Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ringtone--not for adults?

When I first heard this, I thought it was a joke--a ringtone for kids that adults cannot hear. But, with the wonders of the internet, learning anything is possible:

"A tone outside the audible range of hearing for most people over the age of 30. This means that you can get phone calls and receive text messages in class or school without teachers hearing it."

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

These are pretty amazing. We tested this out with my in-laws (~60) myself and my wife (~30) and her bro and his gf (~24). These things actually work. My father in law couldn't hear any of them. And my bro-in-law's gf could hear the 24 yo ones that I couldn't hear.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    These are pretty amazing. We tested this out with my in-laws (~60) myself and my wife (~30) and her bro and his gf (~24). These things actually work. My father in law couldn't hear any of them. And my bro-in-law's gf could hear the 24 yo ones that I couldn't hear.
    Don't bet the farm on these. I am well over 60 and heard all of them quite clearly when I just tested them.

Ugh. I turn 30 in 3 weeks and the only ones I could hear were 'Everyone' and '60 & Younger.' What have I done to my ears?

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Ugh. I turn 30 in 3 weeks and the only ones I could hear were 'Everyone' and '60 & Younger.' What have I done to my ears?
    Maybe it is that wonderful music you youngsters listen to?

Way too much iThis and iThat.

-jk

I have 2 months until 28, and I can only hear one more of them than BB.

Now that I'm 25 I guess that's why I couldn't hear the 24 & younger one, haha. And I just barely heard the 30 & younger - it sounded like when a TV or monitor is on in the background and you just feel something's slightly amiss...

I heard an initial "click" on some of the 24 & younger, but no tone really.

I played these things on the computer in the playroom while my 11-year-old was playing in the room. He covered his ears with his hands and practically yelled "Turn that DOWN!" Apparently it annoyed him greatly. I couldn't hear squat.

With headphones I can hear up to 12kHz, but no more.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I played these things on the computer in the playroom while my 11-year-old was playing in the room. He covered his ears with his hands and practically yelled "Turn that DOWN!" Apparently it annoyed him greatly. I couldn't hear squat.
    Some stores are using the sounds to chase away loitering teens.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Not to compare kids to dogs, but the same thing happened with my 8 year old cocker spaniel. He kept looking at the computer and then glaring at me.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I heard an initial "click" on some of the 24 & younger, but no tone really.
    Word. At 24 and below I get the clicks then The bleeps... The sweeps... and the creeps.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Word. At 24 and below I get the clicks then The bleeps... The sweeps... and the creeps.
    There's only one man who would dare give me the raspberry.

Woot! Turning 27 in October and I can hear 17.4khz and just barely hear 18khz (both 24 and younger). Having played musical instruments for ~23 years (10 of them in marching band), I was worried my hearing would be bad, but this is good I guess Probably helps that I haven't been to many concerts - maybe 3? even then, only 1 of them was indoors...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I tested this at work. I'm 38, but couldn't hear the 39 and younger one. My co-worker is 28 and it hurt his ears, he said he could almost feel it in his teeth.

So I've got the hearing of a 50 year old. Great.

I could hear up to the first 24 year old one. I'm 32. My kids and baby could hear them all. I felt a definite painful pressure in my ear with a couple of the ones I couldn't hear. I wonder if teens can hear their parents calling to check up on them when they're leaving the maroon 5 concert?

There's only one man who would dare give me the raspberry.
    God willing, we'll all meet again in Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money.