Robin Hood on BBC America

Have you been watching Robin Hood on BBC? My whole family has been sucked into this series this season. If you like Robin Hood, or grew up loving Robin Hood as I did, you should check it out. Saturday at 9. Two more new episodes this season.

There are frequent replays of past episodes:
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/tvschedule.jsp?showsList=195

Here is the web site: http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/195/index.jsp

The characters are all played excellently. Robin, Marian, the Sheriff, Robin's gang; all are wonderful.

As far as I am concerned, this is the best thing on TV right now. And your kids (maybe slightly older kids) will love it.
    ~rthomas

I've caught a few episodes so far, and have enjoyed them very much. Having just picked the show up right in the middle, I stopped watching after deciding I liked it, and added the DVDs to my Netflix que so that I can watch the show in the correct order. Sometimes I do have difficulty in understanding everything that is said.

The BBC is putting out some quality fictional programming these days. I am absolutely addicted to Doctor Who, and to the spin off of Torchwood.

My wife started TiVoing it from the first episode. I watch it with her on the weekends. It's not bad, we like it as a diversion, but there are just so many plot holes, it's painful. For an evil supergenius, the sheriff is pretty dumb and misses some pretty obvious stuff. And despite the fact that every bad guy in the show has been to the outlaw's camp, they STILL haven't bothered to move, and it still hasn't bitten them in the bum. Thank god they've stopped doing the flying arrow every five seconds. That was getting SO annoying. And it's acted in a very HIP, modern way, which is fun, but it really doesn't feel like a true robin hood to me because of that. It reminds me more of Robin Hood from the Shrek movies.

So, yeah, it's cool and it's fun, but I'd have a tough time calling it the best thing on TV right now. I prefer Monk, Psych, Burn Notice. My wife prefers In Plain Sight. For campy thrills, Middle Man is awesome. I even like Stargate Atlantis, which is having new episodes now, better. I guess it's a matter of opinion.

ooh, ooh, and Eureka is coming back. Now THAT'S a show I LOVE!
    Last edited by bjornolf; 07-22-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: addition...

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    Sometimes I do have difficulty in understanding everything that is said.
    Why? It isn't like they have broad accents in the show.

The BBC is putting out some quality fictional programming these days.

These days? Um, the BBC had been putting out quality programming for decades. And their shows are often much better than what comes out of North America (which explains why so many American series, including many that are considered classics, have been based on earlier BBC series).

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Have you been watching Robin Hood on BBC? My whole family has been sucked into this series this season. If you like Robin Hood, or grew up loving Robin Hood as I did, you should check it out. Saturday at 9. Two more new episodes this season.

There are frequent replays of past episodes:
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/tvschedule.jsp?showsList=195

Here is the web site: http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/195/index.jsp

The characters are all played excellently. Robin, Marian, the Sheriff, Robin's gang; all are wonderful.

As far as I am concerned, this is the best thing on TV right now. And your kids (maybe slightly older kids) will love it.
    Are you guys getting the first series or the second? BBC Canada is playing the second series right now but, because I'm in Britain, I'm missing most of it and will have to wait for the reruns (my PVR was emptied and set to record all of the Eastenders episodes I'm missing while over here so I didn't have room to record Robin Hood).

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Why? It isn't like they have broad accents in the show.

These days? Um, the BBC had been putting out quality programming for decades. And their shows are often much better than what comes out of North America (which explains why so many American series, including many that are considered classics, have been based on earlier BBC series).
    I'm not trying to diss the BBC. I just can't speak firsthand of anything more recent than the past year or two. I've only recently discovered the quality programming from across the Atlantic. Until stumbling into Doctor Who and Robin Hood I thought the BBC just had decorating shows that TLC rips off.

As for my difficulty in understanding the dialogue in Robin Hood... I can't say why. I can make out other BBC shows alright. It's probably just me.

You'll get no argument from me about the quality of programming coming out of the US. A few gems, and lots of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    I'm not trying to diss the BBC. I just can't speak firsthand of anything more recent than the past year or two. I've only recently discovered the quality programming from across the Atlantic. Until stumbling into Doctor Who and Robin Hood I thought the BBC just had decorating shows that TLC rips off.

As for my difficulty in understanding the dialogue in Robin Hood... I can't say why. I can make out other BBC shows alright. It's probably just me.

You'll get no argument from me about the quality of programming coming out of the US. A few gems, and lots of junk.
    The BBC does historical drama better than anybody else, with the possible exception of a couple of other British channels. And, to be perfectly honest, their everyday programming is far superior to anything in North America whether it be documentaries, comedies, or current events shows. The BBC is the standard to which all other networks should aspire.