Health Myths (positive and negative)

This will help us all.

Targeted especially (but not exclusively) to Duke people with med backgrounds:

What are some health myths both positive and negative that we c- an all avoid or embrace?

FYI - This was inspired by a trip to the local convenience store where EarlJam laughed when he saw a roll of SweeTarts labled, "Fat Free!"

"OH! SweeTarts are HEALTHY!"

-EJ

My favorite so far is the blurb on a package of pork rinds---"Atkins Approved"

My second favorite - "Zero Trans-Fats"

Artichokes

How about a specific rumor for confirmation/debunking? Do artichokes really help your liver regenerate? As one who occasionally over-imbibes in fermented beverages, I'd be very curious to hear the details on this. Is there a particular timing/preparation/variety/minimum quantity/part of the artichoke that makes it more or less effective?

All I really know about artichokes is that they'll blow up your friend's garbage disposal, leaving a very stringy mess.

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    How about a specific rumor for confirmation/debunking? Do artichokes really help your liver regenerate? As one who occasionally over-imbibes in fermented beverages, I'd be very curious to hear the details on this.
    Not artichokes, you may be confusing them with milk thistle (taken as capsules). Traditionally, artichokes are used by herbalists for stomach pains and high cholesterol . . . though I know of no peer-reviewed research to support that claim. Milk thistle, on the other hand, is a well-recognized and researched liver aid.

Cheers!