Thread: Mad Men

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Mad Men

Watched AMC's Mad Men marathon today, (unfortunately only the last half) and now I'm totally hooked. What a great show. I'm not in any office environment like those folks, so how much of what goes on in the show (which is supposedly pretty true to reality then environment wise) actually goes on today? Obviously the smoking is a thing of the past, but everyone also has a drink in hand. I keep thinking of Darren in Bewitched, Sam offered up a drink every time he came home, and he was an ad guy also, so for all I know he was already smashed when he walked in the door.
    Watching Peggy fight her way through a man's world and get recognized for her talents, promoted, and then out of the blue pop a baby! Agggh, didn't see that coming. But she had to. Anyways, great stuff, looking forward to Sunday's premiere.

I'm also looking forward to season 2, and if you've read a little about the 10-year, 5-season plan, the rest of the series. Here's hoping that the show continues to stay on the fringe of the major historical events of the 1960s, rather than get in the middle of everything. ("Look! It's Pete Campbell on the grassy knoll!")

Peggy -- or maybe Elisabeth Moss -- is the part of the show I really don't understand. I realize the show needs an innocent or moral center, but the actress looks modern and the character keeps making bizarre choices. Everything else about the show is exceptionally strong. Try to rent/DVR the rest of season 1 when you get a chance.

Finally, while it is the best show on TV, people make it sound like it's this outstanding piece of literature, like they did with The Sopranos. They're just TV shows, not excuses to stop reading.