Doyel on Coach Cutcliffe

This might've been posted elsewhere (looked and didn't see it) but Doyel has a nice, brief write-up on Coach Cutcliffe.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10905514

The primary column is about Jim Grobe's loyalty to Wake Forest, but the side bar is about Duke and Cutcliffe. Although Doyel rightfully upsets a lot of Duke fans, it's nice to hear him proclaim Cutcliffe as the best 1-A hire of the last year.

Well...

Well, unlike Coach K, Coach Cut hasn't refused to cooperate on a book with Doyel. Or, at least, hasn't yet...

sagegrouse

If there's a compliment in there, it is as back-handed as it gets.

. . . . but we'll show 'em.

Who cares about compliments!

I believe that Doyel is correct: Duke made the best hire of the off-season.

The home opener is fast approaching! Go Duke!!

Strength and conditioning!

It was great to read that 4 strength and conditioning coaches have been added since spring practice, and to read Coach Cutcliffe's comment that he knows he can make an immediate impact through conditioning.

It has appeared to me that strength and conditioning have been major issues, an opinion that was backed up by some recently graduated players.

Coach Cutcliffe appears to have been a fantastic hire, and one of unexpected quality given our football past.
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If there's a compliment in there, it is as back-handed as it gets.

. . . . but we'll show 'em.
    One quote I found interesting by Eron, "I was surprised Cutcliffe would take the Duke job, coming from Tennessee."

What's that mean, Eron was disappointed Cut took the job - wanted someone else?

Let's hope for a strong start this season.

I took it to mean...

I took it to mean that Eron was legitimately surprised Duke got an assistant coach from a football school like Tennessee to take over as head coach. In other words, Eron was pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    One quote I found interesting by Eron, "I was surprised Cutcliffe would take the Duke job, coming from Tennessee."

What's that mean, Eron was disappointed Cut took the job - wanted someone else?

Let's hope for a strong start this season.
    No, he's just saying that he's surprised Cutcliffe would choose Duke, when he certainly could have gone to coach at better football schools, and was already on staff at a football school (Tennessee).

Thats whats so great about this hire...Cutcliffe could most certainly have gone elsewhere, but chose Duke. This guy has me really excited about football not just for next year, but for the future in general. I'm glad I spent the past 2 years in Ohio surrounded by football fans, getting my football knowledge on. Now that I'm back here, I'll get to see the football games with Cutcliffe at the helm (and get back to going to basketball games, which I dearly missed while I was away).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm glad I spent the past 2 years in Ohio surrounded by football fans, getting my football knowledge on. Now that I'm back here, I'll get to see the football games with Cutcliffe at the helm (and get back to going to basketball games, which I dearly missed while I was away).
    This is a pretty cool perspective. I was never a huge fan of college football, mostly because of so many disparate offenses and sooooo many teams. I never surrounded myself with college football fans. Now, I'm getting pretty excited after silently following the threads on Coach Cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    No, he's just saying that he's surprised Cutcliffe would choose Duke, when he certainly could have gone to coach at better football schools, and was already on staff at a football school (Tennessee).

Thats whats so great about this hire...Cutcliffe could most certainly have gone elsewhere, but chose Duke. This guy has me really excited about football not just for next year, but for the future in general. I'm glad I spent the past 2 years in Ohio surrounded by football fans, getting my football knowledge on. Now that I'm back here, I'll get to see the football games with Cutcliffe at the helm (and get back to going to basketball games, which I dearly missed while I was away).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxefsfkyuI0

I believe this is the interview from whence came the quote. I am not sure Eron is quoted accurately. The question from a reporter, was more like, "weren't you surprised that a coach like Cutcliffe would take the Duke job," with a tone like Duke is such as awful program, etc. The interview is a bit hard to follow with background noise. It seems one of the reasons we landed Eron was that he started playing football a bit later than a lot of kids to go on to the D1 level.

The interviewers also brought up the Louisville case, something like, "doesn't that make you feel bad that your own university admitted its program was so bad...etc?"

We just need a couple of breakout / surprise wins, and the negative edginess of Doyel can be a thing of the past.

I certainly presume Cutcliffe will do a better job of coaching, that he is doing a better job of coaching. I like just about everything I hear him say. He seems to be indentifying better students in the recruiting process. I would have to think that the admin is happy with him at this point.