• The Hulk

8 20.51%
  • Ironman

3 7.69%
  • Aquaman

23 58.97%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Amen. I always hated DC comics. The only DC-based movie I've thought was reasonably good was the last Batman. Didn't like the first one and all the other Batmans were atrocious, haven't been able to get into any of the Supermans.
    Even McFarlane's work for DC was poopoo.
    I was excited to watch the new Superman, then was astonished how completely bored out of my mind I was. The last Batman was the best (I still haven't seen the Dark Knight) of the DC comics.

I couldn't vote for Aquaman, b/c frankly, he was hot on Smallville.

The Hulk is just lame, though -- can't speak, rather irrational in his behaviors, quite the lout, all in all.

Anyone but Batman!!

As I wrote in a PM earlier today (paraphrasing)...

Work turned into stupid city today. I was dealing with the superhero known as I'm-Too-Busy-to-Deal-With-You-Right-Now-Because-I'm-Handling-Personal-Matters. Even though this person gave you a deadline that passed over an hour or day ago. Riiiiiight.
    And let's not forget, Mr/Ms I'm Too Busy To Return Your Call/Email Even Though I Have the Info You So Desperately Need.

Aka Keeper of All That Is Sacred or Important (And I Share On a Need To Know Basis As Determined by Me).

Aka Major Powertrip (pun intended).

Do you mean physically the weakest or the weakest concept? Because I believe aquaman has superhuman strength (in water at least)
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    My current nemesis is Rejectra. She has the power to morph accounting policies to justify rejecting every requisition at least once. This power is complemented by her ability to explain in a very sincere voice how "this is the way we've always done requisitions." She'll stop at nothing to destroy all workplace productivity.
    Wait, you mean Rejectra has cloned herself and is now at work in your office too? Do her evil powers know no bounds??

*Love* this thread... good antidote to a day when I'm going to have to work late.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I was excited to watch the new Superman, then was astonished how completely bored out of my mind I was.
    Yeah, whoever that guy was was terrible as Superman. He was just sort of blandly nice and only showed emotion when people were trying to kill him. I hope they replace him for the second (or seventh?) one.

Justice League of America

Reading this thread reminds me of Jerry Seinfield's routine about the Justice League of America. My memory on this is not perfect, but it goes something like this:

"What's with the Justice League? They've got Superman ... why do they need all those other guys. Got a problem, let Superman do it. He's Superman!"

For those of you who didn't waste their youth reading DC Comics, the Justice League of America was a collection of the the DC superheros -- Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Flash, Wonder Woman ... I think there was some guy in a Robin Hood outfit (the Arrow?). Maybe more.

Looking back, the DC Comics of my youth were pretty lame -- pre-teen stuff. The Marvel Comics are pretty lame too, but aimed at a slightly older, more mature demographic (teens who couldn't get dates). It's been a long time since I was a comic book geek, but what little I've seen in recent years, I think the Batman brand has been Marvelized. Some of the Dark Knight stuff is a good deal more mature than the "Holy terror, Batman!" stuff I grew up on.

Batman! Not even a superhero. What "super" abilities does he even have? He just has gadgets and a cool car. Nothing more than James Bond with a silly suit, and without a gun. He sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    Batman! Not even a superhero. What "super" abilities does he even have? He just has gadgets and a cool car. Nothing more than James Bond with a silly suit, and without a gun. He sucks.
    Yeah, it's the same deal with Iron Man too. The rest of the characters are all altered humans, which truly makes them super.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Yeah, but he and Iron Man are disgustingly rich, handsome bachelors. They could spend all of their days and nights endeavoring in devilish delights for their own satisfaction. Instead, they risk life and limb chasing bad guys and making the world a better place. Can't knock that.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yeah, but he and Iron Man are disgustingly rich, handsome bachelors. They could spend all of their days and nights endeavoring in devilish delights for their own satisfaction. Instead, they risk life and limb chasing bad guys and making the world a better place. Can't knock that.
    In addition, originally Iron Man was forced to wear the suit because of a heart defect. Some of the features may have been unnecessary for that purpose I s'pose, but it wasn't just a "Hey I'm gonna wear a suit now!" thing for him. I think. Someone else (really anyone else) on here is probably a better comic book expert than I.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

That may make them heroes, but does not make them super!

That may make them heroes, but does not make them super!
    Question: what super powers does a Walmart Supercenter have?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Always Low Prices!!!

By the way, for all you erudite, literary folks on the board who also like comic books, if you haven't read "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay," by Michael Chabon, you're missing out. It centers on two cousins involved in the early american Comic book industry, and really gets into what makes a good superhero. It also just is a good story, well-written - the Pulitzer committee thought so, as they awarded it top prize in 2001.

Dude, I voted Batman. I love Batman, don't get me wrong. But he's NOT a SUPER hero. He is a totally bada** regular guy who is highly trained, intelligent, wealthy, connected, and driven. Likewise, technically, Ironman is not a SUPER hero either. He is just an insanely rich guy with health problems and a suit.

If I'd thought about it, I probably would have voted for Ironman over Batman, as Batman would win in a fight. Just like in his fights with Superman, he'd get his butt handed to him at first, but he'd figure out a way to deactivate Ironman's power system and leave him just a sick dude in a REALLY heavy, useless hunk of metal.

Just watch the Incredibles. Ironman is basically Syndrome.

Oh, and your poll doesn't match your thread title. I would answer which is the "weakest" totally differently than I would answer which is the "worst".
    Last edited by bjornolf; 07-24-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: addition...

oops, sorry. I didn't see that there was a page 2 of this thread, so I didn't notice that people had already pointed out that Ironman and Batman weren't superheroes. Oh well, my point about the Incredibles still holds.

hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Super Walmart has the power to move into a small town and crush the souls of all the small businesses in the area, hire all their employees, and swell to dominate the local economy like an ugly version of Jabba the Hutt.