Thread: Bad News for GT

Bad News for GT

Dickey gone

I agree that the loss of Dickey hurts Tech's depth, but keep in mind that he averaged 8.1 points and 5.3 rebounds two years ago before sitting out last season. It's not like UNC losing Hansbrough.

Hewitt still has an abundance of mediocre big bodies (which is what Dickey was). Actually, I'd guess that 6-8 Gani Lawal has a chance to be better than that, although he was just 7.2 ppg., 3.5 rpg. as a freshman last season.

Also in the mix are 6-10 Alade Aminu (6.0 ppg., 4.1 rpg.), 6-8 Zack Peacock (9.9 ppg., 3.9 rpg.) and 6-11 Brad Sheehan, a redshirt soph who only played in 12 games (0.9 ppg, 1.2 rpb.).

The point is that Hewitt still has three solid players and one unproven player to rotate at the two post spots. Dickey would have provided a fourth such solid player.

Georgia Tech's chances of being a middle echelon ACC team (as opposed to a bottom feeder) are going to depend on either (1) Mo Miller maturing into a stud point guard as a soph; or (2) Iman Shumpert (the team's only recruit) having an ACC rookie of the year type season as a combo guard.

PS I have to take issue with the DBR comment that Dickey's departure might help with the recruitment of Derrick Favors ... Dickey would have been a fifth year senior anyway, so he wasn't going to be around next season anyway.