quality

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    If so, what works for you?
    Not often, but that's when I tend to post at 2, or 3, or 4 a.m. here on the DBR.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    During high-stress times, I'm lucky if I can get past 4 hours of straight sleep. With moderate stress, I'm at about 4-5 hours of sleep. During low stress times, I can get a normal 7-8 hours of sleep. Unlike you, I can fall asleep, but it's too often interrupted easily.

My stress has been work related, but normal family battles between my daughter and wife will also do it to me.

Air quality affects me big time. Pollen isn't nearly as bad as ozone.

Exercise during the day has helped somewhat with some of these factors.

Rich foods also interrupt my sleep: ice cream anytime after 4PM during the day, pizza for dinner, and sugar cookies. Two years ago I eliminated ALL caffeine from my diet, and that has also helped.

Some dark brews actually help my sleep. On the other hand, pilseners hurt my sleep. Ymm... beer!

Definitely get looked at! Lack of sleep will wear you down in many ways.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Beer, rich foods (especially cheese) keep me up all night too. I'm also a major stress monkey. I usually leave work at work, and can mediate away anything that's bothering me. Right now, I really can't find anything that's bothering me, this almost feels physiological.

I've considered getting looked at but I'm reluctant for a few reasons. First, I'm more than aware that I'm not in peak condition. I've recently changed the diet and started working out again. If I don't get sleep soon, or if I sleep soon and the pattern returns in a month or so, I guess I'll go see a doc.

Second, I'm not a big fan of sleeping pills.

Me too!

I'm having insomnia issues too, well only for the last couple of nights. But, it's having a big impact on me today. I am struggling to keep my eyes open at work.

One thing that may help with insomnia, is a really boring book. Maybe I'll pull out an old college text book. Yeah, that ought to help me fall asleep.

I use melatonin (3mg) to help sleep when I am in that non-sleep period of my day to day life.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I use melatonin (3mg) to help sleep when I am in that non-sleep period of my day to day life.
    My CEO swears by the stuff whenever he flies to the west coast. I know it's a naturally occurring hormone but are there any adverse effects, dependencies?

If so, what works for you? I typically go through phases every month or so where I can't sleep for a few days. I usually crash out after the third day or so. Right now, I'm on about a week bender; barely getting any sleep and when I do, it's interrupted constantly.

Insomnia sucks.
    I have very bad issues with that, too. Always have. The best thing for me is to think about some form of disembodiment - like jumping on an imaginary trampoline or driving somewhere. This seems to get my mind off the constant churning that so often keeps me awake.

My CEO swears by the stuff whenever he flies to the west coast. I know it's a naturally occurring hormone but are there any adverse effects, dependencies?
    I have used it for a couple years and do not have any dependencies. I sleep without it most of the time - using it only occasionally. I have not noticed any side effects of any kind.

Smile

Beer, rich foods (especially cheese) keep me up all night too. I'm also a major stress monkey. I usually leave work at work, and can mediate away anything that's bothering me. Right now, I really can't find anything that's bothering me, this almost feels physiological.

I've considered getting looked at but I'm reluctant for a few reasons. First, I'm more than aware that I'm not in peak condition. I've recently changed the diet and started working out again. If I don't get sleep soon, or if I sleep soon and the pattern returns in a month or so, I guess I'll go see a doc.

Second, I'm not a big fan of sleeping pills.
    I'm not a fan of sleeping pills either. In my case the stress manifested itself in cervical degenerative disk pain, which fed into this pattern even more. I'm also a bad snorer, and apnea was definitely an issue.

Amazing what happened as soon as I got a new job away from Atlanta:
    1) Neck pain gone;
    2) Blood pressure is low again;
    3) Sleep returned;
    4) Started losing weight again.

If you're a "major stress monkey," it couldn't hurt to get checked on this.

Cheers,
    Lavabe