Thread: Phone scam

Phone scam

For a little over a year, we've been receiving calls from an message system saying something to the effect of "There is nothing wrong with your credit card, but it is urgent..."

It's obviously a scam, and we've tried many times to get them to stop (including saying quite directly: "how do you live with yourself doing this?")

The return phone number has always been different, and I've strongly suspected that the numbers have been spoofed (ie, somehow sending a fake number for the caller ID).

That suspicion has been confirmed, because we've been getting bombarded with angry people calling us back. Apparently they've now started using *our* phone number.

I'm livid, and not quite sure what I can do about this. All I can say is, if you get calls like this, please realize that the number you see is that of another victim, and not the bastards doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    For a little over a year, we've been receiving calls from an message system saying something to the effect of "There is nothing wrong with your credit card, but it is urgent..."

It's obviously a scam, and we've tried many times to get them to stop (including saying quite directly: "how do you live with yourself doing this?")

The return phone number has always been different, and I've strongly suspected that the numbers have been spoofed (ie, somehow sending a fake number for the caller ID).

That suspicion has been confirmed, because we've been getting bombarded with angry people calling us back. Apparently they've now started using *our* phone number.

I'm livid, and not quite sure what I can do about this. All I can say is, if you get calls like this, please realize that the number you see is that of another victim, and not the bastards doing this.
    Are you registered? https://www.donotcall.gov/

Unlawful Call Center

You should contact your telephone service provider (be that AT&T (Bell South), Verizon, Comcast, Vonage, etc.) to see what they can do for you. I know that Verizon has an Unlawful Call Center that will work on your behalf if the calls are deemed unlawful and you will prosecute.

You could also contact your local law enforcement.

I received a couple such calls for days in a row. It turned out to be legit because I had two credit cards that have similar payees. I paid one but not the other. After receiving the message, I made the payment myself. I called them back - they wanted me to pay over the phone. I refused and told them to wait for the payment I had just processed. Worked out ok. Before you completely ignore the call, make sure it is not legit.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Are you registered? https://www.donotcall.gov/
    Yes, but that's irrelevant. The people I'm talking about clearly don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    I received a couple such calls for days in a row. It turned out to be legit because I had two credit cards that have similar payees. I paid one but not the other. After receiving the message, I made the payment myself. I called them back - they wanted me to pay over the phone. I refused and told them to wait for the payment I had just processed. Worked out ok. Before you completely ignore the call, make sure it is not legit.
    It is most definitely not legit. Otherwise, why would they need to spoof the phone number? In addition, we do not carry a balance on our cards, and pay on time every month.

The script of the call also makes it clear, as do the conversations I have with the people:

Recorded voice: Hi, this is Samantha [or some other woman's name]. There is no problem with your credit card, but it is urgent that you speak with us about your interest rate. Please press one to be connected to a live operator.

The script sometimes changes, sometimes having a phrase about "this is your final chance to take advantage..." or something similar.

I've pressed one, and the people I've spoken with cannot name the bank with which I have my credit card, nor do they identify what company they work for. Nor do they have call back information.

Since you are registered, you should be able to contact the office of your State's Attorney General to report the violation.

Et tu, Europe? Or did you guys move back to the States?

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Et tu, Europe? Or did you guys move back to the States?
    We moved back a few weeks ago.

But, we use vonage, so had brought our US phone with us to Europe.

One advantage of this - we've gotten to speak to people in other parts of the country! the scammer seems to be concentrating on Texas and surrounding states. Some people have been angry, some confused.

My wife had a long conversation with one of the people. Apparently this scam is not an interest rate scam, but something to do with car insurance.

They're spamming you, trying to sell things. I get the same thing ocassionally about my wife's car's warranty (which has been out of warranty for year), saying it's "about to expire". I just hang up.

I'd file a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    They're spamming you, trying to sell things. I get the same thing ocassionally about my wife's car's warranty (which has been out of warranty for year), saying it's "about to expire". I just hang up.

I'd file a complaint.
    They're not spamming *me*, they're spamming other people, making my phone number appear on people's caller IDs.

I don't even know how I can file a complaint. The people calling me are victims. Maybe I'll start encouraging them to file complaints.

They're not spamming *me*, they're spamming other people, making my phone number appear on people's caller IDs.
    We've changed our phone number. Apparently this is becoming more common.

What freaks me out a little was that plugging our phone number into google reveals my wife's name and our address. Google also helpfully provides a satellite picture of our building, and a streetview picture of our front door.

The receptionist here told me that it happened with our main number here too. In that case, the phone company was able to trace the calls (by tracing the incoming calls). Vonage apparently can't do that. I'm not sure if it's because we're just a 30/month line (compared to a high volume business line), or whether it's because Vonage just doesn't have the ability to investigate these things. Maybe that's one of the benefits of being with a traditional phone company.