Thread: Router question

Router question

My 3 or 4 year old LinKsys "Wireless-G" router has started having a problem. I use the wired ports for 2 desktops, an HP Deskjet and my Vonage phone gismo. I also use the wireless connection for my laptop when that is fired up. Recently, something stops talking to the router, even though the wireless (or wired) Windows network connection show it connected. The only solution has bee to reboot the router by unplugging it (for 15 seconds) and the powering back up. Then everything works again. It has happened to both desktops and the notebook (more frequently). And when the notebook doesn't work, the desktop has, and vice versa. One time my desktop worked and my wife's didn't. Last time (yesterday) nothing worked until it was rebooted.

The obvious quick solution is to spend another $50 or $60 and get a new router. Does anyone have another solution to actually fix my current unit?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The symptoms seem to indicate some sort of IP conflict. I really don't have a solution for you, other than upgrading the firmware on the router if you haven't tried that.

Unfortuantely I've yet to find a wireless router by any company with a lifespan of more than about 2 years.

With that said - what you can try is to set your IP's manually for your desktops and whatnot. Instead of using DHCP, just hard code them in (since they obviously won't be connecting anywhere else). Not sure about your printer and phone and how they work, but that might help some.

This happens to me fairly regularly--I called my cable company (they have the DSL lines where I live) and they told me to do the unplug for ten seconds thing-it always works, and I don't totally understand what goes wrong or why it works afterward. They tell me it "resets" it.

[QUOTE=snowdenscold;168459]Unfortuantely I've yet to find a wireless router by any company with a lifespan of more than about 2 years. QUOTE]

I've been using a WRT54G for around five years with no problems. I have an old Microsoft B-router that's almost eight years old that I set up at my parents. The newer Linksys WRT54G are not as good though. They cheaped out the RAM, CPU, etc. The GL models though are rock solid.